Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:04 AM

60 posts, read 206,909 times

Advertisements

Having been born and raised in Memphis, both before and after the annex, Hickory Hill always felt like it's own community and was always considered to be it's own community. I think that still holds true today. However, it seems like these days, a lot of people refer to Hickory Hill as "East Memphis." The even do it on the local news sometimes. The funny thing about that is not only is Hickory Hill geographically located in SOUTHeast Memphis, but you also never hear people who actually live in East Memphis claim Hickory Hill as part of East Memphis, while people who live in Hickory Hill are always quick to refer to themselves as "East Memphis." What do you all think? And if you agree that they are both two separate communities, then where would you say East Memphis starts and ends, and where do you think Hickory Hill starts and ends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 07:38 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,373,861 times
I'm not sure what I'd consider to be the borders, but I've never heard anyone refer to Hickory Hill as east Memphis. Maybe I'm not paying attention But I definitely would not consider it as such. To me, "east memphis" run along the Poplar corridor, and of course goes a ways north and south of that. HH is much further south than "east memphis" is to me. It's around the 240/Nonconnah area.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
Sorry this isn't PC, but I've mostly heard black people refer to Hickory Hill as part of East Memphis. White people don't usually include Hickory Hill in East Memphis.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Sorry this isn't PC, but I've mostly heard black people refer to Hickory Hill as part of East Memphis. White people don't usually include Hickory Hill in East Memphis.
Hmmm. I wonder why...

Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM

201 posts, read 636,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis10AC View Post
Hmmm. I wonder why...

the reason is quite simple...WHITES used the negative nomenclature calling Hickory Hill, Hickory HOOD, which is offensive to many Blacks and understandably so, so they refer to HH as 'east Memphis' to be a bit more fair in nomenclature....no one wants to be associated with HOODlums, whether most blacks or whites...

Again blame whites on this one.....just like the failure based on FEAR prompted by Real Estate Agents (Crye-Leike) to accelerate turnover and white flight (but still making enormous profits !!)

Blame the responsibile parties...both black and white

Blame the banks

Blame the churches

Blame the city leaders

Blame racism

Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post
the reason is quite simple...WHITES used the negative nomenclature calling Hickory Hill, Hickory HOOD, which is offensive to many Blacks and understandably so, so they refer to HH as 'east Memphis' to be a bit more fair in nomenclature....no one wants to be associated with HOODlums, whether most blacks or whites...

Again blame whites on this one.....just like the failure based on FEAR prompted by Real Estate Agents (Crye-Leike) to accelerate turnover and white flight (but still making enormous profits !!)

Blame the responsibile parties...both black and white

Blame the banks

Blame the churches

Blame the city leaders

Blame racism
Interesting concept. So when racist whites refer to Memphis as "Memphrica," should we just call it "Nashville" instead...?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:25 AM

628 posts, read 1,685,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis10AC View Post
Interesting concept. So when racist whites refer to Memphis as "Memphrica," should we just call it "Nashville" instead...?
The crime rate of Nashville-Davidson is way too high for that to be effective. We'd have to call ourselves "Trashville".

Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 AM

845 posts, read 2,541,556 times
I do not think most people consider Hickory Hill to be a part of East Memphis. Most knowledgeable black people (knowledgeable about this city and the different parts of town) know the difference in the two areas.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:35 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,373,861 times
I think the news also does this as a scare tactic to get people worked up to watch their show. You hear "murder in east Memphis" and people freak out, only to find it's down way SE in a well known bad part of town. Or "home invasion in midtown" and it turns out to be a crack house much further south than any Memphian would refer to as "midtown." ("Mugging downtown" turns to be somewhere north of Uptown, etc)

Old 07-07-2010, 10:42 AM

845 posts, read 2,541,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I think the news also does this as a scare tactic to get people worked up to watch their show. You hear "murder in east Memphis" and people freak out, only to find it's down way SE in a well known bad part of town. Or "home invasion in midtown" and it turns out to be a crack house much further south than any Memphian would refer to as "midtown." ("Mugging downtown" turns to be somewhere north of Uptown, etc)

I completely agree. The news consistently refers to parts of Parkway Village and Fox Meadows as East Memphis to get viewers worked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis