Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 PM

4 posts, read 12,317 times

Advertisements

I wish I found this site before we settled on a house. We had decided on the Lake Windermere area because it seemed quiet and nice. Also the crime stats, report we did showed little crimes. I came across the map and found the area we have chosen is in the orange. As we have children (who I plan to home school), I am really concern if we made a very poor choice for our family.

Can anyone tell me more about this area? We are moving between Fulmer Park and Lake Windermere.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,623 times
To be honest, you are in an area that does not have a very good reputation (Raleigh/Frayser). However, many people live in this area and have very little trouble with crime. The area of Raleigh that you are in is considered one of the best neighborhoods in that part of town. Since you will be home schooling, you will not have to worry about the poor schools in the area. You may have a problem with resale in that area, but hopefully you all got a good deal on the house. In my opinion you all should be fine. Be sure to be careful and get a house alarm. If I were you, I would also try to do most of my shopping in in Bartlett or Cordova. Be sure to meet your neighbors and try to look out for each other.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I agree with Tigertate. It's not as bad as to the west (Frayser proper). I have a friend that lives in the Spring Hill area (Yale @ Coleman) and they do fine. However, their house has been on the market for 3 years so, again like Tigertate said, you may have resale issues.

I have used the Walmart over on Austin Peay. Not sure I would do a lot of late night shopping, but it was fine at 3 pm.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 AM

4 posts, read 12,317 times
Thankfully we didn't buy the house. We had decided to rent because we weren't sure if we wanted to stay after a few years and of course, the housing market didn't make it attractive enough to buy any home anywhere.

I am going to check with the rental agency to see if we can add an alarm to the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis