Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:16 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I also forgot to mention that Midtown has projects lined up for the foreseeable future to keep it 'the' premier development spot in the city. .
I honestly think Midtown will only improve in the foreseeable future.

I'd like the city and the younger residents to focus in the area around White Station and Mendenhall north to Park in the future as well. I'm surprised at the number of younger homeowners in that area. The housing stock appears small, but very sturdy and pretty flexible. Seems to be convenient to the east Memphis businesses and the interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
I honestly think Midtown will only improve in the foreseeable future.

I'd like the city and the younger residents to focus in the area around White Station and Mendenhall north to Park in the future as well. I'm surprised at the number of younger homeowners in that area. The housing stock appears small, but very sturdy and pretty flexible. Seems to be convenient to the east Memphis businesses and the interstate.

Diasgree on the Midtown part, although I do think East Memphis will grow more for corporations and businesses. Centrally located pretty much. But there is so much going on in Midtown and it has been the staple of grassroots and local movements for decades in Memphis.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
Diasgree on the Midtown part
What's wrong with mid town? We almost bought a house off McLean last year before we decided on the burbs. I love the area except for the lack of retail and the traffic. It's like a suburb with enough charm and age to have a little character. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but some of my favorite neighborhoods in Memphis are in mid town.

I wasn't here 10 years ago, but at least now it seems to be in good shape. I'd like to see the area north of Jackson improved a bit because I'm a sucker for the old Craftsman style house.

I love Collierville, but it will be 30 years before nostalgia makes my 1970s/1980s neighborhood charming.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I think knucklehead_vol misread your original post as being anti-Midtown.

Also, I think it's interesting that you report traffic as an issue in Midtown. In my experience, this is the least-trafficked part of the city. (Well, at peak times, Union Ave can get crazy, but...) Whenever I have to drive around Poplar/Mendenhall or further out in Germantown or Collierville, traffic drives me insane!!!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Also, I think it's interesting that you report traffic as an issue in Midtown. In my experience, this is the least-trafficked part of the city. (Well, at peak times, Union Ave can get crazy, but...) Whenever I have to drive around Poplar/Mendenhall or further out in Germantown or Collierville, traffic drives me insane!!!
That makes sense.

Union traffic was what I was referring to. It can get hairy and the six lane road is busy enough to discourage pedestrians. I think if they added street parking, they can encourage more pedestrians with a "barrier" of parked cars.

I honestly never really had probems with traffic in either Germantown or Collierville. You are right about the Mendenhall/Poplar area in east Memphis though.

I think the worst areas for traffic in the metro are Germantown Parkway in Cordova, and the poplar/240 area. I bet Goodman road/I-55 is pretty nasty at rush hour as well.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:42 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,216 times
Quote:

Must have...

But in my defense, I probably shouldn't post while drinking.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:17 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Ah, now we know the real culprit.

I totally agree about Union. I have "heard" (and you know how this goes) that there is difficulty in getting Union down to four lanes due to it being a primary route to the medical district. But you know how that stuff goes - people will make up anything for a story. All I know is, I went to the Union Ave Kroger today and the ingress/egress was terrible. I think changes are probably coming, but I think we will see reconfigured Cleveland, parts of Evergreen, etc. before Union.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Ah, now we know the real culprit.

I totally agree about Union. I have "heard" (and you know how this goes) that there is difficulty in getting Union down to four lanes due to it being a primary route to the medical district. But you know how that stuff goes - people will make up anything for a story. All I know is, I went to the Union Ave Kroger today and the ingress/egress was terrible. I think changes are probably coming, but I think we will see reconfigured Cleveland, parts of Evergreen, etc. before Union.
I'd honestly like to see a 5 lane road (4 travel lanes with a center turn lane) with parallel parking if they can fit it. I believe they can.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:34 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times
have more mid priced restaurants like Red Lobster, TGI Friday's, Applebee's, nicer hotels and more shopping along the areas near Graceland, I think the Whitehaven area would really benefit if there was more shopping, nicer restaurants and hotels.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:14 PM

329 posts, read 636,054 times
have more mid priced restaurants like Red Lobster, TGI Friday's, Applebee's, nicer hotels and more shopping along the areas near Graceland, I think the Whitehaven area would really benefit if there was more shopping, nicer restaurants and hotels.

Whitehaven's improving, the city is investing road, sidewalks and streetscape improvements along Elvis Presley Blvd. It has already started. This will hopefully bring more private investments. Elvis Presley Boulevard Improvements :: City of Memphis, TN
Then the largest Hotel outside of the downtown market(450 Room hotel) has already broken ground, which will be right next to Graceland. Upscale restauraunts, bowling and more is coming. So the moves are being made. First look at proposed Guest House at Graceland - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis