Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 7,252 times

Advertisements

Hello I am moving from Milwaukee to Memphis in the spring. I am a LPN and would like to know if there are alot of jobs available in this field. Also I am looking for a two bedroom apt $550-600, what areas would be partially safe-horn lake and southhaven are also an option (if you could include names of apt or street names it would be very helpful). I would prefer an area that is culturally diverse or an area with minority group residents. these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 08:13 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,004 times
I think it might be best to find employment first before moving. If you are in the medical field it might be best to move to the MD/DC/VA area. Since those areas have some of the best medical programs and is a big medical area. Memphis have no jobs. The average person in Memphis is broke and if any one tell you anything different they might be the broke one.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:12 PM

232 posts, read 988,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Memphis have no jobs. The average person in Memphis is broke and if any one tell you anything different they might be the broke one.

Thanks for the laugh!

Hopefully someone will be able to help you with your question. Ignore the above poster. Memphis has a huge medical community. I would imagine there are plenty of good-paying jobs here.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:06 AM

235 posts, read 1,357,232 times
Here's my point of view:

Not coming from EVER being in a market for an apartment, I would not know what to suggest. I say to stay north of where Mt Moriah Rd. hits S. Ridgeway Rd./N. Hickory Hill Rd., East of S. Goodlett St. and Park Ave. meet, and South of Summer Ave. As long as you have sense to stay out of Frayser, Hickory Hill (or as some of us say "Hickory 'Hood"), Raleigh, Orange Mound, Parkway Village, Airways, Mid-Town (there are some exceptions), and Bartlett that is BORDERING Raleigh.

IMO: I would (if you have enough money because houses here are cheaper than they are in Wisconsin) buy a house instead of rent an apartment. Right now is the perfect time to buy a house .

Old 12-20-2008, 08:32 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,004 times
houses are cheap because the pay rate in Memphis is cheap. A LPN in Memphis makes around $12.00 dollars a hour. Why not move somewhere else where you can move up in your career and make good money.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:03 AM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,258 times
What is your problem? All you do is come on here and belittle Memphis - and you don't even live here! That pretty much makes your opinion worthless, in my opinion. So what if salaries are higher in Maryland...so is the cost of living!

As for medical centers, Memphis has one of the best in the country. Baptist, Methodist, St. Francis, St. Jude and so on.....

Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 AM

235 posts, read 1,357,232 times
I am surprised: I actually agree with JoeCartpath on something!

Old 12-20-2008, 09:31 AM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,258 times
We probably agree on more than you think Memphis certainly has lots of problems, but overall it's not hell hole people would think from reading this forum. People tend to rant about what is wrong, with no mention of what is right. Plenty of us live very nice lives here...with good jobs, etc. But...for someone not even from the area to make statements like the one below is simply ridiculous. And I won't even comment on the grammar.....

"Memphis have no jobs. The average person in Memphis is broke and if any one tell you anything different they might be the broke one."

Old 12-20-2008, 10:04 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,374,704 times
JoeCartpath, you mean you ain't broke?

Memphis is a medical hub of the mid-south. You will find plenty of nursing jobs in various different areas. You will not have a problem finding a job. There are also great areas of town all over, depending on what you want in an apartment.

What do you mean by "partially safe?" You probably meant particularly safe. I hope! There are safe areas all over. Midtown is very diverse and has plenty of options in your price range. Midtown also has a lot of non-white residents (which are actually the majority, not the minority, here in Memphis, but that's probably more like what you meant).

Old 12-20-2008, 02:03 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Well, on the off chance she does actually mean "partially safe" I'll offer up my old neighborhood in Berclair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis