Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:04 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
I already live in 38141. Also I do not mind if the neighborhood is majority Black or not. I am looking for a neighborhood where most of the people have jobs or are retired, good schools (public/private), if a lot of children in the area then stable two parent homes, no grafitti, etc... I do not care what color the people are. I just put out the disclaimer to let those know giving me advice that I am comfortable with a predominately Black area so long as it is not ghetto. I live in 38141 and it is a little to ghetto for my taste. Some blocks are nice then you go another block over and there are groups of Black male teenagers hanging out in the middle of the day with their pants sagging, using profanity, etc... My neighbor is 13 and his brother is 15 and I have never seen them go to school. When I am on vacation or off on a weekday they ask me for cigarettes at 10am. Also I had my $25 dollar bbq grill from Fred's stolen while on vacation in Orange Beach, Alabama from my backyard. So it is a little to ghetto for me. Also as stated I am looking for an area with more republicans and or conservatives in it. I believe politics do matter and I have seen all I need to see from the Black run democratic political machine in Memphis.
It is going to be hard to find what you are looking for in that price range. Too bad you can not live in MS. Bartlett may be your best best bet if you have to be outside of the City. There are nice areas like Colonial Acres, Sea Isle and Balmoral where you could find an older home or a recently renovated home in that price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 08:12 AM

45 posts, read 67,510 times
My husband and I plan on purchasing a new home next year as well. We already live in Horn Lake and 10 years ago when I purchased the home I had no idea it would decline so quickly. My neighborhood now consist of majority rentals and/or ghetto/trashy people of both color black/white. Lol. So @MissStateDog I feel ya!

So as the hubby and I was riding around yesterday we loved the collierville area and also it's pretty nice right off 385 around hacks cross area. We're trying to figure out if we want to just stay in desoto county (we have 2kids 11 and 5) because we love the school district or branch out and try Shelby county? I also like anything out by Wolfchase mall is that considered Cordova? I also know I wanted it to be unincorporated if we chose Shelby County. How is Cordova area now I see some nice homes in our price range of 150-175k. But I don't know if that's a good or bad thing...should we try our luck with Shelby County or play it safe and stick to Southaven/Olive Branch.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:46 AM

428 posts, read 849,051 times
If I had my choice but I do not like because like I said my job requires me under law to live in shelby county I would live in Olive Branch. Collierville is nice though. Have some fam in Cordova and go there often it is pretty nice and safe as well. Just a little crowded for me on its thoroughfares. I really liked Arlington. I would stay away from any part of unincorporated shelby county that is in the Memphis annexation reserve.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:01 AM

Yes Cordova is crowded just like goodman road. Ugh! Which I try to stay away from. What do you mean by annexation is reserved? When I looked at some houses in Cordova that's what it stated unincorporated which I thought meant it's not considered city... Am I correct?

Old 11-10-2013, 03:02 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnH View Post
Yes Cordova is crowded just like goodman road. Ugh! Which I try to stay away from. What do you mean by annexation is reserved? When I looked at some houses in Cordova that's what it stated unincorporated which I thought meant it's not considered city... Am I correct?
That means that the area is not currently in the City, but the area can be annexed into the City of Memphis. You also may want to read up on the school situation in SC. It would probably be best to be inside the borders of one of the suburban towns to ensure that you get your kids in good schools. The unincorporated areas are a toss up right now as it relates to schools.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:41 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
I would stay away from any part of unincorporated shelby county that is in the Memphis annexation reserve.
I'd have to agree with that.

Not that being in Memphis is a bad thing, but it does come with significantly higher tax burden that will damage property values. That Memphis penalty isn't always priced into unincorporated homes.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:42 PM

255 posts, read 710,979 times
I would definitely look at Bartlett in neighborhoods like East Hill off of Kirby Whitten Rd. Good neighborhood, larger lots, great schools, homes in your price range.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:27 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
That means that the area is not currently in the City, but the area can be annexed into the City of Memphis. You also may want to read up on the school situation in SC. It would probably be best to be inside the borders of one of the suburban towns to ensure that you get your kids in good schools. The unincorporated areas are a toss up right now as it relates to schools.
Just to clarify for AutumnH:

Unincorporated: land is not in the city of Memphis (or any city)

Memphis' annexation reserve: unincorporated lands in which Memphis has the right/ability to annex. This does not include all unincorporated lands. (Though most unincorporated land in Shelby County is in the annexation reserve of one municipality or another.) http://shelbycountytn.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/663

Old 11-11-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Just to clarify for AutumnH:

Unincorporated: land is not in the city of Memphis (or any city)

Memphis' annexation reserve: unincorporated lands in which Memphis has the right/ability to annex. This does not include all unincorporated lands. (Though most unincorporated land in Shelby County is in the annexation reserve of one municipality or another.) http://shelbycountytn.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/663

Ok. Thanks for the clarification! I guess with all that being said I should probably just stay in desoto county because I know the schools and the school district. I think I was just trying to get in a different area for a change.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:45 PM

912 posts, read 1,525,325 times
How many bedrooms/bathrooms do you want/need? Do you need a garage, or is a carport okay (or something else)? Any other housing preferences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis