Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 10:03 AM

101 posts, read 116,822 times

Advertisements

I've been going to a therapist for 8 months, I first tried wellbutron but it really didn't help. Exploring the issues further (And I was uncomfortable with medication to begin with, and I had a doctor who isn't a fan of medicating first and talking later) he put me on ritalin.

I've been on the medication for 2 months now. This is not a post from being on it for one day, even though the positive effects happened instantly I wanted to give myself time to see the drawbacks of it, and so far there is only one...wearing off fairly quickly.

I'm taking anywhere from 60mgs to 100mg (Depends on the day, usually on the lower end) and despite from what I hear about tolerance, I don't take it on the weekend as I do like my downtime.

Other than that, wow. I've been working better, thinking better, paying attention, I used to hate concerts, I went to Billy Joel and had a blast. I'm reading again, I've read 2 books in the last month, which is more than I've read since 1997.

And...keep in mind I'm 45 years old. My sex drive is through the roof...at least what it was compared to before. I look at women much more....well much more. I'm more outgoing...I'm funny....

And now...I'm worried. I'm worried how much has come out is actually "me" and how much is brought out by the ritalin. Most everyone around me has noticed a big difference both professionally and personally.

I'd like to hear from other folks on this (or similar) medications to see how it has affected their life. But I'm making more money in my business because I am no longer procrastinating, my personal life...I love going out now, the reading....it's no exaggeration when I say at least.

I'm seeing my therapist to discuss the extended release solution, it's a little more money (No insurance yet) but with the increase in everything especially work and social skills....

Anyway would like to hear back, thank you. - Chris
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 05:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
Might help if you say what your diagnosis is. And what problems you were having before taking this drug.

Ritalin is a drug which works differently on different people. With some people it may "perk them up". Others who are hyperactive may suddenly be able to "focus".

Old 02-27-2014, 07:28 AM

101 posts, read 116,822 times
Diagnosed later in life with ADHD and major depressive disorder, thx

Old 02-27-2014, 07:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
In that case I know someone with ADHD and Ritalin helps him to "focus". It changes him into a "normal" person basically.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:39 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
My mother is on Ritalin and she's totally unfocused, take her 3 hours to take a show and get ready, will spend 4 - 5 hours just wandering around WalMart. Just going to buy a pack of batteries yesterday took her about 3 hours, and she couldn't decide on what kind to get, so didn't buy any.

She also has times when she talks and talks and talks, for hours, about nothing of importance and won't let anyone get a word in while she's talking. More like "monalogueing". I'm going to try and find out who her psychiatrist is who has her on all these drugs (also pain killers and restless leg medication). Her behavior has been extremely "off" the past decade while on all these meds.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:51 PM

838 posts, read 1,353,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My mother is on Ritalin and she's totally unfocused, take her 3 hours to take a show and get ready, will spend 4 - 5 hours just wandering around WalMart. Just going to buy a pack of batteries yesterday took her about 3 hours, and she couldn't decide on what kind to get, so didn't buy any.

She also has times when she talks and talks and talks, for hours, about nothing of importance and won't let anyone get a word in while she's talking. More like "monalogueing". I'm going to try and find out who her psychiatrist is who has her on all these drugs (also pain killers and restless leg medication). Her behavior has been extremely "off" the past decade while on all these meds.
The amphetamine and pain killer are probably counter-acting each other. Not good for the heart I would imagine. Stimulant and depressant.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
The amphetamine and pain killer are probably counter-acting each other. Not good for the heart I would imagine. Stimulant and depressant.
She may also be on an antidepressant. I would imagine the pain killers come from a different doctor. She has fibromyalgia and pops pills all day. I'll most likely have to plan an intervention as she's extemely messed up and won't be able to live on her own.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 PM

I've now been told by a psychiatrist and a social worker that Ritalin will have an opposite effect on people who don't actually have ADD. And I believe this has been the case for my mother.

I remember when she told me she was diagnosed with ADD, and I was pretty surprised, considering throughout my childhood she never seemed unusual at all and did fine raising kids, cooking, errands, etc. And she got straight As in school. I think she's been mis-diagnosed. She's been on Ritalin for at least 13 years and she NOW acts like someone with HORRIBLE ADD! I don't live with her, but my brother said that when she takes the Ritalin, that's when she starts talking and talking and making no sense, wandering around aimlessly, etc.

I've talked to the social worker about an intervention with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health