Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:54 PM

209 posts, read 466,125 times

Advertisements

Epictetus. The western Buddha and probably the most read and followed of the Stoics. Stoicism is not toughing it out when things suck. It is about taking full responsibility for ones self and the full responsibility to do things right and the consequences be dammed (sic). The dude was a Greek slave so he knew what the suck really was. References:

Epictetus Quotes - BrainyQuote
The Internet Classics Archive | The Enchiridion by Epictetus
The Internet Classics Archive | The Discourses by Epictetus
"A Man in Full" by Tom Wolfe.

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -D.H. Lawrence.

Hit it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:58 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
not checking out yet, but wont be too sad if it happened. Thanks things are ok, it changes daily. SOme days are so good and some just flat out suck. I mean it just seems so easy for some people. I wish for stupidity so much!
If I had a nickel every time I said Ignorance is Bliss I'd be rich.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
No, you're just perceiving your life as hell. You could be living in war-torn Somalia right now, which is a lot closer to hell by most standards. But a Somalian would probably experience your life situation as heaven.
Wow, that's a great, supportive answer. Give the OP a guilt trip!

Old 01-29-2014, 03:02 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino1 View Post
Epictetus. The western Buddha and probably the most read and followed of the Stoics. Stoicism is not toughing it out when things suck. It is about taking full responsibility for ones self and the full responsibility to do things right and the consequences be dammed (sic). The dude was a Greek slave so he knew what the suck really was. References:

Epictetus Quotes - BrainyQuote
The Internet Classics Archive | The Enchiridion by Epictetus
The Internet Classics Archive | The Discourses by Epictetus
"A Man in Full" by Tom Wolfe.

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -D.H. Lawrence.

Hit it!
its much easier not too take responsibility and just be miserable. Your asking for some work!

Old 01-29-2014, 03:28 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
I mean no disrespect, but I suspect you are dealing with a (undiagnosed) clinical depression!

The good news is that it's treatable!

You also should get yourself to a doc right away.

You need (the very least) counseling.

Like with most diseases of the body, it is not anything you alone can fix.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:27 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,027 times
You can't hate everyone, because you haven't met everyone! Maybe only 1 person in 100 is someone you can feel good around, that would be 3 million people if you are in USA. Or if your state has 1% of US population, then there are 30,000 waiting to be your friend in a state with average population. Imagine if you had a few hundred friends! Seems I've got more positive support on here than with my family! But I don't get the most reputations as I'm too rambling & others express my opinions better than I do! Also, they haven't read what I've read, so some think I'm the liar, not govt.

Everyone needs to vent, nobody feels everyone they've met is their soul mate or clone, it is hard to find the people that will make you happiest. But everyone has these problems. There are people in the world that would really want you for your friend. You don't say what state (or country) you are in. If you did & someone on here happened to live near you, they might want to call or visit you if OK.

I don't drive & I'm in MN, don't know how many are near me, but over 1.5 million on here. I can't want to live too much, when govt-corp alliance wants more youngish corpses & says harmless people should get up to 100 years in prison. Most I know are too apathetic to vote 3rd party instead of for their killers. Most prefer their brain in off position so they don't need to kill themselves.

You are correct that many often fake happiness. When I was in college, nearly everyone was happy in the commons, only heard 1 talk of suicide. But when I waited outside for ride from my mom, 2 people walking together, presumably best friends, & 1 telling other about problems. Very common.

The police in my state are trying to kill me & 1+ million here in chronic pain. No sympathy from those that think medical "marijuana" means unemployment. But cops will help kill cops as they have about 50% more suicides than others & the depression pills are a fake based on theory only. Best wishes.

Quote:
Everyone just seems so happy and I am just flat out not good at faking it. Are they really this bundle of joy? I think Im losing my mind. Its like I hate everyone lately. I just manage to deal w/ stupidity and morons who are so happy. Not that I am looking for more people miserable than me, its just alittle lets be real! I just need to vent, I am not happy, life sucks and I hate everyone!

Old 01-30-2014, 01:37 AM

Everybody has up & down moods. Just 1 bad event or 1 good event can change mood. Chances are you are pretty normal, but possibly just haven't met the best people for potential friends. Almost everyone feels better after venting, & what better place to do it than on the internet. I'm sure almost everyone knows people can't send a bullet or fist through a computer, so it feels safe. But if many seem to have strong opinions & complaints on here, chances are if we could all get together, after venting, people would be much more relaxed & would think of 80%-90% as potential friends. Best wishes!

Quote:
boy that feels good!! Just to post my anger and discontent. However the funny thing is it changes daily.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:46 AM

New medical knowledge says pills for depression were based on a never proven theory that depressed have chemical imbalance & pills correct that. But now even harmaceuticals cos. admit that the pills may be more likely to actually cause depression. The new theory is depression may be caused by an undiagnosed physical problem. I know this is true with me. If my body can be numbed, my depression and anxiety goes away. Cops won't allow the treatment I need, guess they think suicide is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
My grandmother once told me that happiness is a state of mind, not a set of circumstances. If you are chronically depressed, i know those words are of little solice, but its still comforting to think of.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:05 PM

160 posts, read 432,886 times
Steve...I agree, life can totally suck sometime. Sounds like you are more than just depressed, but maybe your brain chemistry is off. Think of your body as a machine that is miss-firing, logically think of how to get the chemicals back in order. I have gone to therapy a few times in my life....sorta helped. Took anti-depressants once....thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest. The only thing in my life that helps me change the chemistry, therefore my mood and depression is hard exercise. I have a gym membership (under $30 a month) and I take group exercise classes. I would never work out that hard on my own, and I actually really love doing the classes. Walking on a treadmill sounds like torture to me. The classes have great instructors and loud music. I feel great after a good kick boxing class. Something to think about!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:11 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
You can't just hold it in forever. At least with me (and most of the people I know), venting helps. People need to blow off steam. If not, little things build up and snowball and can become insurmountable.

The thing that sucks is that there's this cult of "positive thinking". Which is all well and good, but in certain circumstances it's dismissive of other emotions, which are normal and which all serve a purpose.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of the people you see aren't as happy as they let on, but just putting on their game face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health