Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
It's obvious you missed the entire message that AA tries to give. The "higher power thing" that you called crap simply means that a recovering alcoholic has to find some sort of higher meaning or purpose in his or her life in order to acheive quality sobriety.
As far as your opinion that the only one who can turn your life around is you, well, AA also has a saying about that: "If YOU know all the answers, then who was it that got you here into AA in th first place?"
The higher power does not have to be God, although many people choose that. For example, my higher power was simply a picture in my mind's eye of the better life that I wanted to have in sobriety.
Of course the success rate of AA is bad; by their own admission, only about one out of ten newcomers will still be sober one year later. But see, the succsss rate of any type of recovery program is poor, which is merely a testament to the pernicous strength of addiction, rather than to the failings of the particular progra.
AA has by far, far, and away been the most successful program for recovering alcoholics. No other type of treatment even comes close.
Lastly, AA in no way conveys the message that it's OK to go out and drink and then you can "repent" and come back as often as you like. Rather, AA members try to share their stories of the hell of their addictions in order to help other, and then instead of judging or criticising, openly welcome a member back who has relapsed. Acceptance is far different than condoning.
You would probably do well to learn more about AA and the disease of alcoholism before you post any more messages criticising the wonderful brotherhood of Alcoholics Anonymous. You juvenile indictment of AA, along with your preposterous notion that someone mired in addiction can get out of it himself and enjoy quality sobriety smacks of ignorance.
Peace.
I am not sure why I talk to someone so rude and misunderstanding, but , here goes. First , I went to A.A. because it was court ordered, 6 months. I stayed for a year , partly so I could keep drinking.... The day I made the pact with myself to stop , was the day I stopped going to A.A. period.
I saw with my own eyes and ears what was going on , and , I saw that for a lot of people it was not working. I am just saying that there are other ways that may work better, A.A is not always the answer ( maybe for you it is, if so , good for you I hope its helping you become sober). One of the big factors I saw that year was environment , many would have had better success if they changed their lifestyle and friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I am not sure why I talk to someone so rude and misunderstanding, but , here goes. First , I went to A.A. because it was court ordered, 6 months. I stayed for a year , partly so I could keep drinking.... The day I made the pact with myself to stop , was the day I stopped going to A.A. period.
I saw with my own eyes and ears what was going on , and , I saw that for a lot of people it was not working. I am just saying that there are other ways that may work better, A.A is not always the answer ( maybe for you it is, if so , good for you I hope its helping you become sober). One of the big factors I saw that year was environment , many would have had better success if they changed their lifestyle and friends.
You must of missed the meetings that served them jelly donuts.
A lot of my friends made it at those meetings and been sober for a couple decades or more. (Maybe there is some magic ingredient in them jellies) Any program that helps any REALalcoholic stop drinking and find recovery is good in my book. Glad you are sober and that you have realized that life is pretty darn good without alcohol.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:07 PM

11 posts, read 18,638 times
When you feel like drinking, make yourself stay sober at least until you get out of a meeting that night. By the end of the meeting, the craving may have passed. Eventually, you won't even have cravings anymore.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
You must of missed the meetings that served them jelly donuts.
A lot of my friends made it at those meetings and been sober for a couple decades or more. (Maybe there is some magic ingredient in them jellies) Any program that helps any REALalcoholic stop drinking and find recovery is good in my book. Glad you are sober and that you have realized that life is pretty darn good without alcohol.
I have been told that some of the A.A. chapters run things a little different. Some are closed to the public and some only cater to Bikers, etc..... Yes its been 9 years, not a drop ! I guess A.A. was a crutch for me, whether I was a true alcoholic or not. So, in that regard , I must agree, some people have been helped by A.A. programs. For me it was like chasing windmills, my speeches at the meetings were not always met with good regard. Some of the folks there were cross addicted, they were all over the place in reality. I was beating a dead horse most of the time, but there were some moments once in a while that gave me pride, just a little.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:48 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I have been told that some of the A.A. chapters run things a little different. Some are closed to the public and some only cater to Bikers, etc..... Yes its been 9 years, not a drop ! I guess A.A. was a crutch for me, whether I was a true alcoholic or not. So, in that regard , I must agree, some people have been helped by A.A. programs. For me it was like chasing windmills, my speeches at the meetings were not always met with good regard. Some of the folks there were cross addicted, they were all over the place in reality. I was beating a dead horse most of the time, but there were some moments once in a while that gave me pride, just a little.
Your honesty in this post is awesome. I have come across a few "Hard Drinkers" who went to AA for months or even several years and never drank again. They got what they needed to stop drinking, so they definitely gained insights. With 9 years and the awareness and honesty you exhibit you may be a hard drinker since you seem to have gotten on with life without booze. My father did it for over 40 years. I could not-I still need the support and I work the 12 Steps-to me its a twofold program. The reality is you are the only person who has the ability to determine if you are a real alcoholic or a hard drinker.
I was never a good "speaker" either but the meetings I went to were populated with very good people and I became friends. Your point about changing the people you hang around with is crucial. When I was a "barfly" I attracted barflies. When I was a sober alcoholics, I attracted sober AA's.
It has been a pleasure talking with you and I wish you continued sobriety in all your future years.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,447 times
[FONT=&quot]Alcohol treatment centers must arrange for extended care program for the addicts in recovery so that they can give up their nasty habits completely.[/FONT]

Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
Do not fear the substance or say "I will never touch another drop". Just understand that drinking is a pleasure and you never started doing it in order to harm your self..Once you notice that it is harming you- then you put it down. It is a toxin..a poison ...eventually the high lessens and the dose has to be increased..personally I find that I do not really get much out if it anymore.

But like all habits they wear out and wear you out along the way..Sometimes I wonder why I bother..Keep thinking that it is like it used to be..and there will be the same old pleasure..it's wishful thinking..all substances lose their charm..and you will come to the realization that - you are not getting any thing in return from the poisoning - Try to have sober days- never drink with a hang over...eventually you might just lose interest.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Do not fear the substance or say "I will never touch another drop". Just understand that drinking is a pleasure and you never started doing it in order to harm your self..Once you notice that it is harming you- then you put it down. It is a toxin..a poison ...eventually the high lessens and the dose has to be increased..personally I find that I do not really get much out if it anymore.

But like all habits they wear out and wear you out along the way..Sometimes I wonder why I bother..Keep thinking that it is like it used to be..and there will be the same old pleasure..it's wishful thinking..all substances lose their charm..and you will come to the realization that - you are not getting any thing in return from the poisoning - Try to have sober days- never drink with a hang over...eventually you might just lose interest.
Drinking is a depressant , not a pleasure. Same goes for smoking, it's a health killer, plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health