Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,056,866 times

Advertisements

Flaming Lips kicking off June 27th in Handy Park on Beale.

The Flaming Lips To Play 8 Shows In 24 Hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 PM

Awesome show. I got one pic which I'll post later. Star and Micey played afterward and Copper Possum played at Alfred's. All three were great.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:49 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,341,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
Awesome show. I got one pic which I'll post later. Star and Micey played afterward and Copper Possum played at Alfred's. All three were great.
Cool!

Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 AM

268 posts, read 744,966 times
ARGH, I can't believe I missed that. Not a 'fan' but I know a good act in town when
I hear about it...

Old 06-28-2012, 07:41 PM

Yesterday was great. So much fun. That's all I know to say. Ages from 20 mos to 70 yrs old were in the heat watching these guys.

Here is the article from CA...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...in-handy-park/

Pictures that were better than mine, and the Mayor is on pic 8 I believe. Pretty cool:
"As a bevy of dancing girls and animal costume-wearing fans filled the stage along with the band. Coyne, manning a smoke-emitting bullhorn, talked, sang and surfed his way above the crowd inside an inflatable ball as the band played for nearly an hour, with a pair of Guinness World Records officials watching.
At end of the set, City of Memphis Mayor AC Wharton came on stage to officially greet the group and hype them for their record attempt. “In about 24 hours I’m going to have the distinct honor of welcoming the First Lady,” said Wharton, who will host Michelle Obama during a visit to the Bluff City on Thursday.
“But lemme tell you, nothing compares to welcoming the First Band!”
Following the show, the band’s bus headed east on Union and Coyne stopped at Sun Studios to present the first O Award to Boston pop group Karmin, as “Best Web Born Artist.”

Old 06-28-2012, 07:49 PM

And they broke the record.

Flaming Lips Set Record in New Orleans :: OffBeat :: New Orleans and Louisiana Music, Food, and Art News

The Flaming Lips entered the Guinness Book of World Records Thursday night by playing at the House of Blues, the last show in a wild 24-hour spree that ended up breaking Jay-Z’s record for most shows played within a single day.
The Lips played eight shows in cities from Memphis to Baton Rouge and finally New Orleans in setting the new mark. Along the way they treated fans to some rare album tracks and included special guests Grace Potter, Neon Indian and Jackson Browne and Grimes, with locals like Big Freedia, the Givers and Hunter Hayes offering support. The band played a series of inspired covers in the eight shows, including David Bowie’s “Heroes” and a Led Zeppelin mini-set with Grace Potter.

It would have been great to see them with Grace Potter in Oxford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis