Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:14 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times

Advertisements

My finance and I are moving to the Memphis area next mothh.

She wants to buy a house (she's from the South and thinks everyone should own their own home instead of renting; she thinks renting is like throwing money out the window)

I want to rent. I've talked to a couple of long time residents of the Memphis area and they tell me "higher end" real estate homes take "forever" sometimes more than 12-18 months on the market to sell.

Money is not the issue. I can afford anything in the Memphis area.

So is it safer just to rent a corporate apartment say at the Vineyard? rather than jump in a buy a home.

I found super cheap homes in the 300-400K in the collierville area and pretty cheap homes in Germantown for 600-800K.

So the only issue, is how fast can I unload the house if I want to move quickly. I really do not know how long I will be in the area. It may be a few months, it may be 2-3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 02:19 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Well, you have things here:

1) why on earth would you rent if you can afford an $800k house and find that to be "cheap"
but

2) if you are only going to stay a few months possibly, why buy.

We are discussing this in a post today. The market everywhere is pretty low right now. I have seen houses on the market for a year or more. Granted, they were not $800k homes, but you'd suspect that an $800k home would be harder to unload quickly than a $200k home. Smaller market for them.

If I bought a house and then had to move in 3 months, I'd probably end up giving myself a stroke. I can't imagine that headache. But, of course if "money is no option" then you probably have people hired to do everything for you If only we could all be in your predicament!!

Old 03-04-2008, 02:48 PM

185 posts, read 967,329 times
Even hiring people for the move is a headache as it's still your stuff and you want it organized. If staying less than a year then I'd definitely rather rent to avoid the hassle of two closings.

And yes, I've seen the same high end homes sit on the market for ages. The higher the home price the fewer the buyers in that range, and in Memphis only a tiny % of the population is buying in your range. Keep in mind that 1/4 of the Memphis population lives in poverty.

Sounds like you belong in Germantown though. More millionaires per capita live in Germantown, TN than any other city in the USA, other than Beverly Hills. Your finance would enjoy the tea and tennis parties.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:59 PM

Thanks, I found the other post on this forum.

Yeah, the main reason I was posting was to show my finance that you just do not move and get buy a home right away before you even settle. I really just want to get a feel for the area for 6mo-1year before I decide.

I still have my house in Suburban Washington DC (I doubt I will sell it in this market) but my mortgage of 4K is resonable where I can still rent it out (probably for a lost) and I can still afford up to another house in another era.

I usually keep my total housing expenses less than 10-15% of my monthly income and buying a home in the 600K range with a 20% down payment would probably up my housing expenses (with the 2 mortgages (one in DC and one in (germantown/collierville etc) to 20%, which I'm not comfortable with.

I've seen people in the DC area where their housing costs consume 50% of their monthly income and that leaves little room for emergencies. I never want to be in that situation.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:01 AM

89 posts, read 317,147 times
Don't buy. This place is a cesspool. Ask anyone when you get here. Almost everyone you talk to is unhappy here and wants to get out. And I can't blame them. I've lived here 5 years. Five years too long.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 AM

252 posts, read 710,273 times
Default Don't buy

My husband and I made the mistake of buying just six months after landing here. It was a big mistake. We didn't know the area and we bought in an unincorporated part of Memphis. Two years later we were lucky to sell and get out. We now live in a condo in Germantown and love living in Germantown. But I'm still homesick and fed up with the Memphis area, so we are looking to get out of here and go home.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umograd83 View Post
My husband and I made the mistake of buying just six months after landing here. It was a big mistake. We didn't know the area and we bought in an unincorporated part of Memphis. Two years later we were lucky to sell and get out. We now live in a condo in Germantown and love living in Germantown. But I'm still homesick and fed up with the Memphis area, so we are looking to get out of here and go home.
Thanks for the advice. I think I will just suck it up and pay for corporate apartment so that will give me more flexibility.

Rent for $2100 for a 2bedroom 2 bathroom I found seems a little expensive even for the germantown area but I'll rather pay now than have a home sitting that I cannot sell.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:20 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Oh my god. Where is that?! I can't imagine paying more than $1300 a month for ANY house anywhere here. Germantown or not. Unless the 2/2 house is 3000 sq feet.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Oh my god. Where is that?! I can't imagine paying more than $1300 a month for ANY house anywhere here. Germantown or not. Unless the 2/2 house is 3000 sq feet.
That's the price quote I got from the vineyard people. That's an apartment with a one car garage. I think it was somewhere off wolf river parkway (or something like like).

It's furnished and everything. I am treating like a extended stay apartment. I am planning to fly back almost every weekend between April and June before my wedding. Don't even get me started about airline prices from memphis to Washington DC. They are extremely expensive (even for flights with layovers). I just spent $1300 on a nonstop flight (coach) from Regan National to Memphis (with one week notice). Memphis has got to have the highest price flights for a major hub city.

I spent almost over 150 days in hotels last year because of my business.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 AM

774 posts, read 2,582,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
That's the price quote I got from the vineyard people. That's an apartment with a one car garage. I think it was somewhere off wolf river parkway (or something like like).

It's furnished and everything. I am treating like a extended stay apartment. I am planning to fly back almost every weekend between April and June before my wedding. Don't even get me started about airline prices from memphis to Washington DC. They are extremely expensive (even for flights with layovers). I just spent $1300 on a nonstop flight (coach) from Regan National to Memphis (with one week notice). Memphis has got to have the highest price flights for a major hub city.

I spent almost over 150 days in hotels last year because of my business.
How in the world did you wind up with that exorbitant fare? I just looked and could fly in one week from National to Memphis for $600 in coach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis