Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:33 PM

448 posts, read 870,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
The collaboration between city and county has been just remarkable, and seems to have expanded.
Read your excellent post summarizing the good in Memphis over the past few years. The end of the Herenton regime was huge and is better for the collaboration you mention above. Not having a haughty and arrogant megalomaniac was great for the city. And him not being elected to Congress was even better. The leadership has improved dramatically

Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,339,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Read your excellent post summarizing the good in Memphis over the past few years. The end of the Herenton regime was huge and is better for the collaboration you mention above. Not having a haughty and arrogant megalomaniac was great for the city. And him not being elected to Congress was even better. The leadership has improved dramatically
It seems to have been a breath of fresh air. Who would've thought, black and white, city and county, Democrat and Republican could unite for anything, with the way perceptions used to be. And much less anything, but for several things, they have an open line of communication and an apparent mutual respect. Back in the day, someone would've found a reason to keep the city and county greenbelts from coming together (much like the decentralization of the library). But these improvements must be only the beginning. Divisive forces still exist, as evidenced by Tunica's approach to attracting the hq of the American Queen -- essentially demanding that the company agree not to stop in Memphis. WTF? Hopefully that is more the exception than the rule for this region I love to improve and prosper.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 AM

13 posts, read 14,241 times
One key difference in perceptions about realities :

The major difference for me and my family is that we probably could not care less about someone "trashing" our own home towns ! I mean, there are lots of real negatives about my "Home Town", and we have the sense not to "internalize" other peoples' negative opinions based on their own experience. That seems a bit illogical. Who cares if someone "trashes" (not my description) a city that you happen to live in, or will leave ??

That's the difference. Some view valid negative comments as "trashing", which connotes some sort of nefarious motive. Again, that seems to be quite a parochial reaction - or in this case a clear "over-reaction".

Again, why take a transplants opinions (whether negative or positive) as a personal affront ?? To us, that seems immature to say the minimum.

A resident's responsibility is not necessarily to become a "lifetime advocate", or a local/vocal "booster". Again, that seems a little wrong-headed.

That sort of implied expectation (from outsiders/transplants) smacks of a very stupid adage of "if you can't say anything nice, then say nothing at all" . No one does that anymore- it's 2012, and people are mobile, experienced, well-traveled, a bit educated, and they certainly don't buy in to a Memphis, or an "Old South" Plantation mentality any more.

Do you think that long-time residents of "Old Atlanta" become irritated at transplants and newcomers perhaps stating "negative opinions" about Atlanta ?? For the most part, most longtime residents are not that sensitive or narrow. Most don't get flustered and defensive about negative comments about life in Atlanta. Atlanta is too busy actually going forward and not lamenting or opining about the past or good ole days. Ditto Charlotte, ditto Dallas and a tons of other fine southern or southwest cities.

Hypersensitivity is not the mark of any dynamic city - neither is attempting to "explain away" that same hypersensitivity.

Do you really think longtime residents of Houston, give a hoot about repeated negative observations emanating from transplants or even visitors ??? How about New Yorkers ?? folks in Miami ? San Diego ? Portland ? I don't think these other residents give a hoot enough to become viscerally "upset", and combative, and certainly not "offended". These other people are not "wired" that way, and most people who have lived in many other cities outside of the Memphis region, will assert the same thing.

Some newcomers and transplants will simply "call a spade, a spade" - wherever they choose to live, not just a Memphis Tennessee. That certainly has been the case for me, and all of the professionals that I know (who have lived in several other environments). Most of us are not willing to "roll over and play dead", "pretend", capitulate, or lose our minds and common sense simply because we choose to live in various other cities during our lives, in our professional careers. Being born in one city, and living your entire life in that city is almost something of the past . Perhaps that is a bit foreign to the local color, by comparison. People do move to Memphis, and people (transplants, recent college graduates, and long time residents) will move out as well. Believe me, Memphis is not a precise microcosm of the rest of the nation - not by a long shot. The differences are vast and deep if you choose to open your eyes and ears,

Old 06-07-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieMD View Post
Most of us are not willing to "roll over and play dead", "pretend", capitulate, or lose our minds and common sense simply because we choose to live in various other cities during our lives, in our professional careers.
At no time did I advocate "rolling over and playing dead" or to "pretend" that problems do not exist. Listen, I moved away from Memphis myself so I am well aware of the problems. However, as I stated above, there is a difference between constructive criticism and name calling/condescension. That is what I meant by "trashing".

There is middle ground between not saying anything and telling someone that they and their city are essentially worthless. But then again, I am a "glass half full" type. After my Omaha experience a couple of decades ago, I have had the opportunity to travel all over the planet. I did not fall in love with every place, but I try to enjoy every place (if that is clear). I had an opportunity to go to Oklahoma City a few years ago. It is not at the top of my list of favorite places, but I enjoyed my stay there. That is the attitude I take into every city - whether it is to reside or visit...

Many transplants come to Memphis and see problems. Some of them complain. Others are proactive and join civic and neighborhood organizations to help spur the change they seek.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:27 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Quote:
I really don't think the locus of Memphis' difficulties is found in methods of 'transportation' or in land mass/sprawl . The obstacles for Memphis' competitiveness seem to rest in far more fundamental underpinnings - as in 'culture', 'attitudes', educational level, and functional politics for the common good.

One poster really echoes my opinion as a transplant. There is, no doubt, a 'love it or leave it' mentality and attitude. This limited view serves to keep Memphis right where it is : BEHIND. In fact, newcomers and especially professional newcomers are truly expected to leave their standards, expectations, lifestyles, and even 'politics' in the cites from where they moved. My wife and I have never experienced such parochialism in our lives- and we, too, are Southerners, but have experienced 'life' elsewhere. It seems that there is an automatic resentment of people that choose to accept positions in Memphis- then, there seems to be the required acceptance of the edict of 'love Memphis or leave it'.

Observation: Someone stated that Memphis TN is 'charming'.

My wife and I both read that comment and laughed out loud. 'Charming' would be the last adjective that comes to our minds it seems. Charleston, SC seems 'charming' to us. Martha's Vineyard also seems 'charming'. A case could be made for cities like Ashville NC perhaps, or several towns in NOVA, or St. Augustine, FL, or Hyannisport. If Memphis were so 'charming', the growth and planning would be self evident it seems to me. Additionally, its residents would be 'charmed' in to not fleeing the city and the region in the thousands.

When my wife and I think of 'charming', Memphis is not a city that comes immediately to mind. This is not an appropriate assessment of this sort of city, sorry to say.

It further seems telling that my comments hit a raw nerve, which is revealing in an important way. The retorts seem torturously and needlessly defensive. Therein lies the crux of many other problems that apparently are deep-seated.

Memphis is certainly a 'sick' patient, but it's not on its deathbed. I fear that perhaps the recovery time is far too lengthy for many people who may be considering a move to Memphis.

Some 'patients' are not aware of their 'sickness', until after a complete examination. Other 'patients' may be in denial, or simply refuse to follow directions, and faithfully take their 'medications'. Still, others become combative, and won't even believe a second 'opinion' or a third 'opinion'. Invariably, the 'patient' becomes much worse - and in some case, the 'patient' dies - either quickly, or in a slow march to his demise. In many cases, the 'patient' takes no corrective action, no 'lifestyle change', then attempts to fool others that he is in good 'health' .
I think that Memphis is very charming. I love to visit.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 AM

154 posts, read 155,922 times
Quote:
One key difference in perceptions about realities :

The major difference for me and my family is that we probably could not care less about someone "trashing" our own home towns ! I mean, there are lots of real negatives about my "Home Town", and we have the sense not to "internalize" other peoples' negative opinions based on their own experience. That seems a bit illogical. Who cares if someone "trashes" (not my description) a city that you happen to live in, or will leave ??

That's the difference. Some view valid negative comments as "trashing", which connotes some sort of nefarious motive. Again, that seems to be quite a parochial reaction - or in this case a clear "over-reaction".

Again, why take a transplants opinions (whether negative or positive) as a personal affront ?? To us, that seems immature to say the minimum.

A resident's responsibility is not necessarily to become a "lifetime advocate", or a local/vocal "booster". Again, that seems a little wrong-headed.

That sort of implied expectation (from outsiders/transplants) smacks of a very stupid adage of "if you can't say anything nice, then say nothing at all" . No one does that anymore- it's 2012, and people are mobile, experienced, well-traveled, a bit educated, and they certainly don't buy in to a Memphis, or an "Old South" Plantation mentality any more.

Do you think that long-time residents of "Old Atlanta" become irritated at transplants and newcomers perhaps stating "negative opinions" about Atlanta ?? For the most part, most longtime residents are not that sensitive or narrow. Most don't get flustered and defensive about negative comments about life in Atlanta. Atlanta is too busy actually going forward and not lamenting or opining about the past or good ole days. Ditto Charlotte, ditto Dallas and a tons of other fine southern or southwest cities.

Hypersensitivity is not the mark of any dynamic city - neither is attempting to "explain away" that same hypersensitivity.

Do you really think longtime residents of Houston, give a hoot about repeated negative observations emanating from transplants or even visitors ??? How about New Yorkers ?? folks in Miami ? San Diego ? Portland ? I don't think these other residents give a hoot enough to become viscerally "upset", and combative, and certainly not "offended". These other people are not "wired" that way, and most people who have lived in many other cities outside of the Memphis region, will assert the same thing.

Some newcomers and transplants will simply "call a spade, a spade" - wherever they choose to live, not just a Memphis Tennessee. That certainly has been the case for me, and all of the professionals that I know (who have lived in several other environments). Most of us are not willing to "roll over and play dead", "pretend", capitulate, or lose our minds and common sense simply because we choose to live in various other cities during our lives, in our professional careers. Being born in one city, and living your entire life in that city is almost something of the past . Perhaps that is a bit foreign to the local color, by comparison. People do move to Memphis, and people (transplants, recent college graduates, and long time residents) will move out as well. Believe me, Memphis is not a precise microcosm of the rest of the nation - not by a long shot. The differences are vast and deep if you choose to open your eyes and ears,
You're fairly new here. You will learn. You cannot be too honest about Memphis. Plus, some posters have their own interests in mind. You want to give potential transplants a balanced views. IMHO, the negatives in Memphis proper outweigh the positives. Of course, that's just my opinion. Now, if you're fortunate enough to live in the surrounding municipalities, your experience will be quite different. Memphis hosts do-nothing politicians, a poor school system, blight and poverty, and excessive violent crime. All these make for a less than progressive city. This town's motto should read "If you don't agree with us, you're a hater!" But if you can land a job here paying 60k+, you can afford a pretty comfortable living in Memphis.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-H View Post
This town's motto should read "If you don't agree with us, you're a hater!"
Well, the former mayor's campaign slogan was "shake the haters off"

But seriously, have you all read what any of the "pro-Memphis" posters (including myself) have written? I haven't seen anyone say that nothing is wrong with Memphis, and certainly all of what you say about the crime, the schools, and so on is certainly valid. My point is that some of that criticism can be taken the wrong way when flavored with mocking and/or haughtiness. And then there are those that act as if the city has zero redeemable qualities. What human being actually likes to have someone look down their nose at them?? Of course they are going to push back

On another note, I have always theorized that what Memphis needs to bring it out of its low self esteem is a sports championship. It can be either NBA or NCAA. Sports are great at bringing a city together, and a championship brings euphoria. If the Grizzles were to win an NBA title, the esteem demon would finally be exorcised from that city.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:08 AM

410 posts, read 803,261 times
I get such a kick out of the people who come here, the Commercial Appeal (probably one and the same), and other sites bad mouthing Memphis and everything about it including sports. They always throw out that "Freedom of speech" trump card as if it's needed to express that hatred and negativity needs an explanation. Well no explanations needed. Everyone understands their agendas. Memphis is not a perfect world. I challenge you to find one. Sure there are plenty of negatives. They're all brought out time and again by the same people. So why dwell on the negatives? Yep you have the right to say whatever you want. And positive people can say what they want and we all retire in the perfect palace in the sky (or down below for some).

Memphis is what you make of it plain and simple. I prefer to look for the good and enjoy what's available in my "home town"! ;-)

Old 06-08-2012, 01:07 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,339,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Well, the former mayor's campaign slogan was "shake the haters off"

But seriously, have you all read what any of the "pro-Memphis" posters (including myself) have written? I haven't seen anyone say that nothing is wrong with Memphis, and certainly all of what you say about the crime, the schools, and so on is certainly valid. My point is that some of that criticism can be taken the wrong way when flavored with mocking and/or haughtiness. And then there are those that act as if the city has zero redeemable qualities. What human being actually likes to have someone look down their nose at them?? Of course they are going to push back

On another note, I have always theorized that what Memphis needs to bring it out of its low self esteem is a sports championship. It can be either NBA or NCAA. Sports are great at bringing a city together, and a championship brings euphoria. If the Grizzles were to win an NBA title, the esteem demon would finally be exorcised from that city.
I don't know. The self-loathing is in many ways institutionalized; so ingrained I fear that it is intransigent. There are people who root against change and complain about the status quo at the same time. There are people who appear to seek or attain social status by being a self-anointed critic.

It would go a long way, and I hope you're right and that it would be decisive. I just think it would be an influential first step of a necessary series of steps. It's like there's a ceiling that Memphians put on themselves, and then tell each other don't bust out. There is just so much potential to tap.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 PM

154 posts, read 155,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I don't know. The self-loathing is in many ways institutionalized; so ingrained I fear that it is intransigent. There are people who root against change and complain about the status quo at the same time. There are people who appear to seek or attain social status by being a self-anointed critic.

It would go a long way, and I hope you're right and that it would be decisive. I just think it would be an influential first step of a necessary series of steps. It's like there's a ceiling that Memphians put on themselves, and then tell each other don't bust out. There is just so much potential to tap.
This comment is way off base. Nothing but name calling and smearing those who disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis