Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:49 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,765 times

Advertisements

We're getting transferred to a new company, just south of the airport. Really don't want a long commute (been there), so considering Olive Branch or western Collierville. We've got 2 kids, 7 and 11, so quality of public schools are very important. Would love a community with a lot to offer families.

Any recommendations on where specifically to look?
Any comparisons between OB and Collierville?

Moving from Washington DC, so it seems like both areas have much cheaper housing and taxes than we do, so cost not going to be an issue.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 09:54 AM

376 posts, read 1,779,498 times
If cost isn't an issue, then Collierville is a better choice. The schools are better there (not that Olive Branch schools are bad, Collierville is just better), the community is nicer, the shopping is better, traffic isn't as bad, and it has less of a redneck element (not that Olive Branch is redneck, but it does have a larger redneck population than Collierville). Also, Collierville has a much better handle on growth and stricter requirements on developers than Olive Branch, where developers pretty much run the town. You can get more house for your money in Olive Branch, though. And you have to examine the tax structure differences between Tennessee and Mississippi. Tennessee does not have income tax but has higher property taxes. Mississippi has lower property taxes but a 5% income tax and property tax on vehicles. Tennessee also has lottery scholarships.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:07 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
The best and most quaint mall in the area is in Colierville...the Avenue at Carriage crossing. There are also great restaurants out there in Collierville. Schools are very good from what I have heard. Although it may change over time, in my impression from living in Memphis - Collierville seems like it's own old community, whereas Olive Branch is just another one of those MS suburbs that are over-run with new developments and strip malls. I personally would choose Collierville hands down, if I was in the same spot as you.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:29 PM

79 posts, read 281,685 times
Olive Branch is the nicest of the Desoto County cities (Southaven to the west will be in a rapid decline in about 2 years or so IMO), but the education and income levels are still lower than Colleirville, Germantown, East Memphis, etc.. In addition, Olive Branch is in Mississippi and Collierville is in Tennessee, so unless you have ties to the Magnolia State, Tennessee is clearly superior. If cost is no issue, then Collierville is the obvious choice.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:40 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
Tennessee also has lottery scholarships.
That is a HUGE cost advantage to living in Tennessee, particularly if you're going to have more than one child in college at the same time. I have students who, because of the lottery scholarship and various academic scholarships, are actually making money while in college.

But back to the original question, I agree that Collierville is the better choice. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with Olive Branch. Shelby County (not Memphis) has excellent schools, and Collierville is at the top. And even though Collierville is somewhat of a bedroom community, it is also its own town; there's a downtown Collierville and some local corporations, most notably FedEx which has a huge facility in town. Olive Branch has no downtown, no corporate headquarters, no "soul" compared to Collierville. Again, I'm not trying to put down Olive Branch, it's got some really nice subdivisions and nice shopping centers and is nicer than most other Memphis suburbs. But compared to Collierville, I think the choice is fairly clear.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:39 AM

Wait, what's the deal about college in Tennessee?
What's a lottery scholarship?
Thanks!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:31 AM

43 posts, read 88,087 times
Default Collierville or Olive Branch?

First of all, coming from the northeast, (as I also did, and you coming from the DC area) and going to either one of those school sysytem is going to be a shock....So be prepared......I can't say for Olive Branch, but I do know that both Houston and Collierville High school were given raves to us by the realtors, but NOT from the people who live here.....The average ACT grades just came out for the schools in Memphis and Shelby County...the highest was Houston which was 23.6, and the next was Collierville at 23.3....most schools were 18 and below......Most students go to Univ. of TN, Univ., of Mem., Ole Miss.,and schools in Ark. I've done recruiting for my Alma Mat., and as told by guidance and teachers around the area that the smarter kids go to Auburn, and some kids will go to Ala., but the majority stay in the state.

All 3 of our kids went to different high schools....the 2 oldest went to high schools in NJ......Our youngest is in school here,but because of the overbuilding and bussing involved, which adds to the overcrowding..He attends a private school. We live in Collierville, and I think it depends where you live, but in all of the places I've lived, this feels like Urban Sprawl.....there are nice people everywhere, and also indifferent....Collierville ad Germantown have more people that have lived elsewhere, so you may feel more comfortable in those two places...Olive Branch is at the beginning of its sprawl, so resale would be better in Germantown, then Collierville. Whatever you decide, make sure it's the area where you and your kids feel the most comfortable......I wish you lots of luck!

Old 08-26-2007, 12:40 PM

momegone...Thanks for a mom's insight, this is a huge help!
What is the shock I should be prepared for?
The scores are similar to the schools around here. What are people unhappy about with the schools?
(I'm coming from Loudoun County, which has been the nations fastest growing county, and in the top 3 in the past few years, so urban sprawl is what I know ;-)

Old 08-26-2007, 03:47 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considering-amovetomephis View Post
momegone...Thanks for a mom's insight, this is a huge help!
What is the shock I should be prepared for?
The scores are similar to the schools around here. What are people unhappy about with the schools?
(I'm coming from Loudoun County, which has been the nations fastest growing county, and in the top 3 in the past few years, so urban sprawl is what I know ;-)
I haven't heard of people unhappy with the schools mentioned. I went to a private school while my siblings went to Houston. I think my school was better, but my siblings and my friends at Houston weren't being shortchanged. In fact, I think Houston and Collierville are superior to a lot of the private schools around here (since families frequently send their kids to private school as a status symbol). Germantown doesn't quite get as much credit because they bus a lot of kids in that don't live near the school, but it has an excellent Honors and AP system that is probably superior to any other public school. Germantown offers more Honors and AP classes than any high school in the country. Many of these classes are teleconferenced to other county schools.
Their graduates regularly go to top universities. I would definitely make your children enroll in Honors and AP classes.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:21 PM

79 posts, read 281,685 times
First of all, coming from the northeast, (as I also did, and you coming from the DC area) and going to either one of those school sysytem is going to be a shock....So be prepared......I can't say for Olive Branch, but I do know that both Houston and Collierville High school were given raves to us by the realtors, but NOT from the people who live here.....The average ACT grades just came out for the schools in Memphis and Shelby County...the highest was Houston which was 23.6, and the next was Collierville at 23.3....most schools were 18 and below......Most students go to Univ. of TN, Univ., of Mem., Ole Miss.,and schools in Ark. I've done recruiting for my Alma Mat., and as told by guidance and teachers around the area that the smarter kids go to Auburn, and some kids will go to Ala., but the majority stay in the state.>>

I haven't heard of an abundance of the "top" kids going to Alabama or Auburn, if those kids are into status, I would say they choose Tulane, Vandy, or even Emory.

Plus UT is a better school than Auburn, except for a few specific degrees such as veterinary. I may be biased, but I don't see how Bama is any "better" than UT either, especially since Alabama is smaller population wise than TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis