Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 02:05 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times

Advertisements

When Elvis Presley bought Graceland in 1957, Whitehaven was a separate community (I don't know if it was incorporated, with a mayor, aldermen, etc.) that was beginning to suburbanize. By 1970, when it was annexed by Memphis, it was a middle to upper-class area. Sometime thereafter, white flight started, and by the late 1980s Whitehaven was practically all-black. Most of the churches built for white congregations have been sold to black ones. Bishop Byrne High School closed a couple of years ago after years of declining enrollment.
But if you look at Google Maps, there are plenty of nice houses in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 09:14 PM

329 posts, read 635,598 times
I lived in Whitehaven from 2004-2010 and yes there's some nice homes and neighborhoods all through Whitehaven. The area do hold alot of middle class blacks. The thing that hurt Whitehaven is troubled apartment complexes where alot of the crime happens, deterioration, and competition from Southaven just across the stateline. Whitehaven dose show some age in some areas. It needs just more investment in the community (which is in works) to help property values.

Honestly there's neighborhoods in Whitehaven that could be dropped in Germantown and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I brought company over from different parts of town and at times some were shocked at how nice my neighborhood was. (Media perception) ...Whitehaven high school is a school that doesn't receive the credit it deserves. Many good things happen from that school. Editorial: The Authentic Success Of Whitehaven High School - Memphis Daily News

Whitehaven isn't there yet as a place I would suggest new people to Memphis to look for a place to live. Truthfully there's just better options and there's issues need to be worked. Some life long Memphians on the other hand could deal with some of the short comings and find them a deal. The Haven - Memphis Daily News

Old 12-11-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
The thing that hurt Whitehaven is troubled apartment complexes where alot of the crime happens, deterioration, and competition from Southaven just across the stateline.
There is a huge apartment complex south of Winchester, between I-55 and the airport. It may have been nice when it was first built. Could it be a hotbed of crime? It appears that some of them have been torn down.

https://goo.gl/maps/DuSqAyaAKyS2

Old 12-11-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
There is a huge apartment complex south of Winchester, between I-55 and the airport. It may have been nice when it was first built. Could it be a hotbed of crime? It appears that some of them have been torn down.

https://goo.gl/maps/DuSqAyaAKyS2
I believe they have torn it down. Haven't been on that side of town in a minute. I guarantee it was crime, a few have been shut/torn down because of it. Unfortunately alot of apartments in Whitehaven have fallen into crime hotbeds. (Pepper Tree, Lions Gate, Tulane, and etc.) Theres maybe a few with not much happening, but chances of crime raises. Then majority of them are older (1970s, 80s) with not much update done throughout the years.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:36 PM

A problem is that even if the crime-ridden apartments are torn down, the people living there will have to go somewhere. And only a minority of them are actually criminals.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
A problem is that even if the crime-ridden apartments are torn down, the people living there will have to go somewhere. And only a minority of them are actually criminals.
True there's a small percent that actually cause the trouble. A lot of people living there are just lower income, and trying to make it to the next day. Dropping the crime in Whitehaven in general will most likely help the area with value and investment. Like I said most of the neighborhoods are well kept. When I use to hear people on these boards (or another) complain about the neighborhoods around Graceland, I was confused ?? Those neighborhoods are some of the best in the area.

https://goo.gl/maps/X3hmXa22Jsx

Old 12-12-2015, 09:05 AM

Before blacks moved into Whitehaven, I'm not sure they had an upscale neighborhood of their own.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:41 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
Quote:
Before blacks moved into Whitehaven, I'm not sure they had an upscale neighborhood of their own.
I believe Glenview/ South Parkway was earlier. Although the condition of individual properties over there can be hit or miss, you can tell it was once a very nice area. Lots of the kinds of houses people pay big bucks for in Midtown.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:12 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
The changes began when the southern leg of 240 was built.

Bellevue/Hwy 51 and the businesses along there began to dry up, and property values eventually took a dive.

I remember going to see Footloose at a theatre out there in the mid-80s, and while Southland was not the top mall in the area at that time, it was not so scary to keep us Midtowners away.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:40 PM

185 posts, read 335,278 times
That brings up an interesting point. I can't think of any one city where the introduction of the interstate system in established neighborhoods didn't adversely affect it which made the fight not to allow it to run through Overton Park such a huge deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis