Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Memphis is...
Very safe 1 0.71%
Safe 35 25.00%
Dangerous 44 31.43%
Very dangerous 60 42.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,119 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Memphis my entire life. I am currently in my thirties. I have lived all over the city. Mostly in the "hood". This is what I have seen and experienced first hand.

1. I watched five people get shot at the Fox Layer apartments.
2. My Mother’s car was broken into twice.
3. My brother was a victim of two attempted car jacking’s.
4. I couldn’t tell you how many times I have seen people attacked or their property vandalized or stolen.
5. I lived in multiple areas in Memphis and in total I have been burglarized 5 times.

People on here are right. No city is without crime however, you are more likely to witness or become a victim of crime in Memphis, TN.
emt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 09:18 PM

139 posts, read 311,010 times
I guess I have been blessed. Since 1999, I have been residing in Whitehaven, which according to many on this board is considered the "hood". There is no need for me to debate that, as minds will not be changed. However, I have had nowhere near the crime adventures of what I read here. I had a hose reel with hose and plastic wheelbarrow stolen about 10 years ago. Immediately, replaced both leaving them in the same spot as before and they are still there. A semi-famous shooting, the man shooting the boy for his pants sagging, happened just around the corner from me. That's it in 15 years and I'm pretty sure on who got my hose reel and wheelbarrow. Of course, other stuff happens around here, I just have not witnessed any of it.

I do not dismiss others experiences, as being a crime victim can be traumatizing. I have a neighbor that was in a car accident about seven years ago. There were not any injuries besides temporary soreness, but even after all these years she refuses to drive. I could say to her, "get over it already", but it would not ease her pain. Thankfully, she has a supportive husband. The same goes for crime. Being a crime victim can leave a very bitter taste in one's mouth and there is no such thing as "get over it already".

Old 12-28-2014, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,119 times
Don’t get me wrong, I love Memphis. This is my home, but people should know what they are getting into. No, Memphis is not “the” most dangerous city in America. Yes, Memphis is usually in the top five most dangerous. You can say that all big cities have crime. You can say all cities have crime, but you can’t base your idea of a place based on other people’s experience. My advice would be to look at the data. Keep in mind we are talking about Memphis,not the surrounding areas.

Overall Crime Rate in Memphis is 813.5 / 100,000ppl
Overall Crime Rate in St. Louis is 825.1 / 100,000ppl
Overall Crime Rate in Atlanta is 669.7 / 100,000ppl
Overall Crime Rate in Dallas is 449.6 / 100,000ppl
Overall Crime Rate in Los Angeles is 274.6 / 100,000ppl
Overall Crime Rate in Detroit is 1,009.7 / 100,000ppl
Overall Crime Rate in New York is 256.1 / 100,000ppl
Overall Crime Rate in America is 301.1 / 100,000ppl
So you are 2.7 times more likely to be a victim in Memphis.

Violent Crime Rate in Memphis is 948.3 / 100,000ppl
Violent Crime Rate in St. Louis is 912.7 / 100,000ppl
Violent Crime Rate in Atlanta is 671.9 / 100,000ppl
Violent Crime Rate in Dallas is 373.4 / 100,000ppl
Violent Crime Rate in Los Angeles is 271.6 / 100,000ppl
Violent Crime Rate in Detroit is 1,206.8 / 100,000ppl
Violent Crime Rate in New York is 343.5 / 100,000ppl
Violent Crime Rate in America is 214.0 / 100,000ppl
So you are 4.43 times more likely to be a victim in Memphis.

Property Crime Rate in Memphis is 655.2 / 100,000ppl
Property Crime Rate in St. Louis is 646.8 / 100,000ppl
Property Crime Rate in Atlanta is 600.4 / 100,000ppl
Property Crime Rate in Dallas is 467.1 / 100,000ppl
Property Crime Rate in Los Angeles is 222.3 / 100,000ppl
Property Crime Rate in Detroit is 758.6 / 100,000ppl
Property Crime Rate in New York is 133.2 / 100,000ppl
Property Crime Rate in America is 266.5 / 100,000ppl
So you are 2.45 times more likely to be a victim in Memphis.

In Memphis there is 1 sex offender for every 386ppl.
In Atlanta there is 1 sex offender for every 305ppl.
In Dallas there is 1 sex offender for every 310ppl.
In Los Angeles there is 1 sex offender for every 1,167ppl.
In Detroit there is 1 sex offender for every 4,740ppl.
In New York there is 1 sex offender for every 2,532ppl.

'The Memphis-Shelby County Crime Commission disclosed county wide crime statistics for January through July 2014 in the latest Operation: Safe Community monthly crime trends report.
According to the report,violent crime has increased by 5.7 percent in Memphis and 5.8 percent county wide this year thus far compared to last year.
From January to July 2014,there were 80 murders, 233 forcible rapes, 4,880 aggravated assaults, and 1,987robberies in Shelby County. Over the same period in 2013, there were 73murders, 218 forcible rapes, 4,622 aggravated assaults, and 1,872 robberies.'

Source: The Memphis-Shelby County Crime Commission

Last edited by CLM-001; 12-28-2014 at 09:33 PM..

Old 09-13-2015, 11:34 AM

38 posts, read 56,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Generally, there are 3 things that are present before a crime occurs (there are exceptions).
1- A potential victim (female, a smaller male, fewer victims in a group than attackers)
2- The right opportunity (walking alone, in the dark, etc)
3- Lack of authorities (no one is around that is capable of helping)

If you can eliminate 1 or 2 of these, you are likely to be ok traveling around Memphis.

For someone to say they walk around Memphis all alone and they never have a problem is misleading. We don't know the person's size, demeanor, potential to be perceived as being armed, how wealthy they look, or whether they could blend in around the neighborhood. The safest bet is to stick with well-lit areas where you won't be alone. If you must go into the more dangerous neighborhoods, take some friends with you and do it during the day. If you make yourself an easy target, you are more likely to become a victim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

-----------------------
Granted a lot of the above occurred because of poor choices, walking in dangerous areas, flashing money, risky jobs, but some of it was people unfortunately being in the wrong place, or around the wrong people, at the wrong time.
COMMON SENSE. If you are practicing safety and are aware of your surroundings you lower your chances of being a victim

Old 09-13-2015, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 9,136 times
I grew up in L.A. and recently moved away the cost and traffic are getting worse everyday and crime in L.A. is rising steadily as cost of living there does. In general you have to know what parts of town not to go into after dark, what parts of town to watch yourself at any time of day. Always wise to not leave anything visible in your parked car and some areas even that doesn't help. But I think that can be said for most cities these days you have to watch yourself. Have to check the crime rates in areas before moving.

Memphis has a lot music going on and that's why I'm here in this forum. I'm retired so looking for reasonable rents somewhere I can catch some good music now and then in a relatively safe neighbourhood. Would it be better to live in a place outside the city and drive in for going to a concert or club? I like small clubs with good local talent so that the kind of vibe I'm looking for.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,279 times
Default bad reputation

I realize this thread was created 5 years ago, but when I was considering a move to Memphis a year and a half ago, I read many forums like this one to get a sense of just how dangerous Memphis was, so I figured it was still worth commenting on for people like me who are reading this years later.

Memphis gets a bad rep because it's crime rate, especially violent crimes, is much higher than the national average. When I was researching places to live in Memphis, the first thing that would come up when I typed in Memphis on search engines would be the fact that it is considered the 3rd most dangerous city in the US. Also, comments on forums such as these would point out all the different neighborhoods/communities that you should stay as far away from as possible because they are unsafe (Orangemound, South Memphis, Whitehaven, Frayser, Raleigh, Hickory Hill, etc.). Yes, crime rates are higher in these communities, but so are the poverty rates, which tend to almost always go hand in hand. I remember the first time I accidentally drove through Frayser, I was instantly terrified and thought someone was going to run up to my car and point a gun at me if I had to stop at a stoplight. This is not true, and you can visit these areas of town and live to tell the tale if you have basic common sense. I have lived in Memphis for a year and a half now. I am a single white female and I have never been the victim of a crime. I have lived in Cordova at the same apartment complex the entire time, worked in Bartlett for one year, and I am now an in-home family counselor and have had this position for 3 months. Being an in-home family counselor, I frequent rough areas of town in the communities that have been mentioned as super dangerous and should be avoided. This is my experience so far:

Like many have already pointed out, Memphis has it's safe areas where crime is not commonplace and it's rough areas like any other major city (or small town for that matter). Memphis is the same as anywhere else, you can avoid being a victim of a crime if you have any type of common sense whatsoever. I will say that in Memphis you can go from being in a safe area to being in a crime-ridden area fairly quickly in the same community. Many other cities or towns have specific, well-known areas that one should avoid. Memphis tends to be more sporadic, and if you are not from the area it can be a little unsettling.

One thing that should be noted is racial tension is very high in certain areas of Memphis that I have not experienced in other cities. These racial tensions can be blamed on cycles of generational discrimination and hard-feelings. Many of the poorer, high-crime neighborhoods are predominately Black and many of the areas that are considered safe and have low crime rates are predominately White (parts of Midtown, Germantown, Collierville, etc.). Many of Memphis' high-crime communities were once middle-class neighborhoods that were blooming when industry in the city was flourishing. However, when industry began declining or disappearing all together, many folks in these neighborhoods lost their jobs. These same folks typically had a specific skill set that hindered them from obtaining employment in other lines of work. With unemployment comes poverty and as unemployment rates went up, so did poverty rates. With high poverty rates, comes high crime rates which areas of the city began to face. As crime rates went up, white people moved out (they had more accessible opportunities being the privileged class) which is a phenomenon known as "white flight." My reason for going mentioning this at all is because even if you have been educated and exposed to diversity, regardless of your race, many people in this city remain segregated and will view you differently because of your race even if you hold no racial prejudices yourself. It is worth noting especially before you move here. Of course I am not saying all blacks hate whites and vice versa in this city, but many people do tend to hold these racial prejudices based on generational cycles and little exposure to each other. I have not experienced this divide in other cities and it is worth noting to gain more understanding of the city's culture.

With all of that being said, if you stop at a gas station or store in a community that is higher in crime, you will often be stared at, especially if the neighborhood is tight-knit where everyone knows everyone else. If you look different or you are clearly not known in an area where people have grown up together, you will be stared at by many people which can be intimidating. This does not mean you're about to get robbed and shot, so try not to look uncomfortable. If you act as if you are comfortable with your surroundings you won't stand out as much. Also, speak!!! It is a sign of respect to greet those you might walk past or encounter. Don't start a full-on conversation, but a simple "Hi, how are you doing" and move on is appreciated. Also, keep the flashy stuff at home. If you walk around wearing all expensive everything in an area where people already know you don't belong, you become a target. Most violent crime is among people who know one another or are at least acquainted, but if you get out of your nice car wearing all of your nice things and go into a store, your car is at risk for a random break-in. However, many people will not target you for robbery or other violent crimes if you stand out, because you will more likely than not call the police, whereas people in their community may not be as likely. But still, walking around giving off the air that you have money in an unsafe and impoverished community is not smart. Keep your valuables at home, and if you must carry them in your car keep them well-hidden and out of view. You shouldn't carry large sums of cash, wear expensive jewelry, or carry expensive electronics on your person. Ladies don't carry huge purses. Also, avoid these areas at night. If it is dark, the perpetrator is less likely to be clearly seen and therefore less likely to be caught if police are contacted, so your risk for being a victim goes up. And...my number one rule: PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR SURROUNDINGS. If something looks or feels sketchy, leave. If you must be in these neighborhoods or communities at night try to have someone else with you or at least let someone know where you are. With that being said...I have been in residences or business in Orangemound, Whitehaven, Raleigh, Frayser and Hickory Hill and I have never felt unsafe. Nighttime is of course a different story, and I would not choose to live in any of these communities if I had another opportunity. I just wanted to clarify that your mere presence in these communities does not mean your chance of being murdered goes up or anything crazy like some of these posts have suggested. I have made many friends that grew up in these areas and some that still live there and have never themselves been a victim of crime. Of course they have witnessed much more, especially shootings or drug/gang-related activity and some even have family members who have been caught up in sketchy business. Not everyone living in these communities is a criminal, so don't regard them as such. Be respectful and don't act like you're terrified. It can be degrading to those who live there.

I love living in Memphis. It is a beautiful city with a bad reputation, and a segregation between blacks and whites and rich and poor that cannot be addressed unless we come together as one and work to make our city better. After all, we all call this city home regardless of our race or class.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:50 AM

247 posts, read 336,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc0073 View Post
I realize this thread was created 5 years ago, but when I was considering a move to Memphis a year and a half ago, I read many forums like this one to get a sense of just how dangerous Memphis was, so I figured it was still worth commenting on for people like me who are reading this years later.

Memphis gets a bad rep because it's crime rate, especially violent crimes, is much higher than the national average. When I was researching places to live in Memphis, the first thing that would come up when I typed in Memphis on search engines would be the fact that it is considered the 3rd most dangerous city in the US. Also, comments on forums such as these would point out all the different neighborhoods/communities that you should stay as far away from as possible because they are unsafe (Orangemound, South Memphis, Whitehaven, Frayser, Raleigh, Hickory Hill, etc.). Yes, crime rates are higher in these communities, but so are the poverty rates, which tend to almost always go hand in hand. I remember the first time I accidentally drove through Frayser, I was instantly terrified and thought someone was going to run up to my car and point a gun at me if I had to stop at a stoplight. This is not true, and you can visit these areas of town and live to tell the tale if you have basic common sense. I have lived in Memphis for a year and a half now. I am a single white female and I have never been the victim of a crime. I have lived in Cordova at the same apartment complex the entire time, worked in Bartlett for one year, and I am now an in-home family counselor and have had this position for 3 months. Being an in-home family counselor, I frequent rough areas of town in the communities that have been mentioned as super dangerous and should be avoided. This is my experience so far:

Like many have already pointed out, Memphis has it's safe areas where crime is not commonplace and it's rough areas like any other major city (or small town for that matter). Memphis is the same as anywhere else, you can avoid being a victim of a crime if you have any type of common sense whatsoever. I will say that in Memphis you can go from being in a safe area to being in a crime-ridden area fairly quickly in the same community. Many other cities or towns have specific, well-known areas that one should avoid. Memphis tends to be more sporadic, and if you are not from the area it can be a little unsettling.

One thing that should be noted is racial tension is very high in certain areas of Memphis that I have not experienced in other cities. These racial tensions can be blamed on cycles of generational discrimination and hard-feelings. Many of the poorer, high-crime neighborhoods are predominately Black and many of the areas that are considered safe and have low crime rates are predominately White (parts of Midtown, Germantown, Collierville, etc.). Many of Memphis' high-crime communities were once middle-class neighborhoods that were blooming when industry in the city was flourishing. However, when industry began declining or disappearing all together, many folks in these neighborhoods lost their jobs. These same folks typically had a specific skill set that hindered them from obtaining employment in other lines of work. With unemployment comes poverty and as unemployment rates went up, so did poverty rates. With high poverty rates, comes high crime rates which areas of the city began to face. As crime rates went up, white people moved out (they had more accessible opportunities being the privileged class) which is a phenomenon known as "white flight." My reason for going mentioning this at all is because even if you have been educated and exposed to diversity, regardless of your race, many people in this city remain segregated and will view you differently because of your race even if you hold no racial prejudices yourself. It is worth noting especially before you move here. Of course I am not saying all blacks hate whites and vice versa in this city, but many people do tend to hold these racial prejudices based on generational cycles and little exposure to each other. I have not experienced this divide in other cities and it is worth noting to gain more understanding of the city's culture.

