Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:14 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
How do you handle such situations. What do you say when you are calling them out, and how do they usually react?

I have found that the rude people I have confronted are usually in denial and just become defensive when I call them out on it...
I just say to them "why are you being so rude"? They deny it so I keep telling them that you may not think you are being rude but others see it that way. I tell them if they are going to be rude then don't bother talking to me unitl they can learn how to talk nice to me. I don't care what the reason for the rudeness is it's called showing good manners. I have been rude myself but I always admit I was wrong and apologize for it and try to do better. There are people who think the sun rises and sets on them, that they are not rude, that they don't have any problems and it's everyone else and not them. I had a co-worker like that. If you called her out on something especially a mistake she would just get rude and hostile. She would deny her mistakes and her rudeness. She would then turn it around and say you were being rude to her. I finally said to someone don't bother because you are not going to win. If a person is being rude tell them and just walk away. She's even been nasty and rude to people above her. I truly believe that people who are rude are just plain miserable and like to vent their misery onto others. JMO. I don't work in that office anymore (thank god) but I still talk to one co-worker and he told me she won employee of the year . She may be good at her job but her people skills need alot of work. I was even told by clients that they did not want to deal with her because of her rudeness. I think she is/was the reason I was let go in 2010 even though my boss swore up and down it was due to the economy. oh and as employee of the year they give you $1,000. Since I was let go they hired 2 people. Pisses me off because I was well liked by my clients and they were mad that they had to deal with her when I was let go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 08:20 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Many years in customer service taught me the ability to suck it up and soften things. I agree that's the best way with someone who's just having a bad day. Why increase the amount of anger in the world? Also agree there's a point beyond which you need to speak up about it. In the case of the OP, the attitude seems to be, yeah I know I'm being a ***** , what of it? That's just how I am. Something chronic like that, I would have to call them out on it, but calmly.
Where is the OP anyway.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:18 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I just say to them "why are you being so rude"? They deny it so I keep telling them that you may not think you are being rude but others see it that way. I tell them if they are going to be rude then don't bother talking to me unitl they can learn how to talk nice to me. I don't care what the reason for the rudeness is it's called showing good manners. I have been rude myself but I always admit I was wrong and apologize for it and try to do better. There are people who think the sun rises and sets on them, that they are not rude, that they don't have any problems and it's everyone else and not them. I had a co-worker like that. If you called her out on something especially a mistake she would just get rude and hostile. She would deny her mistakes and her rudeness. She would then turn it around and say you were being rude to her. I finally said to someone don't bother because you are not going to win. If a person is being rude tell them and just walk away. She's even been nasty and rude to people above her. I truly believe that people who are rude are just plain miserable and like to vent their misery onto others. JMO. I don't work in that office anymore (thank god) but I still talk to one co-worker and he told me she won employee of the year . She may be good at her job but her people skills need alot of work. I was even told by clients that they did not want to deal with her because of her rudeness. I think she is/was the reason I was let go in 2010 even though my boss swore up and down it was due to the economy. oh and as employee of the year they give you $1,000. Since I was let go they hired 2 people. Pisses me off because I was well liked by my clients and they were mad that they had to deal with her when I was let go.
I have to ask what kind of work she did that she could get employee of the year while being rude. Research scientist? Number cruncher? Something that requires no people skills, I suppose.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:49 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I have to ask what kind of work she did that she could get employee of the year while being rude. Research scientist? Number cruncher? Something that requires no people skills, I suppose.
Customer service for an insurance office. She was mostly rude to fellow co-workers but on occasion to customers if they did not like what she had to say. She may have gotten better since I left, who knows.I kniow they moved her desk near the bosses office after I left so she may have toned it down a bit.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:13 PM

30 posts, read 46,098 times
I think most sources tell people to suck it up, as rude people as they are.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:36 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indalicious View Post
I find I am rude sometimes, should people just suck it up and get over it?
Well, personally I am an advocate of the death penalty for rude people. They're just no damn good and never will be. Something in their brains that can't be fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health