Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:15 PM

628 posts, read 1,685,328 times

Advertisements

The credibility gap widens for Miserables.

Cohen Beats Herenton, Will Face Off With Bergman - WREG (http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-cohen-beats-herenton,0,4233564.story - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 05:26 PM

369 posts, read 1,232,512 times
Probably one of the better election nights for Memphis and Shelby County in a long time. The right folks won and the folks who shouldn't have, did not. Watching Herenton lose was funny at first and then when I saw his post election party/speech, I kind of felt sorry for him. Nobody was there. But he did that to himself, so you move on very quickly. Having Wharton, Cohen, and Luttrell run Memphis and Shelby County is going to be nice. All three are competent and not corrupt.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:23 PM

Couldn't agree more. Last night was a great election night for the 9th & Big Shelby. Cohen was right to acknowledge some of the better points of Herenton's service, despite him being a public relations disaster. But now it's over. He will take his place in the halls of history as an infamous Memphian political figure, not unlike E.H. Crump whose political machine ruled Tennessee state politics with an iron hand for nearly 5 decades.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:44 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,852 times
It was a good night. The 9th District and Memphis sent a message that they were not going to be extorted by racial politics. Hopefully it fuels change; the fight for the future of Memphis, for the realization of the potential of the tri-state region, is far from over. It requires the sustaining and spreading of many of the same mindsets that led to yesterday's results.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,615 times
I voted for Herenton

Old 08-06-2010, 07:49 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
I voted for Herenton
Me too.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:12 PM

455 posts, read 1,558,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
I voted for Herenton
I came REAL close to doing so too and it would have been the first time ever I even considered such a thing. The only reason I didn't is that there was someone running in the GOP primary for governor I have met personally and like a lot.

But, I just get plain queasy in the stomach at the sight of Cohen and I know his personality and history as a wanna-be politician in this city. And I go back to when he first showed up here claiming he was Teddy Kennedy's presidential campaign manager in a year that Kennedy wasn't even running.

His support of gay marriage was the final straw.

I and many, many more Memphians will be voting for Charlotte Bergman. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Yep. Slick Willie got his a$$ handed to him, and rightfully so. Now he's blaming god, that it was not gawd's plan for him to be elected. What an irresponsible, totally corrupt sleazebag. Anyone who bases his entire campaign on race deserves to be wrecked in an election. This is a first, Blacks voting for the man, not the race.
Sounds like your kind of guy.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:26 PM

550 posts, read 604,249 times
Yet, whites generally vote for white candidates. Know what was funny, hearing a white person use lines from a Dr. King speech when the original speech was about oppressed people. He forgot to mention gays and non-gays coming together too. There's absolutely nothing "post-racial" about Shelby County. You know how many black people didn't know there was an election yesterday?!?! Fact is, black candidates took the black vote for granted. Their negligence cost them.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:32 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
Yet, whites generally vote for white candidates. Know what was funny, hearing a white person use lines from a Dr. King speech when the original speech was about oppressed people. He forgot to mention gays and non-gays coming together too. There's absolutely nothing "post-racial" about Shelby County. You know how many black people didn't know there was an election yesterday?!?! Fact is, black candidates took the black vote for granted. Their negligence cost them.
Gayle Rose invoked Dr. King during Lorenzen Wright's memorial. She was selected by the family; she too lost a son within the past year; her son that she lost helped Wright host basketball camps for inner city children.

For Rose, at least, I don't think invoking Dr. King was funny in an ironic unusual sense, but something very appropriate and fitting at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: