Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 03:30 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I think sleeping pills are addictive. I have used them for years but would like to stop using them. The reason for taking the pills (death in the family), was long ago, but I am now addicted to them. I have tried many times to stop using them but have always gone back because I could not fall asleep without them. I have reduced by dozes. What can I do?
I have been using Ambien for about 20 years off and on. I started using Ambien when I was doing a lot of international travel and found I couldn't get up at midnight and go to sleep at 5pm in many countries. So I needed a sleep aid to cope.

I saw a sleep therapist last year and he said the only way to break the addiction is to stop taking Ambien or any other sleep aid for at least three weeks, which I did. Didn't get much sleep but I was still thinking about Ambien when I couldn't get to sleep after the three weeks.

Present day.... I found that I feel better not taking anything and being tired rather than deal with the side effects of Ambien. For me, headaches and feeling rather grouchy. I am in a position where I don't have to work and can take naps if I need to during the day.

My long term plan is to wean myself completely off any sleep aids and deal with the tiredness, which eventually will permit me to sleep through the night.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 06:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,373 times
I have been taking sleeping pills for 10+ years. I am ready to QUIT, tried to take less, and was very sick, (up) and finally just gave in.... I need help with this withdrawal. I have read and read, to slowing lower the dose. I've also read to quit cold turkey. I just want my life before sleeping pills back.
I am very active and should go to bed tired, but alas, the pill is the only way to fall a sleep.

HELP!!

Old 08-08-2017, 05:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
In my opinion all you can do is slowly reduce the dose and deal with the problems of lying awake when you wish you were asleep (I call it watching the inside of my eyelids) and deal with being tired during the day, take naps if you get really tired. There is no way to sugar coat this. I can't imagine getting off sleeping aids without having to deal with a protracted period of readjustment and I'm pretty sure it won't be much fun.

I would imagine reducing the dose over a period of several weeks. And no, I have no idea if there would be a better way or how long the ramping down period should be.

I'm a senior citizen and my doctor has told me that as you get older you sleep less, and many find it difficult to get a good night's sleep. If you too are old then you may have to accept that it's either deal with less than optimum sleep on a permanent basis or take the drugs.

Each person has to make their own decision. Some will succeed, some will fail.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,373 times
I am not too old, 63. I am very active, and try to really work my self tired. I guess, I will start with the lowering of the dose, and the up all night.. truth is, I am taking the pills.... so, really guess I am there already with or with out the pills.
Thanks for reaching out.... I hope you are well, and also, sleep well... I am jealous if you do.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:41 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicluth View Post
I am not too old, 63. I am very active, and try to really work my self tired. I guess, I will start with the lowering of the dose, and the up all night.. truth is, I am taking the pills.... so, really guess I am there already with or with out the pills.
Thanks for reaching out.... I hope you are well, and also, sleep well... I am jealous if you do.
I am 79 and began to have sleep issues maybe 10 yrs ago, I worked long and hard to come up with a sleep remedy for me, I DID NOT WANT TO GO THE DRUG ROUTE, and I have my sleep remedy in the Alt Med here, title is That Elusive Sleep. What may have caused my issues is what I'm told is Fibro, I was given that dx back years ago.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:59 AM

I have another suggestion that may help, particularly if your problem is staying asleep (waking up middle of night) rather than not being able to go to sleep at your desired time.

If the former, just go to sleep, and when you wake up in the middle of the night take a partial dose which may help you complete your night's sleep. This will help you take less medication and may make it easier to eventually quit entirely.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:42 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
For those trying to get off sleeping pills, why are you trying. Are they not working for you, having side effects etc etc.

I've been taking my sleep combo for some yrs now and they give me pretty good sleep, and dreams, and I like my dreams. Last night's were really active. Dreams are something else, can be so convoluted and last night's had so many different friends in them.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:40 PM

Who wants to be dependent on drugs for the rest of their life? I can understand requiring anti-hypertensives permanently (due to high blood pressure), but it should be possible for most healthy people to not require sleeping aids.

I think it quite reasonable that every person would desire to be on as few medications as possible, to save the doctor visits and need for getting prescriptions, to avoid the cost of prescriptions, and to avoid the hassle of remembering to take more pills.

Additionally, many if not most prescription sleeping aids (or all?) carry a warning to not mix with alcohol. Some people wish to consume alcohol. It's not wise to mix alcohol and sleeping aids.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:57 AM

9 posts, read 8,214 times
Unhappy Wow

Going cold turkey. out of pills... tonight's the night

Old 02-11-2018, 08:59 AM

9 posts, read 8,214 times
Unhappy yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
For those trying to get off sleeping pills, why are you trying. Are they not working for you, having side effects etc etc.

I've been taking my sleep combo for some yrs now and they give me pretty good sleep, and dreams, and I like my dreams. Last night's were really active. Dreams are something else, can be so convoluted and last night's had so many different friends in them.
I don't have dreams with sleeping pills. I miss them. Will go cold turkey tonight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health