Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2007, 09:35 AM

87 posts, read 342,449 times

Advertisements

When I move to Memphis in a year or so, I will probably be attending an Episcopal church. I have always enjoyed choir singing and I hope to find a choir that doesn't mind my chirpy whispy soprano voice. What can you tell me about the music activity at Grace/St. Luke's, St. Philip's, St. John's, or Calvary? Since I also play cello, I hope to find a church that uses instruments in its worship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,166 times
Hello, Cellist, from a fellow Episcopalian!

I attended St. Mary's Cathedral while in grad school. I now attend Church of the Annunciation (Episcopal) in Cordova. So I'm not super-familiar with the churches you mentioned. However, I have heard things.

I have heard that Grace-St. Luke's choir is very good, though very traditional -- in other words, mostly organ music. St. John's has a smaller choir, also very traditional. If I were betting, I would bet that Calvary's music program is the most diverse, which would reflect the interests of its more diverse congregation.

St. Mary's, btw, has a very good choir and welcomes instruments other than the organ. There was a person who played the harp there once in a while, and I seem to remember a trumpeter also. However, parish life at St. Mary's is sadly lacking.

St. Philip's is affiliated with the 'Network', and since I'm a progressive Episcopalian, I've never bothered visiting.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:15 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Hello, Cellist, from a fellow Episcopalian!

I attended St. Mary's Cathedral while in grad school. I now attend Church of the Annunciation (Episcopal) in Cordova. So I'm not super-familiar with the churches you mentioned. However, I have heard things.

I have heard that Grace-St. Luke's choir is very good, though very traditional -- in other words, mostly organ music. St. John's has a smaller choir, also very traditional. If I were betting, I would bet that Calvary's music program is the most diverse, which would reflect the interests of its more diverse congregation.

St. Mary's, btw, has a very good choir and welcomes instruments other than the organ. There was a person who played the harp there once in a while, and I seem to remember a trumpeter also. However, parish life at St. Mary's is sadly lacking.

St. Philip's is affiliated with the 'Network', and since I'm a progressive Episcopalian, I've never bothered visiting.
Hearing from Episcopals in Memphis, there is a fairly large schism between the traditional Episcopals allying with the main church and the ultra-conservatives who want to split. I can't comment on any particular churches, but I would check out the overall vibe and see how the people there feel in regards to staying with the main church. The ones in Midtown and Downtown aren't really going to have a problem, but it is a big issue with a lot of the ones out east.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:04 AM

We are Episcopalians, not Episcopals.

The OP wasn't asking about theology or the current attempts at realignment; he/she was asking about music programs.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,545 times
Default Agricenter church

I heard that there was an Episcopal church meeting at the Agricenter. Can anyone give me more information?

Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjspr View Post
I heard that there was an Episcopal church meeting at the Agricenter. Can anyone give me more information?
It's Faith Anglican Church. It's a conservative congregation in the governance of the Anglican Church or Rwanda by way of the Anglican Mission in America. It is intentionally not part of The U.S. Episcopal Church

Old 11-21-2007, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 6,545 times
Default Curious....

Could you elaborate on this? I had heard that it was started from some former members of a church I attended many years ago before my husband was killed. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:25 AM

Faith Anglican was started by some folks who left Church of the Annunciation a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: