Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 03:36 PM

31 posts, read 37,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
-Yes
-Not anymore
-I use to do 5 a day, now maybe a couple a week
-No, alcohol gives me heart burn and kinda taste like medicine heh

My goal in life was.. Get a job in a city I like, work work, find a boyfriend .love love.. Then get married..work work.. Then move outside the city buy a house have kids and love and work . Now I don't know my goals? I no longer want to get married or have kids.. Kinda over it now so just hoping to die young and try better in the next life

Lol your goals sound like mine. I'd like to find a "hometown" to work in, get married, start a family, and build a house at. Still haven't found it. I'd like to give marriage a try as well. Do I have these things yet? No. But I feel like I am working towards them.

How did you do in College? How did you feel?

Can I suggest you start going for a walk everyday? Even better if you have a dog. I find that exercise like that has really burned off my energy and keeps me from having panic attacks, yet also makes me feel like I have accomplished something each day. Just a simple 10 minute walk.

Also, try going out, even if it's just for that walk. I have no money but just going out with my parents to get the groceries helps ease my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogers_Grant View Post
Lol your goals sound like mine. I'd like to find a "hometown" to work in, get married, start a family, and build a house at. Still haven't found it. I'd like to give marriage a try as well. Do I have these things yet? No. But I feel like I am working towards them.

How did you do in College? How did you feel?

Can I suggest you start going for a walk everyday? Even better if you have a dog. I find that exercise like that has really burned off my energy and keeps me from having panic attacks, yet also makes me feel like I have accomplished something each day. Just a simple 10 minute walk.

Also, try going out, even if it's just for that walk. I have no money but just going out with my parents to get the groceries helps ease my mind.
I found mines. NYC was my city (I use to live there) jersey city/Hoboken was my town to settle down in. I loved it there. But **** happens. I'd love a dog but can't afford one. Exercise makes you feel better because it increases your serontin . College was just me working my way to get a good job after wards I graduated early . I mostly study. If I knew I would be nothing I woulda party and did adderall like everyone else.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I found mines. NYC was my city (I use to live there) jersey city/Hoboken was my town to settle down in. I loved it there. But **** happens. I'd love a dog but can't afford one. Exercise makes you feel better because it increases your serontin . College was just me working my way to get a good job after wards I graduated early . I mostly study. If I knew I would be nothing I woulda party and did adderall like everyone else.

So then you have a goal to move and live in NYC. And you agree that exercise is a positive thing to do.

So let me ask you something.
In college did you feel like "somebody," like a person of value?
And now that you are unemployed you think you are "nothing?"

What has changed about you?

Do you have any regrets about college?

I feel like I could have gone to way more parties, made way more friends, and hooked up with more women. But I didn't live the college life that everyone sees on tv. Sometimes I feel like I missed out on that because I was too busy studying and writing papers. My anxiety and depression also made me scared to develop any deep friendships/relationships.

But at the same time, I often feel thankful for it because my anxiety kept me from doing drugs, getting an STD/pregnancy, getting arrrested, etc.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:53 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogers_Grant View Post
So then you have a goal to move and live in NYC. And you agree that exercise is a positive thing to do.

So let me ask you something.
In college did you feel like "somebody," like a person of value?
And now that you are unemployed you think you are "nothing?"

What has changed about you?

Do you have any regrets about college?

I feel like I could have gone to way more parties, made way more friends, and hooked up with more women. But I didn't live the college life that everyone sees on tv. Sometimes I feel like I missed out on that because I was too busy studying and writing papers. My anxiety and depression also made me scared to develop any deep friendships/relationships.

But at the same time, I often feel thankful for it because my anxiety kept me from doing drugs, getting an STD/pregnancy, getting arrrested, etc.
had a goal.. of course i'd love to go back, but its a bit unrealistic if i can't even get out of this hole..unless i win the lottery

in college, i was more focus on my future self then whether i was a person or not, i was trying to get to my goal of adulthood

the difference between me now and me then is.. i had hope then, didn't matter if things were going bad because there was going to be a better tomorrow, the future... now i no longer see that... i feel trapped...because of the "the longer you are unemployed, the less likely you will get a job, the more behind you be by your peers who were able to get work first" system it feels i'll always be behind now..if this was say 1990s i probably could say "f it, i'm going to find a job and move on, i've wasted 3 years but someone is going to hire me or i'm gona do a task like going to school or saving and it is more than likely going to work out" but now feels like i'm drowning

its embarrassing to see people from the past and have nothing to say because the first they ask you is what are you doing now, when you were 5th in your class, got a full ride scholarship (minus food and board) and was always thought as the smart logical one. When your parents lie to their friends about your success because their ashamed that you are doing nothing now

Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
had a goal.. of course i'd love to go back, but its a bit unrealistic if i can't even get out of this hole..unless i win the lottery

in college, i was more focus on my future self then whether i was a person or not, i was trying to get to my goal of adulthood

the difference between me now and me then is.. i had hope then, didn't matter if things were going bad because there was going to be a better tomorrow, the future... now i no longer see that... i feel trapped...because of the "the longer you are unemployed, the less likely you will get a job, the more behind you be by your peers who were able to get work first" system it feels i'll always be behind now..if this was say 1990s i probably could say "f it, i'm going to find a job and move on, i've wasted 3 years but someone is going to hire me or i'm gona do a task like going to school or saving and it is more than likely going to work out" but now feels like i'm drowning

its embarrassing to see people from the past and have nothing to say because the first they ask you is what are you doing now, when you were 5th in your class, got a full ride scholarship (minus food and board) and was always thought as the smart logical one. When your parents lie to their friends about your success because their ashamed that you are doing nothing now
Ugh that's the worst. Unemployment really takes a toll, especially when you feel like you did everything right, played by the rules, and worked your butt off. I remember feeling sooo slighted by the economy/where I lived.

It's still possible to move back to NYC. Do you think you will never have a job again?
Do you have any friends in other states/cities that you could use to get your feet wet (move)?

I wouldn't worry about what all your "friends" are up to and how far they have progressed in life. That will always be out of your hands. However, I would recommend that you have a plan/list of all the things you need to do to get to where you want to be in life. That way, once you finally do get a job you can jump right in and not be as far behind as you think you are.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:15 PM

260 posts, read 428,192 times
Quote:
Is this the right place for this? I don't know. Anyways. I feel maybe I shouldn't be here. I don't make a very good adult. I'm a bit caught in a place between adult and child, because after college I still haven't found work. I'm not very good at anything, at least not good enough for it to matter. Everything I try seems to go wrong. I've lost most of my friends, as they have gone on to be important people, but I know thats my fault mostly, heh "misfortune shows those who aren't friends" a wise man once said. I'm a waste on society and a drain on my parents. Maybe everyone would be better off if I disappeared. People say things will get better, but..what if they never get better?
Did I write this post in my sleep and publish it as a different user? I'm in that exact same position right now, and sometimes I think the same exact thoughts. Transitions suck, especially when you have nowhere to "transition" to. On my other post I wrote that I seriously considered living in the woods, because there at least I might be left alone and not compared to someone "important." I will keep up with your post and hope that things get better from you. Please trust me, you're not alone, because I'm dealing with the same position and thoughts as you. Also, I agree with volunteering. Jobs are almost impossible to get, so whatever keeps you active, should be better than nothing.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:02 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default No, I don't think you should

Quote:
Is this the right place for this? I don't know. Anyways. I feel maybe I shouldn't be here. I don't make a very good adult. I'm a bit caught in a place between adult and child, because after college I still haven't found work. I'm not very good at anything, at least not good enough for it to matter. Everything I try seems to go wrong. I've lost most of my friends, as they have gone on to be important people, but I know thats my fault mostly, heh "misfortune shows those who aren't friends" a wise man once said. I'm a waste on society and a drain on my parents. Maybe everyone would be better off if I disappeared. People say things will get better, but..what if they never get better?
Why defeat yourself before you give life a chance to unfold? Why the low self-esteem? Why haven't you given more effort to finding your passion? There is much that YOU can still do to create your own reality.

Light a candle. Don't curse the darkness.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,838,435 times
L'Artiste seems to me to be a moniker that denotes more than you are letting people know about you. Maybe it is a latent ability, or a talent you need to capitalize on. Maybe you have a calling in life you have yet to realize, or are too timid to expound on. Reading your posts, and looking at your bio, I feel that you are selling yourself short on ability. I can see determination in your eyes. You haven't failed, you are just confused for the moment. It most likely is circumstance that has put you in the position you are in now, and circumstance can be changed sometimes a lot easier than we can change ourselves. This life isn't always easy, and sometimes can be brutal, but there is good in it, as well. Before you give up, take time to examine yourself, inwardly. Gather your strengths, and dispose of your weaknesses, and try to move on, and change your life in personal ways. It can be done. I'm sure there are many who have succeeded in doing it, and made their circumstance so much better. One never realizes their potential until they feel they have none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health