Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 AM

14 posts, read 90,258 times

Advertisements

Hello Memphians,

Im new to the forum born in Memphis raised in Holly Springs,MS (hence the 662). I've been gone for about 10 years I'm finishing law school this May (God willing) and I have a job lined up with a memphis firm.

I'll be looking to purchase a house around the 200-225k price range. My priorities are as follows:

1. My family's safety.
2. Good public schools.
3. Most house for my money.
4. Coummute.

I'll be working in downtown Memphis. I have a 11 year old daughter and my wife and I are expecting another girl in January.
I think I've narrowed my house hunt down to Collierville, Southaven and Olivebranch. I would love to hear yall weigh in on which of the three locations you think might be best for my family and I and why.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:45 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
Southaven would be closest to your job and probably the cheapest. You don't mention what size of home (3 bedroom? 4?) You can get a new "cookie cutter" small 3 bedroom suburban home there for well less than what your price is, so you can probably get something nice for $225k.

Collierville would be a long drive and very expensive. You'd definitely get the smallest house for that price there. They probably have the best schools there. Safety is probably best here too.

I don't know about Olive Branch. I assume it would be similar to Southaven.

You might want to break it down to the Top # 1 priority for you. Also consider if you live in MS but work in TN, what that might mean for taxes (I don't know). Would you pay income tax because you live in MS?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:53 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
As one who worked in Memphis but lives in Southaven, yes you will pay MS taxes. If Memphis ever passes a payroll tax, you will pay that as well.

For details on OB and Southaven, stop by the MS section of the forum or I can try to answer any other questions you have right here.

1. Safety - Stats are easy to find. I feel safer here than when I visit Memphis.
2. Desoto county schools are best in the state. But as I've stated before, it's mostly about the kids and the parents. I went to the 3rd worst school in Arkansas and still managed to graduate college and get an MBA.
3. Real estate magazines and sites. There are a few here in Belle Pointe that fit into your budget. There are dozens of families with kids here.
4. My wife has driven to downtown Memphis for the last 8 years. It's not bad. 22 miles one way.

-Robert

Old 11-18-2008, 06:40 PM

61 posts, read 242,980 times
I live in Collierville. I don't have first hand knowledge of the MS towns but know lots of people there. Here are my thoughts.

1. My family's safety. Collierville - very on the ball police force (note: don't even speed here). The crime report in the paper is always petty stuff. Memphis crime has spread South to MS but Collierville is very safe.
2. Good public schools. Collierville - Shelby County schools are highly rated.
3. Most house for my money. MS wins here. You can find good deals in Collierville but MS in general will get you more.
4. Coummute. MS again. Its a quick trip up I-55 to downtown though accidents are common. Commute from Collierville isn't necessarily bad but will be in excess of 30 minutes during rush hour.

Collierville is an outstanding family location. Not the cheapest though. I'd suggest taking a look and see if you can afford the house you want and have MS as a backup. No income tax in TN of course but be sure to put property taxes into the mix.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 PM

39 posts, read 140,882 times
Your price range may be a little low for Collierville. But it is the best of the three you mentioned. Southaven has been going down.

Collierville has very good public schools, and police dept. You can always drive to work, but schools and safety should be the main concerns.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:56 AM

88 posts, read 294,669 times
I don't know, I live in OB and am thrilled with it. The neighborhood is quiet and I really don't worry about crime. The people are great. I bought a 5 bedroom 3,000 sq ft house for 180K and that was before the housing prices started to fall.

On the other hand my house still appraises for higher than that.

I work downtown, a block off Beale street and the commute isn't bad. I take Church road rather than Goodman.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 AM

27 posts, read 86,248 times
Remember, no state income tax in TN. I think MS has one.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:22 PM

14 posts, read 90,258 times
Thanks guys for all your input. The fact that I'd have to pay approximately 5% of my taxable income if I live in mississippi is making me look a little harder at TN. Are Bartlett and Cordova still safe neighborhoods?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:46 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
Bartlett: yes, just stay to the east. Cordova is safe, but it is not a suburb. It is almost all Memphis city. You might as well live in east Memphis or midtown - same taxes, same school system, etc.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:12 AM

7 posts, read 28,179 times
Hank,

You should also consider the older established west side of Germantown. If you're up for moving into a not brand new house I think you could possibly really like it. Basically anything north of Poplar between the Kirby area and Germantown Parkway is really seeing a boom in younger families. The neighborhoods are very established, lots of trees, parks and everything is close by. Takes about 20-25 minutes to get downtown. Good schools and the home prices are right in your range (Most are listed a little higher but with the economy you can probably snag a 2,500 to 3,000 sf home for anywhere from 215K to 275K. I also think that your wife would really like the proximity to lots of other things to do in the city and lots of other mother's who hang out together in the area.

Also a big perk for this area is that the home prices are really looking up in the future as more and more young families move into the area and fix up older homes. Big upside potential because of the excellent location and established feel. Think of East Memphis between Walnut Grove and Poplar before it became expensive. But having more parks and family things close by.

Collierville would be similar, but it's much further out, especially in the older areas of collierville where prices are lower. However you still could get a newer house in collierville for your price range.

I would not recommend Olive Branch because of the commute and the lack of a real central infastructure. It's basically just strip malls around goodman road. But it is a nice community nonetheless. If you go to Southaven stay south of Goodman Road, well same for OB really. Southaven is closer to downtown though. You'd think OB would be closer but because of all the traffic you have to get through it's really not.

Oh well, you'll be happy wherever you decide. And welcome to Memphis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBANKHANK662 View Post
Thanks guys for all your input. The fact that I'd have to pay approximately 5% of my taxable income if I live in mississippi is making me look a little harder at TN. Are Bartlett and Cordova still safe neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis