Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:31 AM

410 posts, read 802,551 times

Advertisements

I saw Billy Joel at Lafayette's also managed to see Barry Manalow there and the piece de resistance was singing (out of key) on stage with Doug Clark and Hot Nuts. Some serious drinkin' going on back then.

The hottest place short of Solomon Alfreds was TGI Fridays. That place was hoppin'. Some good times at that place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 18,032 times
Default Overton Square, Remembered

Rumor has it, Overton Square is trying to make a come back. Supposedly some big bucks are being dumped over there to upgrade the area, cool. Try as they may I don't think they will ever be able to match the days of past when the Square was really jumpin. As with most things the lawyers and insurance companies will make sure no one takes a risk or has any unbridled fun. I know I went there a lot back then, now if I could just remember what I did when I was there, before crawling home the next morning. I do remember the pretty girls, free flowing booze, left-handed cigarettes, friendly cops, street parties, and awesome music. ....honey, where's my tie-dyed T-shirt?

Old 10-14-2012, 03:08 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Remember Studebakers??

Old 10-14-2012, 03:14 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajacqx View Post
Man, I was back home visiting a couple months ago and was quite disappointed to see the state of things in The Square... close my eyes and I can still see college kids and young professionals crowding the streets and enjoying a night out on the town. Winter was my favorite time... you could bundle up and shiver between Solomon Alfred's and Friday's or dash across the street to Bombay Bicycle Club and warm-up around the huge open hearth fire-place. Even that French Qtr Inn that displaced SA's was deserted and appeared to be in need of a wrecking ball. And I remember The Garden Club behind white wall on Poplar and The Summer concerts at the Overton Park Shell. But more than anything else, that trip opened my eyes to what you've always heard and on some level always knew... it is true- you can't go home again... and it sort of takes your breath, and thats true no matter where you go or if you never left.
Man....you took me back to my youth on that one.....Le Chardonnay was my hiding spot to take my various lady friends.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,440 times
Smile Hot Air Balloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post

There was a duo that played at the Hot Air Balloon (above Yosemite Sam's)....I believe they called themselves "We Two" or something like that - they were great. One night Jerry Lewis showed up there and played a set...that was interesting
They were actually called "We Too", as in "we also". It was Gene Mitchell (Guitar) and Lyle Emmons (Bass). Gene is my father, and Lyle is my uncle. The people that showed up to play with them are quite Impressive actually. It was Jerry Lee Lewis, he did it quite often. Mark Collie (now a country music recording artist), a couple of guys from Amazing Rythem Aces. those guys actually played backup on one of "We Too's" records.

It was a good time for sure. Growing up in that atmoshpere has sure left it's mark on me.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:04 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,924 times
Overton Square was developed long before I was even born, so I have no memory of it. However, I get a little jealous when I see all the articles about how it used to be, since I never got to experience it. It sounded incredible and extremely wild. I know that it got started. I didn't get to see the Memphis Memories documentary on it but I have thought about buying it just to hear more of the story on the Square.

I know that it basically started in 1970 with the opening of TGI Friday's but the end of the Square as the hotspot for young Memphians is a little tough to peg from all of the reading that I have done, as it doesn't sound like it ever ended, it just seemed to slow fade away. I know it never really closed down or was without shops or restaurants. So, when did it really slow down. It sounded like maybe the mid-80s was when things went south and Beale Street started to take over. Maybe '84 or '85 was the tipping point?

Old 11-13-2014, 06:32 PM

58 posts, read 93,803 times
Our big treat night when I was a kid (I was born in '75) was to go to TGI Friday's for dinner and then to Swensen's for dessert. I loved the Public Eye as well.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 PM

329 posts, read 635,598 times
From my research the TGI Friday's that opened at Overton Square in the 70's was first outside of the original restaurant in New York.

Glad to see the square back in action. Looking at this old thread just a short few years ago, it's amazing how fast that area changed. I refer to it as "The 2nd Beale street"

Old 11-14-2014, 07:46 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Overton Square was developed long before I was even born, so I have no memory of it. However, I get a little jealous when I see all the articles about how it used to be, since I never got to experience it. It sounded incredible and extremely wild. I know that it got started. I didn't get to see the Memphis Memories documentary on it but I have thought about buying it just to hear more of the story on the Square.

I know that it basically started in 1970 with the opening of TGI Friday's but the end of the Square as the hotspot for young Memphians is a little tough to peg from all of the reading that I have done, as it doesn't sound like it ever ended, it just seemed to slow fade away. I know it never really closed down or was without shops or restaurants. So, when did it really slow down. It sounded like maybe the mid-80s was when things went south and Beale Street started to take over. Maybe '84 or '85 was the tipping point?
In its heyday, it was a mix of classy boutiques, restaurants and fun bars. As a kid in the 70s, I went there on Saturdays to shop with my parents a quite often, and they would go to the clubs occasionally to hear music (my dad was in a pretty well known 60s garage band).

In high school in the 80s, we would double date to places like the old Chicago Pizza Factory. That building languished for a LONG time after it closed. It wasn't like a sudden death for Overton Square, but more like a prolonged suffering. When key places closed, others would try to hang on.

But we never ever went to Beale Street as high-schoolers. That was barely getting revamped again and still was pretty sketchy. We just moved our date activities out east, like most Memphians. Beale Street's resurgence really took off in the early 90s. At first it felt like they were trying to sterilize the fun TOO much down there, but I'd say Beale Street now has a pretty authentic feel to it.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:35 PM

173 posts, read 443,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
From my research the TGI Friday's that opened at Overton Square in the 70's was first outside of the original restaurant in New York.

Glad to see the square back in action. Looking at this old thread just a short few years ago, it's amazing how fast that area changed. I refer to it as "The 2nd Beale street"
One could argue that Cooper is the locals' Beale, with the expansion both at Young/Central and Madison, plus its proximity to the attractions at Overton Park, and resurging Broad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis