Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 09:33 AM

814 posts, read 1,149,650 times

Advertisements

I recently came across a discussion on another forum about "dead malls," and it reminded me of a jarring experience I'd had upon visiting Memphis for the first time about a year ago: walking around Downtown and stumbling upon the abandoned Peabody Place Mall.

What a tragic experiment in urban planning that was. I don't know what was occupying this land before the Peabody Place development began, but I was horrified that several square blocks of a Central Business District street grid were destroyed to put in a hulking, enclosed shopping mall. Even worse were the completely pedestrian-unfriendly design aspects. The huge, blank walls and few street-level windows were one thing, but I was downright shocked at the lack of street-level pedestrian entrances. It seemed like 90% of the mall's entrances were meant to be via walkways from adjacent parking garages.

Not surprisingly, this mall was totally vacant and closed to the public, and a quick Google search hasn't been too informative, so I figured I'd ask here (after not finding a thread specific to this topic): are there any plans in place to use the space that the Peabody Place Mall is currently taking up? What kinds of things are being considered?

I found myself quietly impressed by Memphis the two times I have been there now, and it struck me as quite sad that this derelict disaster is hampering your Downtown's vibrancy in such a way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 AM

112 posts, read 183,542 times
I hope they consider dynamite - it's useless for that sort of retail usage...most of the shopping public don't live near the CBD...and never will....this place is not NYC with a Fifth or a Chicago with a Michigan, and it's stupid to attempt that planning approach, but some don't get it in Memphis, and pretend that they can turn DT into an urban planners "dream model", with high density living...

Fools they are

Old 06-05-2013, 10:04 AM

814 posts, read 1,149,650 times
Even if Downtown Memphis theoretically was a high-residential density "urban planner's dream," a multi-block-eating enclosed mall with almost zero street-friendliness still wouldn't be the way to go. In New York and Chicago, the shops at least front the street, with giant windows, and are meant to be accessed on foot.

I'm with you, though, on blowing the whole thing up. I just don't see how that space could be utilized effectively without starting from scratch.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 AM

well....you are correct, any first year planning student would know that...but therein that should tell you all you need to know about Memphis...I'm a graduate student in UP as well, and I constantly laugh about Memphis "decisions".....this is one of the dumbest

***in Mem, too much glass frontage would result in more smash&grab...the place is statistically crime ridden

Last edited by JMT; 06-05-2013 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Let's keep this thread just about Peabody Place.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 AM

255 posts, read 710,582 times
412, good observations. It's interesting because the mall used to be quite busy at one time with a huge movie theater, restaurants and some decent shops. Now, I think the only main tenant is the News Channel 3 morning show studios.

Last edited by JMT; 06-05-2013 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Let's keep this thread just about Peabody Place.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:46 AM

No one came to the "mall" piece of crap more than one or two times...they never came back ! WHY ??? I didn't either...it was an awful shopping experience...period....no one is going to pile in their cars and drive from Gtown, Collierville, Bartlett, Cordova, shady Grove, Arlington, Eads, Mississippi to go DT crime ridden Mem to "shop" for BS offerings !

Nope, OP, these people are delusional about where Memphis actually is in terms of economic and social development.....not to mention urban development.....suburbs are KING in the MSA and shall remain so for the next 25 years....duh...

The cheerleaders remain committed to being blind....haven't you noticed ??

Last edited by JMT; 06-05-2013 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: Please keep this thread just about Peabody Place.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 AM

170 posts, read 355,630 times
The space could be utilized for the growing downtown population, as well as visitors. It can't be the typical Macy's, but a movie theater, grocery store, bowling alley, etc. as well as some tourist friendly places would likely succeed imo.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:00 PM

geezus...a freekin bowling alley ??

my goodness...where does the insanity stop in Memphis ?

Theater ? no one is going to pass 3 theaters closer to their evening home destination to go to freekin DT to watch the same movie playing 3 miles from their homes at 7:10, 9:10 or 11:15PM ....

DT does need a grocery, but again, it can't be in such a stupid facility like that

Macy's ??? you couldn't beg Federated to make such a mistake...TOO MANY other CITIES in which to invest capital dollars and get a much better ROI !!! geezus chrise...for the same investment they could make better money in suburban and growing Mobile AL LOL....Huntsville AL, Palm coast FL, hell, even more in East TN !

Old 06-05-2013, 10:53 PM

329 posts, read 635,683 times
The place is being planned into Suites by The Belz Family who owns The Peabody. Not sure about the retail but it will still be some after the renovations..

Old 06-07-2013, 11:11 AM

188 posts, read 372,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by characterRef View Post
geezus...a freekin bowling alley ??

my goodness...where does the insanity stop in Memphis ?

Theater ? no one is going to pass 3 theaters closer to their evening home destination to go to freekin DT to watch the same movie playing 3 miles from their homes at 7:10, 9:10 or 11:15PM ....

DT does need a grocery, but again, it can't be in such a stupid facility like that

Macy's ??? you couldn't beg Federated to make such a mistake...TOO MANY other CITIES in which to invest capital dollars and get a much better ROI !!! geezus chrise...for the same investment they could make better money in suburban and growing Mobile AL LOL....Huntsville AL, Palm coast FL, hell, even more in East TN !
Damn true. They tried a theater but it was overrun by thugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis