Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 09:10 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
It's possible.....

Halitophobia (delusion halitosis)
Some one quarter of the patients seeking professional advice on bad breath suffer from a highly exaggerated concern of having bad breath, known as halitophobia, delusional halitosis, or as a manifestation of Olfactory Reference Syndrome. These patients are sure that they have bad breath, although many have not asked anyone for an objective opinion. Halitophobia may severely affect the lives of some 0.5–1.0% of the adult population.[21]

Halitosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That same article also mentions that chewing gum helps with bad breath because it helps wash away the bacteria responsible for it.

Quote:
Chewing gum: Since dry-mouth can increase bacterial buildup and cause or worsen bad breath, chewing sugarless gum can help with the production of saliva, and thereby help to reduce bad breath. Chewing may help particularly when the mouth is dry, or when one cannot perform oral hygiene procedures after meals (especially those meals rich in protein). This aids in provision of saliva, which washes away oral bacteria, has antibacterial properties and promotes mechanical activity which helps cleanse the mouth. Some chewing gums contain special anti-odor ingredients. Chewing on fennel seeds, cinnamon sticks, mastic gum, or fresh parsley are common folk remedies.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
You say you had throat surgery. What exactly did you have done? Maybe they left a sponge in there or something.

There must be a reason for this problem. Don't give up.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:34 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I really think you need to talk to some other people about this. What does your family say? Have you asked them flat-out if you have bad breath? Really...everyone seems to deny it, yet you think you have it. Sounds pretty weird.
This is what I was thinking, OP (That, and what Yzette said about tonsil stones, but you already said that you don't have those.) You said that you started covering your mouth when you noticed other people covering theirs and moving away from you. Is it possible that maybe they were doing this because they themselves were self-conscious and didn't want you to think that they had bad breath? You might be torturing yourself needlessly over a problem that doesn't exist.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:58 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,539 times
Tonsil stones create the worst breath imaginable. I knew a girl who had them a few years back, and her breath smelled like the skin in the folds of Michael Moore's back fat, sprinkled with Hillary Clinton's taint. She finally had her tonsils removed and as far as I know, that solved the problem.

However, you say your tonsils are fine. I'm no M.D., but if I had to guess, I would venture that your thyroid issue could be to blame -- if you really have bad breath at all, which has been called into question by many others including your doctors. Hormones are finicky things, and even small imbalances can cause a wide gamut of ill effects from B.O. to E.D. If you're struck out with dentists and internists, why not find the best endocrinologist in your area and see what he or she has to say?

What part of the country do you live in? If you're anywhere near West Palm Beach, I would be willing to smell your breath and give you an honest assessment. I know I don't know you, but one of the ways I enjoy "giving back" to society is by shooting straight with people who need to hear the truth. You claim others tell you that your breath is fine just to make you feel better or get you out of their hair. That won't be an issue with me. If you're not nearby, I'm sure you could find SOMEONE like me in your area -- possibly from this board -- who would extend the same offer.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 5,396 times
Default Feel your pain

I also refuse to talk when people are around me... I use sign and write notes! I hate talking!!! It makes me so depressed! Reading your story reminds me so much of my own... For my birthday my friends gave me a cake that stated "***** Talk" on it cause I refuse to unless we are on the phone... I have a male friend, but I refuse to go out on dates with, just snuggle and watch TV and I pretend to fall asleep just so I don't have to talk... He lives out of town so we only see each other every other weekend. I would never date a man that lives locally. I pretend I'm shy around other people. I rather not talk after lunch. I have also considered suicide... But I have a child! Seen every doctor & dentist in my state. Have had several procedures related to ENT and Gastro stuff. I've bought everything off the internet... I still use the Tung brush and the stuff that comes with it... I hate myself and also desire to be normal!!!

Old 11-08-2012, 02:29 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,877 times
Take a look at this website, it may give you some information and possible remedies that will work for you. Don't be afraid to post there, people are kind and helpful. Best of Luck.

Bad Breath (Halitosis) Remedies

Old 04-08-2013, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,235 times
hi there , im sorry you got all the usual lack of understanding comments from people . They just don't get it do they . I to suffer from what ur going through , i can relate to all of it . It's almost ruined my life , all the things that people take for granted i can't do . My teeth arnt great but i do brush them after every meal , mouth wash , dentist trips the whole 9 . It started for me about 8 years ago when a friend said my breath stank of **** , ever since it's ruled my life . People sniff and hold their nose when i talk to them , they turn away etc , it soul destroying , especially when ive always been a people person ,very outgoing , very loud and bubbly . I have asked lots of people close to me if it is a problem and they always say no , they have never noticed anything , i know they are lying . Although my teeth aint great my dentist assures me there is nothing wrong that would cause bad breath . I to have considered suicide , to some people this seems OTT , whats the point living if you can't live . I want to get all my teeth removed and have implants but 1 . its expensive and 2. it may not help the problem . Anyways i hope you have found a resolve or have learned to live with it . I havnt yet , ive met a potential partner on line who wants me to go visit them , how the f*** can i like this ??? all i want to do is live normal , have a gf , have kids etc . Apart from this im happy with my body but i share the same thinking as you , who wants to be close and intermate with someone whos breath stinks ?? no one does . What i cant work out is i see people with vile teeth compared to mine and have spoke to them and there breath doesnt smell and ive seen ppl with amazing teeth and breath that made even me recoil . Something needs to change very quickly cos i can't go on like this !!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April2020 View Post
To make matters worst, they act as though it's all in my head. But trust me, I am not imagining how people react to my bad breath. It's not all in my head!!

I need to find a new dentist, primary care physician, ENT and GI doc ASAP.
I am not trying to be mean when I say this and I don't care for docs who leave you hanging, but if your breath is as bad as you say it is, then shouldn't the docs be able to smell that too? I think there is more to this story and maybe you have misread people's body language or maybe you did have bad breath once and someone turned away and you think it's a permanent condition when it may not be. Lord knows if I go a week without flossing folks will be walking away from me too. Then I floss and all is well.

I'm gently suggesting in the nicest way that you see a therapist if only for a second opinion on your breath, and they can certainly help with social problems. Please don't dismiss this as a possible solution as we are all trying to help and this is one possibility in the puzzle. Do the docs confirm that you have bb or do they deny it? If they're denying it then chances are that you don't because they are professionals and would tell you the truth about this.

Also, assuming this is real and if the gluten free thing is working for you then you could have pathogenic gut bacteria causing it and probiotics may help with that. It will take time though as it can't be resolved overnight.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:08 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,059,508 times
Thread started in January 2012.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:20 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Thread started in January 2012.
Oops, well I don't worry about that too much b/c you never know who could come on here with the same problem or something similar. They may just be lurking or found us thru a web search and something in here may be just what they needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.