Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 06:02 PM

94 posts, read 374,792 times

Advertisements

I was planning to go to Florida with just my kids for Spring Break to see my mom, but can no longer drive more than 20 min. w/o pain, etc. (car accident) And I have to be nearby for physical therapy 3 x a week...anyway.

So, I'm considering my husband and I taking an overnight trip (just one night)(prob. with kids) just to downtown, maybe go to a museum. We need a bit of relaxation with everything that's happened, but I really don't know where we can go that's not very far. Even though he can drive, I still don't want to be in a car for more than 1 hour.

What would it be like in Downtown Memphis? What are some good things to do?

If not downtown Memphis, is there any place within an hour that might be scenic and enjoyable?

thanks in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 07:22 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,381,866 times
So you are looking for a hotel? Or a museum? There is plenty to take up a day and night downtown. There is a wide range of prices for hotels too. Depends on what you want to spend. Downtown has Rock & Soul Museum, Civil Rights Museum, Mud Island Museum, Beale St, lots of things to do. Especially when the weather is nice.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 AM

455 posts, read 1,560,355 times
Scenic and enjoyable? I don't know when Spring Break is, but depending on timing the Redbirds might be playing then. However, some climbing steps may be required. If I'm downtown and looking for simple inexpensive easy pleasurable things to do, I like a walk thru Court Square, a trolley ride to the South Main District and a stroll thru the shops there, a visit to the Peabody Hotel lobby (you'll want to see the ducks - anyone can explain what that means), a visit to the Ornamental Metal Museum, a visit to the Pink Palace (in-town on Central), a walk thru Tom Lee Park, and a view of the river from Martyrs' Park. My idea of scenic fun is to sit on a bench in Tom Lee Park and watch the river roll by. For those interested in such things, you can take binoculars and study the towboats and barges, write down the boat names and look them up on the net and learn their entire histories etc. That's some of what can be done downtown. Out east there are other things worth seeing, like Shelby Farms, the zoo and Dixon Gallery & Gardens on Park.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:23 PM

I think we'd stay overnight in a hotel. (we're in Fayette County) Are there boat rides? I can't do a lot of walking, but can do some. Thanks for the information.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:29 PM

122 posts, read 442,068 times
Don't forget about the zoo, if the weather allows.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,381,866 times
In the summer, there are riverboat dinner cruises on the river. They aren't the best, the boats are old and tired. I've heard most people recommend the basic sunset cruise, not the full dinner cruise. But, it's snowy now, so it'll be a while before they open those up

Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 8,072 times
if you can't walk a lot maybe you can get a carriage tour as well

Old 03-10-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncy_babe View Post
if you can't walk a lot maybe you can get a carriage tour as well
I would not have known they had that. I know they had it in Chicago (where I'm from) I guess I am completely in the dark when it comes to what's downtown. The only way to find out is to go! Thank you for recommending this. I think it would be practical and enjoyable!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,105 times
The Doubletree downtown is nice, upscale and not to expensive, but you gotta eat at TGI Fridays. Next door is the Peabody - what a great hotel! Autozone is an absolute must if you're a baseball fan and Beale St. is right there in easy walking distance. See Sun Studios down the street on Union. Best barbecue? Rendevous for the dry ribs, Pigs on Beale for the wet. But remember... Memphis is a dangerous city. Know where you're going and what you're doing.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:15 PM

Ok, so my hubby and I are going to do a one night thing with NO kids, yay!

But I have some more questions - What exactly is Mud Island? Seriously, don't laugh, I don't know. Is it an island is there a hotel on it? Is the peabody a famous hotel of some sort? How far is the peabody from the riverfront where we could take a stroll? Is it safe to take a walk downtown? I'd really like a hotel that faces the river front but don't know which one that would be, and again, is it safe?

I'm thinking it's fine, but want to be sure, we're new, and we're an inter-racial couple. Just want to cover all bases. I've been to the zoo - he's not interested in the zoo. The pink palace I went to the other day with a school group - it's awesome, but that's something to do with kids.

So basically, I just wanted to know what mud island and the peabody ARE and if those areas are "safe?" Thanks so much!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis