Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:29 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,375,420 times

Advertisements

The link isn't working...can you repost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMGrad92 View Post
This map shows the criminal homicides in Memphis this year (non-justifiable homicides are at 132, with 28 justifiable homicides). As you can see, the only one in Cordova is the woman and the thug from Nutbush who killed her ex-boyfriend at the Woodchase apartments. Not that Cordova is crime free, but it clearly is safer (at least from getting killed) than the rest of Memphis.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,446 times
You Can't Escape Crime-memphismurders2007.pngHope this works..

Last edited by UofMGrad92; 12-27-2007 at 09:42 PM..

Old 12-28-2007, 08:12 AM

This is murders? The map makes it look like there were a ton of murders downtown this year, which there weren't. Maybe it's sizing it wrong.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:33 AM

I'm guessing they occured in the areas around downtown that are known for such things, but there are so many that it spaced out the indicators funny and makes it appear they were more disperesed than they actually are.

I got this map from a website (blog) about Memphis crime. It's written by an employee of the Memphis Police Department, and if it's allowed, I'll post a link here. I think it is probably pretty accurate when you look at the areas where there were few or no murders (Midtown, East Memphis, Cordova).

Old 12-28-2007, 09:50 AM

Definitely post the link of you can, I'd like to be able to zoom in on it. It "looks" like there were a couple murders in midtown (right over the 78) but I think they are actually pointing down more south.

What I find most striking is the amount of murders along the 385 corridor (Nonconnah, Bill Morris, whatever the heck it's called now...) right east of Hickory Hill. That area used to be really nice, up until about 5 or so years ago. Very depressing how it went downhill so fast.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 AM

http://memphiscrime.blogspot.com/

Here is the link. I'm not sure about how good this map is for being precise. It would appear from the map that the area just east of Hickory Hill is actually worse than Hickory Hill or Whitehaven. Not that there aren't better areas of either Hickory Hill or Whitehaven, but in general, I would say that the area this map seems to indicate (it appears to me to be around Ridgeway and Kirby Parkway south of 385) is much nicer than the vast majority of Whitehaven or Hickory Hill.

The above website just has the map but did not list the actual addresses, so it's hard to see how accurate it is. There is also a bit of an explanation of the difference between criminal homicide and justifiable homicide. I'm not sure that it should cause a great deal of relief to people in the area that of the 160 homicides so far this year, 28 have been ruled justifiable. After all, someone was being threatened with some harm that led to the justifiable homicides. But at least some people are starting to fight back against the animals who prey on the innocent.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:33 PM

29 posts, read 120,992 times
I'm returning to Memphis in the very near future---6 months or less. I lived there from '88-'91, in Atoka, stationed at NAS Memphis. I'm sorry I ever left. After retirement from the USN, I returned home to Florida. I've watched the crime in Orlando rise and rise. I moved to Jacksonville in 2001 and watched it go nuts! Second year in a row Jax is murder capital of Florida! Point being, crime is everywhere. I spent over 15 years in law enforcement---military and civilian. One of the easiest crime prevention methods is personal awareness. Know your surroundings. Be observant of wherever you are. Be suspicious. If you are moving to a new area, do your homework. Check crime stats, ask questions, research, research, research. You do not have to be a victim. I'm looking in Midtown. Crime is lower there, and every house I'm looking at has a fenced yard. That translates to BFD (big, freaking dog). I used to teach personal safety, self-defense, both armed and un-armed. Now I practice what I preach. There are numerous ways to protect yourself, your family, your property. Don't be afraid, don't be a victim. I'll let y'all know when I get there. Maybe I'll start teaching again.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:22 AM

42 posts, read 136,239 times
I am thinking of moving to Tennessee. I have completed research on Arkansas and Tennessee. Which state is the best one to move to? Schools, crime, shopping, culture, hospitals, etc...

Old 01-01-2008, 09:43 AM

You might want to post your question as it's own post, not attached to this one.

I don't really understand your question. You are thinking of moving ANYWHERE in AR or TN? or are you talking about moving to Memphis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda88 View Post
I am thinking of moving to Tennessee. I have completed research on Arkansas and Tennessee. Which state is the best one to move to? Schools, crime, shopping, culture, hospitals, etc...

Old 01-02-2008, 09:47 PM

625 posts, read 4,570,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda88 View Post
Brentwood, TN - Williamson County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis