Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:51 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,625,827 times

Advertisements

Has anyone come across someone like this?. Last year I dated a guy who claimed to own several tv and radio stations, have options of living in the Virgin Islands, Caymans or NYC, and that he was going to be "the next ted turner"... (this later turned out to not be true, by any means)

of course people embellish when dating but this exceeded all realms of normalcy. He claimed he "could calm homself down" by taking his dogs muscle relaxant, so had no problem with being manic...

What if any have others experienced? If he didnt take it so seriously it would be different, this guy was obsessed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,417,540 times
I knew a guy who would talk about how awesome his kids were, he was quite a talker...he had owned a business, and sold it, he drove an expensive (leased) car, lived in a rat hole apt, was always talking about some "new" score he made in the stock market. He was so full of himself. He acted like he was Donald Trump....not. I could not stand his BS, which I had to listen to for years, because he dated my psycho Mom, who was enthralled with this major loser.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:14 PM

20,971 posts, read 28,508,718 times
My friend dated a guy who told us that one of his grandfathers built the Hindenburg and that he had an uncle who was a pirate. LOL, when my dad heard this he told the guy he was FOS and laughed at him.The guy actually bowed his head and frowned then looked up and said" but it's true"

Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I knew a guy who would talk about how awesome his kids were, he was quite a talker...he had owned a business, and sold it, he drove an expensive (leased) car, lived in a rat hole apt, was always talking about some "new" score he made in the stock market. He was so full of himself. He acted like he was Donald Trump....not. I could not stand his BS, which I had to listen to for years, because he dated my psycho Mom, who was enthralled with this major loser.
lol.. yes.

This one lived above a garage. But called it a carriage house. 400 a month qualifies as a rat hole.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:58 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,829,271 times
OMG yes, I can tell stories all night about this one--another symptom of a personality disorder and if I went on a date with someone that talked like this I'd run far and fast. Or introduce him to my sis so they could try to out-talk each other.

Sis is a total loser--has never had a job she could actually list on a resume. I'm not really sure if she graduated college--she said she did but who can believe anything she says? While she was taking classes in college she started talking about getting her PhD in history and talked non-stop about it for days. She was more enthralled with the idea that she'd have her PhD than about history itself from what I could tell and I seemed to know more about it. Then one evening on the last night of her visit at my house, she was sitting there thinking deeply I'm sure and she looked up and me and said, "I always thought you'd be the first one in our family to get your PhD!" I wanted to die laughing b/c she was nowhere even close to having a bachelors, much less a PhD.

Now at 47, she is trying to enter the world of comedy and has done a few little routines at open mike nights and has gotten a few laughs, but frankly she's not all that funny, mainly b/c she doesn't really relate to human beings, but she's convinced that she'll get famous.

For awhile, she was going to start a sports memorabilia museum or bar and actually went around to a bunch of games getting baseballs and footballs autographed but got arrested one night for sexually harassing a football team and I don't know if that's why she quit doing that or if she just got bored, but it never materialized. She told me that she has thousands of dollars worth of sports memorabilia stored up but has a $50K debt that she refuses to pay and she could never part with her balls anyway.

Well like I said, I could go on all night, but surely I win this one? Or my sis I mean?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,417,540 times
My Father was very much like this, he always talked about these "plans" to be rich. He acted like he was smarter than everyone else by using big words, no one knew the meaning to. Basically, all he did was live with his Mother, and smoke pot all day. He sometimes worked odd jobs, always alluded to the fact that he had this secret life as a solider of fortune, working undercover in South America. But he never went anywhere....apparently they called him for his "expertise". He did go to Vietnam....for less than a year, came home shot...but managed to talk about his "war experiences" like it was 20 years...he had more stories...who knew what was true?! Every problem in his life was due to "Vietnam"...okay, yes it was bad, but you can't blame doing very bad things to "PTSD". At some point, take responsibilty.

He acted like he was better than everyone. He was smarter than everyone. He put everyone down.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:27 PM

32,981 posts, read 36,491,976 times
Yes, I've met a few of the crazies; been sucked in by a few, too. Now I just stay far, far away from them.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:16 AM

202 posts, read 473,476 times
People learn this behavior early. I remember in high school, some guys always had stories about some new muscle car they had on order, but it never arrived. For some reason these people don't get "called on the carpet". Almost no one comes right out and tells them that they lied. So they just continue to to get away with b sing their way through life. Not telling the truth is lying and we should not let people get away with it.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,396,872 times
The guy I knew that was very out of touch will the real world in this way was later found to be bipolar.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
OMG yes, I can tell stories all night about this one--another symptom of a personality disorder and if I went on a date with someone that talked like this I'd run far and fast. Or introduce him to my sis so they could try to out-talk each other.

Sis is a total loser--has never had a job she could actually list on a resume. I'm not really sure if she graduated college--she said she did but who can believe anything she says? While she was taking classes in college she started talking about getting her PhD in history and talked non-stop about it for days. She was more enthralled with the idea that she'd have her PhD than about history itself from what I could tell and I seemed to know more about it. Then one evening on the last night of her visit at my house, she was sitting there thinking deeply I'm sure and she looked up and me and said, "I always thought you'd be the first one in our family to get your PhD!" I wanted to die laughing b/c she was nowhere even close to having a bachelors, much less a PhD.

Now at 47, she is trying to enter the world of comedy and has done a few little routines at open mike nights and has gotten a few laughs, but frankly she's not all that funny, mainly b/c she doesn't really relate to human beings, but she's convinced that she'll get famous.

For awhile, she was going to start a sports memorabilia museum or bar and actually went around to a bunch of games getting baseballs and footballs autographed but got arrested one night for sexually harassing a football team and I don't know if that's why she quit doing that or if she just got bored, but it never materialized. She told me that she has thousands of dollars worth of sports memorabilia stored up but has a $50K debt that she refuses to pay and she could never part with her balls anyway.

Well like I said, I could go on all night, but surely I win this one? Or my sis I mean?
wow, that is truly bizarre...keep stories coming, I guess its more common than we hear about.

jasper that story abt your Moms ex bf is too funny. What a jerk...and yes this was similar to this "entrepreneur" I met. They lease expensive cars but live in a trashy apt..lol I guess to "fool the world". unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health