Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:21 PM

191 posts, read 774,003 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Will be visiting Memphis for 24 hours with my family which includes teenagers. What are some "do not miss" places to visit, tour, and "must go" places to eat? We are all looking forward to sampling some Memphis Bar-B-Que! Also, can you recommend what part of town is a safe family place to stay or areas to avoid?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 06:16 PM

6 posts, read 23,383 times
Memphis is unique in that the so-called "good" neighborhoods are surround by the "bad" ones, and vice versa. What I'm trying to say is that you can't avoid crime anywhere anymore. Now to answer your question:

Do Not Miss
-Beale Street (Wet Willie's, Hard Rock Cafe)
-Memphis Grizzlies game (one of the best teams right now)
-for BBQ, honestly you can get that anywhere

Since you have teenagers, it may be hard to please them so I would suggest the Wolfchase Galleria, the biggest mall in the area, and that should keep them busy. It's in the Bartlett/Memphis City limits area off I-40E.

Also you can do the whole Graceland and Civil Rights Museum thing, but that's usually a bore for teens. Depending on what part of the city you're staying in, getting to certain places requires planning. The expressway is one giant circle and if your plans involve anywhere not along the circle, you're gonna get frustrated real quick.

I don't think I answered your question well enough, but gimme a sec and I'll give you more specific places to eat at, in good areas of the city of course .

Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,056,686 times
Stay downtown. Go to Sun Studios. It's the Vatican of Rock N Roll. Several things to do. When will you be here?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:35 PM

6 posts, read 23,383 times
-Rendezvous barbeque (world famous dry rub style) in Downtown Memphis
-Neelys BBQ (they have their own show on Food Network "Down Home With the Neelys") in Downtown
-Central BBQ in Midtown Memphis

Basically like Knuckle said, stay downtown.

Those are the top three. Google for the exact address(es). Hope that helps!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:51 PM

738 posts, read 2,579,116 times
Go to Sun Studios, it gives you a taste of Graceland without breaking the bank or boring your teens. It's a live tour, and you can take one of their busses to Beale, or walk if its a nice day.

I disagree about the mall though, Wolfchase is a zoo on the weekends, and nothing at all special about it.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,056,686 times
Backbeat Tours are great from what I hear.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 PM

191 posts, read 774,003 times
Thank you all for the great tips! Please, keep them coming.

CuckoooCynthia, looking forward to trying the Bar B-Que you suggested. Hope some of the restaurants sell their dry rubs to take back home with us. Thank you also for the tips on where to go.

knucklehead_vol, will look into Sun Studios. Sounds like it will hold everyones' attention ;-) Which will hold the teenagers' attention better, Sun Studios or Backbeat Tours?

ColliervilleMom, Thank you for the tip on Sun Studios.
How is the Gibson Factory Tour?

Looks like I will plan on getting a hotel around downtown. Is there a part of downtown more convenient or safer that we should plan on staying? I read somewhere that East Memphis is better, is this true? We will be driving from Nashville, are there roads or areas we should avoid getting to Memphis?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 PM

159 posts, read 157,705 times
Many would say that East Memphis is a desirable part of town in which to live, but my guess is that few would recommend East Memphis over the downtown area in the case of somebody who will be in town for only 24 hours.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,060,622 times
Are they teen girls or boys?

Just stay downtown and avoid all the interstate driving. Downtown hotels are fine. When we are back visiting my family, we stay just off Beale and roam without problems. Last time we stayed at the Westin across from the Forum and had a GREAT experience.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,997,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slnt View Post
Thank you all for the great tips! Please, keep them coming.

CuckoooCynthia, looking forward to trying the Bar B-Que you suggested. Hope some of the restaurants sell their dry rubs to take back home with us. Thank you also for the tips on where to go.

knucklehead_vol, will look into Sun Studios. Sounds like it will hold everyones' attention ;-) Which will hold the teenagers' attention better, Sun Studios or Backbeat Tours?

ColliervilleMom, Thank you for the tip on Sun Studios.
How is the Gibson Factory Tour?

Looks like I will plan on getting a hotel around downtown. Is there a part of downtown more convenient or safer that we should plan on staying? I read somewhere that East Memphis is better, is this true? We will be driving from Nashville, are there roads or areas we should avoid getting to Memphis?
I had to go for a few days as a friend was graduating from U of M, she had gone remote from Az, but wanted to attend ceremonies, so they made a weekend of it.

I stayed at, and enjoyed the Crown Plaza , and they had a free shuttle that would take you downtown or anywhere within 5 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis