Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 PM

191 posts, read 775,153 times

Advertisements

Thank you Eastmemphisguy for the suggestion and Wmsn4life...Thank you, I will take all suggestions into consideration. With teenagers you never know what will appeal to them at the moment. That is why everyones' tips and suggestions will be very helpful with our short stay in Memphis.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! We can't wait to visit your beautiful city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,737,625 times
I agree with staying downtown - does the Peabody not have the ducks anymore?

I'd do Beale St, the Peabody, maybe the riverfront. Add a studio tour and you have a good 24 hours.

I like Central BBQ in Midtown; its a short drive from downtown (5-10 min). I think Rendezvous is overrated, but it is downtown.

Also downtown is Gus's fried chicken - might be worth the visit.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:58 PM

159 posts, read 158,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I agree with staying downtown - does the Peabody not have the ducks anymore?

I'd do Beale St, the Peabody, maybe the riverfront. Add a studio tour and you have a good 24 hours.

I like Central BBQ in Midtown; its a short drive from downtown (5-10 min). I think Rendezvous is overrated, but it is downtown.

Also downtown is Gus's fried chicken - might be worth the visit.

Central BBQ has a location downtown as well; it's on Butler Ave., which is a few blocks east of Main St. and pretty close to the Lorraine. I would recommend it too, provided you're in the mood for barbecue. If the weather is nice, you might enjoy sitting in their open-air dining section.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 PM

Sayantsi, thank you for the great suggestions on what to do for our day in Memphis. I haven't heard about the attractions on the riverfront, yet. Is it safe during the day and evening?

The Peabody, sounds fun with their little ducks....

Memphisjayhawk, BBQ is high on the list of must do's while we are in Memphis. Thank you for the suggestion and the downtown location of the Central BBQ.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:23 AM

469 posts, read 973,232 times
The Riverfront can be toured by boarding the Riverfront Loop Trolley on Main St. for a 30 minute $1 ride, though safety is not an issue if you walk portions of it. Some very interesting events happened along the riverfront and throughout Downtown in history, but you would need to book a tour to get most of that. Mud Island River Park is a good venue for enjoying the river.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPBOY View Post
The Riverfront can be toured by boarding the Riverfront Loop Trolley on Main St. for a 30 minute $1 ride, though safety is not an issue if you walk portions of it. Some very interesting events happened along the riverfront and throughout Downtown in history, but you would need to book a tour to get most of that. Mud Island River Park is a good venue for enjoying the river.
Repboy, thank you for the great information on the Riverfront. Adding the Riverfront to our list of must-do's.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,017,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slnt View Post
Repboy, thank you for the great information on the Riverfront. Adding the Riverfront to our list of must-do's.
Odd thing is I was there, while Grizzlies were in playoffs, and the street adajcent the river was submerged. Saw the Beale St sign largely underwater that was on CNN, from the hilly parking area above the street.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 AM

469 posts, read 973,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Odd thing is I was there, while Grizzlies were in playoffs, and the street adajcent the river was submerged. Saw the Beale St sign largely underwater that was on CNN, from the hilly parking area above the street.

That was during the 100 year flood two years ago. The water did rise 10 feet at the foot of Beale St. and cover a small portion of Riverside Drive at that point which was about fifty feet below the level of Downtown Memphis, so maybe in 98 years when another 100 year flood occurs you might want to avoid that spot. Currently an innovative docking facility serving as home port for the American Queen Paddlewheeler is at this location along with a great new glass front riverside restaurant called The Sunset Grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis