Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2014, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,322 times

Advertisements

I am a 23 female that has taken a job in Memphis. My office is off of Quince Road, but will also have to fly out of Memphis for work. I'm looking for something that is SAFE first and foremost, but also want to be somewhere I can meet young people. I have heard that Mud Island is a nice place and also have heard that Germantown was good. Unfortunately I can only afford a apartment in the price range of $700 to $800. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 09:33 PM

145 posts, read 274,436 times
Cooper-Young would probably be what you're looking for, and there are definitely some studios/1 bedrooms available in your price range in/around the area. It's a very young, walkable neighborhood that is relatively safe, and located an equal distance to the airport and Quince Rd.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:24 AM

680 posts, read 1,035,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuboo View Post
I am a 23 female that has taken a job in Memphis. My office is off of Quince Road, but will also have to fly out of Memphis for work. I'm looking for something that is SAFE first and foremost, but also want to be somewhere I can meet young people. I have heard that Mud Island is a nice place and also have heard that Germantown was good. Unfortunately I can only afford a apartment in the price range of $700 to $800. Thanks in advance.
Germantown or Collierville are probably safest. The truth is that Memphis is a very dangerous city and you can put yourself at unnecessary risk by choosing the wrong place to live. Some people like to sugar coat it, but the reality is that this place has a serious problem. My own company regularly loses young college recruits your age after 4-5 months because they end up having a bad experience in Memphis. There are some safe place in town, but they are few and far between for $700/month.

Your instinct to look into Germantown is a smart move. There are some apartments in Collierville like Legacy Farm that are very safe, right up against a jogging path, close to good grocery and gym options, and ideal if you work on the eastern side of town. I'd recommend something like that until you've got your bearings and fully experienced the Memphis metro. Madison at Humphrey is an okay place in town that isn't too far from quince either.

I DO NOT recommed mud island. While relatively safe, it is a long hike to big employers on the eastern side of town and neither it nor downtown has any decent grocery options. The Poplar/Cleveland Kroger is shady to say the least, and you'd pretty much have to drive all the way into mid town for groceries.

Last edited by tigerphan; 12-15-2014 at 01:48 AM..

Old 12-15-2014, 07:51 AM

737 posts, read 1,918,827 times
Personally, I like the island, and the drive to work would be the opposite of most traffic so it wouldn't be AS bad. But, it would mean you're going pretty much from one side of the side to the other, which doesn't make a ton of sense for someone like you. Germantown is of course very nice but I'm not sure $800 would get you anything there.

If you want safety and you're thinking Germantown or the island, nothing in midtown compares. If you work out east, and you have to be at the airport a lot, I'd pick Germantown for now. You can always move elsewhere later once you've been here a while.

"Meeting people" is over-rated, in the sense that it's not like you meet your future friends and husbands on the front yard of your house. No matter where you live, you have to leave the house to meet people, so it really doesn't matter what area of the city you live in. Of course if you want to be within walking distance to bars, that limits your options greatly.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:37 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,401,488 times
Check out Poplar Pines Apartments. My dad lives there. They're in a very nice part of Memphis, right on the border with Germantown. It's not far from your job and you could hop on 240 and be at the airport in 20 minutes. They only have one bedrooms, so there are no kids causing trouble. Rent is in the low 700s/month.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:18 PM

680 posts, read 1,035,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Check out Poplar Pines Apartments. My dad lives there. They're in a very nice part of Memphis, right on the border with Germantown. It's not far from your job and you could hop on 240 and be at the airport in 20 minutes. They only have one bedrooms, so there are no kids causing trouble. Rent is in the low 700s/month.
That's good advice. Those are also near a bus stop as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis