Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:13 PM

31 posts, read 67,554 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be driving in Memphis for the first time, and basically my route (coming from I-40 in Arkansas) is going to be Front St. (downtown) turning onto Union Ave., which becomes Walnut Grove until I get to Shelby Farms and then returning the same route. Is Union Ave. from downtown to Walnut Grove to Shelby Farms a scary or dangerous road for traffic/lanes/intersections? I'll be coming in on a Thursday morning around 8:30 AM and returning around 4 PM.

If so, what's the least "scary" route from Arkansas I-40 to Shelby Farms?

Last edited by cloudeleven; 08-19-2014 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 08:19 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
No, it's totally fine.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:29 PM

185 posts, read 967,083 times
The lack of a middle lane for Union always scares me and I'm grateful anytime I make it past Union without a wreck. I was just on Union yesterday and I don't like how we must make a complete stop in the middle of a busy lane to make our turn. Just pay attention and don't speed and you'll make it through OK. As far as your safety is concerned in regards to the demographics, your entire route is just about as good as you can expect for traveling straight through the city, but I'd recommend replacing Union with Poplar if you can manage it. Basically anything within close proximity to Poplar is within our Green Zone (combat free zone).

Speaking of wrecks, I've had 3 wrecks at the Poplar and Highland intersection over the past decade (on 3/4 sides)! Just need one more to occur on the North Highland side to complete a quadratic.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
IMHO, the downtown stretch of Poplar would be much "scarier" to tourists than Union.

As for "no middle lane" on Union, just be glad they don't use the "reversible lanes" there anymore.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcity View Post
I'd recommend replacing Union with Poplar if you can manage it. Basically anything within close proximity to Poplar is within our Green Zone (combat free zone).
I've read on here that Poplar is a scary drive though in terms of traffic/lanes...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/19290282-post7.html

Old 08-19-2014, 09:26 PM

185 posts, read 967,083 times
Poplar absolutely trumps Union for driving. The worst part is perhaps the grungy walkers that roam and jaywalk for just a handful of blocks in the downtown section, yet I consider that hurdle safer than a deer crossing. In fact, Union is just 4 lanes wide where Poplar is 7 lanes (3 per side + middle). I always choose Poplar for traversing Memphis from the new bridge and always choose Summer Avenue for leaving Memphis since it's a straight shot to the bridge.

Walnut Grove would have the least traffic and be mostly residential, so you can take a breather on this portion of the obstacle course.

Last edited by simcity; 08-19-2014 at 09:38 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 11:11 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
Union is fine. It's a busy commercial road, but not exactly New York City either. The Walnut Grove portion is a beautiful through some of the nicest neighborhoods in town.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:25 AM

So if I can't handle Union/Walnut Grove during rush hour, I'm a very novice driver indeed?

Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 AM

129 posts, read 304,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudeleven View Post
So if I can't handle Union/Walnut Grove during rush hour, I'm a very novice driver indeed?
If you can't handle that, I would recommend the bus
Poplar near downdown can be a little off putting. I personally would just take Union and stay in the middle lane. Once on Walnut Grove, you should be fine. I find that the lanes on Poplar are too tight, especially once you cross Parkway. And for sure don't drive in the lane closest to the sidewalk on Poplar. You will think your mirrors are going to be knocked off everytime you drive passed a light pole or that you are going to fall into a water drain.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:08 PM

737 posts, read 1,915,892 times
Poplar towards downtown is bad with all the people wandering into the street. People don't look and don't care. Just step out into the road, assuming everyone will stop for them. Poplar in east Memphis is just really crowded, tons of traffic. Walnut Grove is wider and less congested with businesses and trucks. A lot of traffic these days though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: