Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:12 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,795 times

Advertisements

I believe that some people are naturally happy and for others happiness takes effort. I truly wish I had the ability but the reality is I have to plan for happiness in the same manner I plan to be successful in fulfilling a responsibility. Because it's so easy to become comfortable in discontent, your subconscious may perceive uncomfort in being in a happy place.

Stop worrying and start living.... Easier said than done for many....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 01:10 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
[quote=jameshardin;33168927]Were we able to help?[/QUOT

I don't know if anyone really can help but me. I am ready to check out Im bored on this planet and hope the next life is better. Thanks

Old 01-26-2014, 03:26 PM

12 posts, read 13,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Very true.
You have to account for every thought that you think, every word that you utter and every deed that you do. Negativity reinforces you subconscious mind in that direction assuring that you will have more negative experiences.
Why think sad/unhappy thoughts when you can just as easily think happy thoughts. Of course there are always problems to solve, bills to pay; so just do it and get it over with and move on to something more pleasant. You upset yourself with how you think about things. Pay attention to how you do that. You likely make a picture of unpleasantness and then embellish upon it and repeat until you have yourself really worked up.
Accounting for every thought, word and deed becomes extremely stressful whether the thoughts are positive or negative. I think this is a big problem in society, there's actually a lot of pressure to be positive to the extreme. positive all the time, and if you are not, you are ostracized. Look at all the self-help books out there - how many do we need selling the secret to happiness? If they worked, why so many?

We think sad/unhappy thoughts usually because we are sad - maybe our child died yesterday? Suppressing that constantly does more harm than good. I think we're trying too hard, and positive thinking has fallen into the "if some is good, more must be better" category and has almost become a panacea for everything that ails you.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:29 PM

12 posts, read 13,180 times
Steve, it's cool. Sometimes life does suck and it's ok to feel bad. I suspect a lot of those you see aren't showing their real self either. But don't check out man.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:50 PM

not checking out yet, but wont be too sad if it happened. Thanks things are ok, it changes daily. SOme days are so good and some just flat out suck. I mean it just seems so easy for some people. I wish for stupidity so much!

Old 01-27-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongol8 View Post
Accounting for every thought, word and deed becomes extremely stressful whether the thoughts are positive or negative. I think this is a big problem in society, there's actually a lot of pressure to be positive to the extreme. positive all the time, and if you are not, you are ostracized. Look at all the self-help books out there - how many do we need selling the secret to happiness? If they worked, why so many?

We think sad/unhappy thoughts usually because we are sad - maybe our child died yesterday? Suppressing that constantly does more harm than good. I think we're trying too hard, and positive thinking has fallen into the "if some is good, more must be better" category and has almost become a panacea for everything that ails you.
I am the opposite I think too much and am too serious. I am just not the happy go lucky type. People are afraid of me. Ohh well move on! Deal w/ it!

Old 01-27-2014, 02:56 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,876 times
Quite the opposite, I think most people live miserable, tedious, unfulfilling lives.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:55 PM

209 posts, read 466,125 times
Hey I'm feeling better...but not happy which is how I like it.

“No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities.” -Christian Nevell Bovee.

The more adaptable, amongst us live in a state of awareness and are free of denial. They take full responsibility for themselves. These people know the requirements, threats, and rewards to thrive. But even as they thrive they maintain vigilance. They know most of all that close association with their fellow humans in the form of loved ones and friends is a required aspect of their well being.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino1 View Post
Hey I'm feeling better...but not happy which is how I like it.

“No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities.” -Christian Nevell Bovee.

The more adaptable, amongst us live in a state of awareness and are free of denial. They take full responsibility for themselves. These people know the requirements, threats, and rewards to thrive. But even as they thrive they maintain vigilance. They know most of all that close association with their fellow humans in the form of loved ones and friends is a required aspect of their well being.
you just nailed on of my biggest problems. I don't have delusion. I need either drugs which I cant go back too or a delusion! I am too much in reality and it sucks. I had a tough day today. I mean I wanted to just numb myself so bad but I dealt w/ it, talked about it and even visualized going thru motions of a relapse and woke up to reality that its not a choice. Its hard living w/o drugs or crutches. I just have to keep dealing w/ life.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Quite the opposite, I think most people live miserable, tedious, unfulfilling lives.
ditto

everyone around me seems much unhappier than me. and i am not a happy-go-lucky person to begin with. its getting so bad that i am considering quitting my second job, because the negativity is so contagious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health