With all of that being said, if you stop at a gas station or store in a community that is higher in crime, you will often be stared at, especially if the neighborhood is tight-knit where everyone knows everyone else. If you look different or you are clearly not known in an area where people have grown up together, you will be stared at by many people which can be intimidating. This does not mean you're about to get robbed and shot, so try not to look uncomfortable. If you act as if you are comfortable with your surroundings you won't stand out as much. Also, speak!!! It is a sign of respect to greet those you might walk past or encounter. Don't start a full-on conversation, but a simple "Hi, how are you doing" and move on is appreciated. Also, keep the flashy stuff at home. If you walk around wearing all expensive everything in an area where people already know you don't belong, you become a target. Most violent crime is among people who know one another or are at least acquainted, but if you get out of your nice car wearing all of your nice things and go into a store, your car is at risk for a random break-in. However, many people will not target you for robbery or other violent crimes if you stand out, because you will more likely than not call the police, whereas people in their community may not be as likely. But still, walking around giving off the air that you have money in an unsafe and impoverished community is not smart. Keep your valuables at home, and if you must carry them in your car keep them well-hidden and out of view. You shouldn't carry large sums of cash, wear expensive jewelry, or carry expensive electronics on your person. Ladies don't carry huge purses. Also, avoid these areas at night. If it is dark, the perpetrator is less likely to be clearly seen and therefore less likely to be caught if police are contacted, so your risk for being a victim goes up. And...my number one rule: PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR SURROUNDINGS. If something looks or feels sketchy, leave. If you must be in these neighborhoods or communities at night try to have someone else with you or at least let someone know where you are. With that being said...I have been in residences or business in Orangemound, Whitehaven, Raleigh, Frayser and Hickory Hill and I have never felt unsafe. Nighttime is of course a different story, and I would not choose to live in any of these communities if I had another opportunity. I just wanted to clarify that your mere presence in these communities does not mean your chance of being murdered goes up or anything crazy like some of these posts have suggested. I have made many friends that grew up in these areas and some that still live there and have never themselves been a victim of crime. Of course they have witnessed much more, especially shootings or drug/gang-related activity and some even have family members who have been caught up in sketchy business. Not everyone living in these communities is a criminal, so don't regard them as such. Be respectful and don't act like you're terrified. It can be degrading to those who live there.

I love living in Memphis. It is a beautiful city with a bad reputation, and a segregation between blacks and whites and rich and poor that cannot be addressed unless we come together as one and work to make our city better. After all, we all call this city home regardless of our race or class.
You're right-street smarts are a must in Memphis if you must visit the rougher neighborhoods.

Regarding your comments on race relations, I think you'd get that reaction upon visiting any such area in any city. They are just more common to stumble upon in Memphis.

So while that gives the impression of the two races being more segregated than most other cities, the greater presence of blacks leads to a more even black/white mix of people at work, school, etc. I know myself and many others had many black friends growing up, I was often a minority at many places I worked, and I made many friends and acquaintances through such experiences.

Like you said, everyone in those areas aren't criminals, and many of them are just as sick of them as the rest of us are, especially given how their neighborhoods are the ones most affected by it .

Old 11-22-2016, 02:04 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
This is true. I got stared at a lot when I worked in Frayser for a couple years. But -- the people that live there have a valid reason for being wary around white/middle class folks.

Thanks for your post. It's what we've been telling people who ask this question on this forum for years -- Memphis is a real city, with real urban problems, and you have to be street smart when navigating around. That is, unless you hole up in Collierville and think driving to downtown via I-240 is 'going through the hood.'

Old 11-23-2016, 03:43 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
One thing I wanted to add. Unless your job brings you to rough neighborhoods, you are unlikely to encounter them much. Everywhere I want to go is vaguely on the Poplar corridor, which with very few exceptions (Med Center area mosty) is a nice, safe place to be. From Downtown, all the way out. Frayser may as well be on the Moon as far as I'm concerned. I never have any reason to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis