Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:51 AM

173 posts, read 443,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
Tell that to Dubai, Vegas, Manhattan, Miami, Austin, Hong Kong, etc. In Austin for example, the majority of the now impressive skyline was built in the last 8 years.
Dubai and Hong Kong are incomparable b/c other nations are more interested in ego-stroking. Vegas is not a great example given that their economic struggles are partly because of their ego. Not something to emulate. America doesn't care about those things as much as it did before, and not as much as countries trying to get to and experience where we already have been. It's still a cool thing, and where convenient worth pursuing, but it has just been superceded in national priority by other things. Growth of towers in cities in other nations appears to be a national priority.

Memphis is more along the lines of cities like Austin, OKC, Tulsa, B'ham, Portland, etc. Cities that are trying to get to that next level, and, in some respects, the "size" of the skyline is perceived to be a reflection of the "size" of other bodily parts. But those cities must balance out the expense of that skyline versus investment in other aspects of a community that improve its quality of life. One thing that Memphis has been advanced in has been the street-level activity of its downtown areas after work hours. That can be preserved with towers that house residents instead of offices. One thing that Memphis (and StL) suffers from is the geographic location of its downtown versus its metro. If one wants downtown Memphis to once again be the center, then regional focus should be given to Arkansas to improve its economy and its participation in the metro circulation of traffic, trade, and services.

I for one would like to improve the diversity of our skyline, more so than the height. Our advantage is the historic collection of towers. Our problem is in the lack of modern quality towers. I think Trinity Tower would've really enhanced the skyline, even if it was a sub-30 story tower. I pray that idea will revive. Ideally, I would've liked to have seen Trinity, One Beale, and the hole built as 25+ towers. I don't care about height as much as I have before. I think that's more of an ego thing these days.

I just don't want an empty shell up there. If all one wants is an ego enhancement object, then build a huge observation tower like CN or Stratosphere. I think refocusing attention to growth and development of the Arkansas side of the metro will recalibrate the region's center back toward Midtown/downtown, and make building there more important. That would be a long-term goal. Short-term, just support downtown, shop and eat there and let folks know that it's poppin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 12:08 PM

There's a third education development. Besides the College of Art expanding/moving downtown (my understanding is it appears to be an expansion, moving only its grad program, preserving its old location for the remaining purposes near the Brooks, which makes sense if that's the case), the "doorstop" building by the Sterick and Autozone Park will become a Christian school of art (the Visible school).

This is a fantastic trend. It will create demand for businesses to meet the students' needs. And reinforce the need for the downtown area to always give its residents and visitors a vibrant energetic atmosphere to keep them there.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:53 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobbersaurus01 View Post
There's a third education development. Besides the College of Art expanding/moving downtown (my understanding is it appears to be an expansion, moving only its grad program, preserving its old location for the remaining purposes near the Brooks, which makes sense if that's the case), the "doorstop" building by the Sterick and Autozone Park will become a Christian school of art (the Visible school).

This is a fantastic trend. It will create demand for businesses to meet the students' needs. And reinforce the need for the downtown area to always give its residents and visitors a vibrant energetic atmosphere to keep them there.

hear, hear. i very much agree. if you go on line, you will be able to see the recommendations for memphis and why it is a concerted and organized effort to move things as they are now moving. is the visible school the glass building that once belonged to the chamber of commerce?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:22 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
kingchef, would you happen to know where online we could go? I've always been interested in Memphis and think it has a lot of potential. I'm an urban planning student so I'd be interested to see any web presence for downtown revitalization in Memphis.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobbersaurus01 View Post
Dubai and Hong Kong are incomparable b/c other nations are more interested in ego-stroking. Vegas is not a great example given that their economic struggles are partly because of their ego. Not something to emulate. America doesn't care about those things as much as it did before, and not as much as countries trying to get to and experience where we already have been. It's still a cool thing, and where convenient worth pursuing, but it has just been superceded in national priority by other things. Growth of towers in cities in other nations appears to be a national priority.

Memphis is more along the lines of cities like Austin, OKC, Tulsa, B'ham, Portland, etc. Cities that are trying to get to that next level, and, in some respects, the "size" of the skyline is perceived to be a reflection of the "size" of other bodily parts. But those cities must balance out the expense of that skyline versus investment in other aspects of a community that improve its quality of life. One thing that Memphis has been advanced in has been the street-level activity of its downtown areas after work hours. That can be preserved with towers that house residents instead of offices. One thing that Memphis (and StL) suffers from is the geographic location of its downtown versus its metro. If one wants downtown Memphis to once again be the center, then regional focus should be given to Arkansas to improve its economy and its participation in the metro circulation of traffic, trade, and services.

I for one would like to improve the diversity of our skyline, more so than the height. Our advantage is the historic collection of towers. Our problem is in the lack of modern quality towers. I think Trinity Tower would've really enhanced the skyline, even if it was a sub-30 story tower. I pray that idea will revive. Ideally, I would've liked to have seen Trinity, One Beale, and the hole built as 25+ towers. I don't care about height as much as I have before. I think that's more of an ego thing these days.

I just don't want an empty shell up there. If all one wants is an ego enhancement object, then build a huge observation tower like CN or Stratosphere. I think refocusing attention to growth and development of the Arkansas side of the metro will recalibrate the region's center back toward Midtown/downtown, and make building there more important. That would be a long-term goal. Short-term, just support downtown, shop and eat there and let folks know that it's poppin.
overall, i agree w/ you. i do get aggravated about the "large hotel" problem in downtown. i hear it over and over from family, friend, and foe that memphis needs desperately to invest in some large quality hotels. as i understand it, currently memphis needs an estimated 1200 rooms for the downtown market. the 11 story hotel will help, but money is out there to build a significant and impressive internationally known hotel---40-44 stories.

too, i think politics plays in so much of what arkansas does on the west bank. marion is taking off, but really gets little attention in the metro. to me, west memphis could get on the ball and the arkansas legislature could come up w/ good ideas that would certainly help arkansas, west memphis, and the memphis metro area---think gambling, think investment in viewing bridge from the west bank and the drainage basin. one of the main requests in the recent proposals for mud island was the desire for an elevated structure which would allow viewing of the skyline. there is talk in shuttles across to mud island, that is a viable option; however, it could be extended to cross the mississippi to elevated structures two to three hundred feet in which memphis could be viewed, as well as the surrounding area. in my view, some areas are forced to building mega skyscrapers. some of these places may think that such a building (s) could provide income for years to come by visitors who wish to go to 1000 or feet above their city. personally, i think it would take a long time to recover a significant amount of money through such a plan.

one thing i would love to see, and that i would probably be willing to help knock down, is that shack of a monstrosity situated just north of the bluffs. why are the powers that be not working on this standing trashdump. what an eyesore. nevertheless, on an ending positive note, i believe 2010 is going to be an amzing time for progressive and sensible building projects in the metro area. and, i think there will be some socks knocked off concerning some of the business announcements made later in the year. go memphis.

finally, i know it hurts so badly those who wish ill and hardship on memphis, its progress, its positive attention, its longevity. the naysayers have had control of this very forum for a good while. i think, for one, i am beginning to see that change. when i first stumbled on this site, i was absolutely shocked about the negative, mean, overstated comments about the metro. i think much of it happened because so many of us let it go unchallenged. i hope most of those days are behind. memphis has always had so much going for it, and it has so much more to do.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
Tell that to Dubai, Vegas, Manhattan, Miami, Austin, Hong Kong, etc. In Austin for example, the majority of the now impressive skyline was built in the last 8 years.
How many of those cities sit directly on top of a major fault line?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:49 PM

i could be wrong, nonetheless, i don't think memphis sits "directly" on top of the fault line. i believe new madrid has that distinction. too, if memphis were the only area in the world with a city near a major fault, i could understand the particular concern for the area; however, most of us know that the san andreas fault line is thought to be the next major problem for the united states, i believe ancorage, alaska, and new york city are also listed in a list of "biggesest concerns", along w/ seattle, washington. my bet is that those folk living on the east and gulf coast have much more to worry about being in the path of more category 4 and 5 hurricanes in the next few years before memphis is disrupted by a major earthquake. i only pray that none of it happens.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
hear, hear. i very much agree. if you go on line, you will be able to see the recommendations for memphis and why it is a concerted and organized effort to move things as they are now moving. is the visible school the glass building that once belonged to the chamber of commerce?
Yeah, an old bank building before that.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
i could be wrong, nonetheless, i don't think memphis sits "directly" on top of the fault line. i believe new madrid has that distinction. too, if memphis were the only area in the world with a city near a major fault, i could understand the particular concern for the area; however, most of us know that the san andreas fault line is thought to be the next major problem for the united states, i believe ancorage, alaska, and new york city are also listed in a list of "biggesest concerns", along w/ seattle, washington. my bet is that those folk living on the east and gulf coast have much more to worry about being in the path of more category 4 and 5 hurricanes in the next few years before memphis is disrupted by a major earthquake. i only pray that none of it happens.
Yeah, it's not the fault line alone that has been the issue. I think it's the fault line plus the sandy foundation. And in the last month, some folks I think either from Illinois or Missouri proposed that the New Madrid fault was, and I'm paraphrasing here, dead. This proposed theory was disputed by the folks at the U of M Earthquake Research Center. So, I don't know where to go with that. Someone perhaps trying to make a name for himself (and maybe not) speculates that this hubbub about the fault that seems to haunt a lot of our building decisions is paranoia, and someone else says that it's a valid concern. Either way, I remember concerns that IF a quake happened, because of the sandy foundation, the developments on Mud Island would be very vulnerable. I don't know if that's the case about "mainland" downtown, but I've heard something about it. I hope that's not true.

If it's sandy + quake-prone, that might be a difference from LA, Seattle, Tokyo, etc., which may not be as sandy.

Which monstrosity are you referring to? The old UP bank building?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:24 AM

497 posts, read 507,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingz View Post
As a visitor to Memphis, I never had the impression the city had a small skyline. After reading the replies, yes, I guess Memphis is lacking in "tall" buildings. I certainly would not compare downtown Memphis to Birmingham, even if they do have one tall building. You could put downtown Birmingham in downtown Memphis and have room left over for Louisville, too.

As Kingchef pointed out, the trend in corporate headquarters seems to be lower buildings in the suburbs. If I worked in a corporate headquarters, I would prefer that to commuting to downtown. I don't think we will see corporations building tall buildings downtown in Memphis or elsewhere. The tallest new building in the Nashville area is condominiums, started before the housing market and economy tanked. I think the building will be mostly empty for a while.
NOT TRUE!!! Go back and look at Birmingham skyline, then take a look at Memphis. Birmingham is clearly larger!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis