Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:13 AM

676 posts, read 936,740 times

Advertisements

I have just learned about being a "Dry Drunk". Not funny. I read about it and have been living this life for so long I am at the point of wanting him to find another place to live. It seems they still display drunk like symptoms and they are very very angry at the person not wanting them to drink. Would you all check out a website on dry drunk and see if you are experiencing this problem. I feel like I have to walk on eggshells but wondering why because he wasn't drinking. He's not a raging drunk just a beer now and then but with his meds he takes the alcohol is magnified 100's of times over such as falling and losing his balance. I am telling him he cannot have a beer and he is so angry. He is a dry drunk. Thank you Please get back to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Why are you buying into the notion that you are the arbiter of his behavior? If he chooses to drink with the medication he is taking, that behavior should not alter yours. In otherwords, if you don't normally treat him as a child telling him what he can/cannot do, then why do you join him in his dysfunctional behavior?

You might instead approach this as if both of you are adults responsible for your own behavior, like this: When you drink while taking your medication, it changes your personality and makes you unstable to where you fall and could hurt yourself. I am not comfortable with this and I will not be a part of this. Something needs to change and you are the one in control of that.

Decide if you wish to stay with him or leave. This puts the responsibility on him and removes you from the parental role, leaving him no "excuse" for being angry with you.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:32 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
When I saw the title I was hoping that it was you who was complaining about having problems with dry drunk symptoms. That's because I think you have the power to change your attitude and thoughts but you don't have the power to change his. This is an unfortunate truth.

You really don't give enough information to determine if he's an alcoholic or if he's simply feeling crabby about having his life habits altered and being told what to do. Or if he's feeling unwell.

(I will reinforce that it is a common misconception that all a problem drinker has to do is put the cork in the bottle. What people don't realize is that alcoholism and problem drinking have a psychological proponent as well as a physical one.

So stopping the drinking is the first step to wellness. The second requires a change of attitude and a belief system that has developed around alcohol dependency. Without a psychological adjustment dry alcoholics tend to be pretty unhappy people and difficult to live with.)

Whether that applies to him is difficult to ascertain from your post. Mixing alcohol and some drugs can cause non-problem drinkers to fall. Perhaps his doctor could take the roll of reinforcing this danger with him.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:07 AM

18,021 posts, read 27,463,514 times
This thread is obviously not about alcoholism so I won't respond to that aspect here.

I think his problem might be those nasty meds he's on. What could he do to improve his health to get off of them and resume his consumption of a few beers?

Old 06-17-2014, 11:23 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Withdrawal ;plain and simple.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:17 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
I am no doctor so I will not be so bold as to say he needs his meds or not~~
and if he is not an alcoholic he is not on a "dry drunk" that term is used when an alcoholic is NOT drinking but their behavior s anything but sane
maybe you nee to work on yourself and ask yourself f he s this much of a let down why do you stay?? I used to be in crazy loopy violent relationships an I AM an alcoholic but have been sober almost 16 years I don't hang out with crazy folks any more

Old 06-17-2014, 10:19 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
This thread is obviously not about alcoholism so I won't respond to that aspect here. /
It's not that clear. The OP uses the term dry drunk which she thinks applies to him. That isn't a condition which social drinkers experience.

"They still display drunk like symptoms." She's tired enough of it to want him to move out. Those statements seem to be in conflict with her comment that he has a "beer now and then."

We need more information. How old is he?
Was his drinking appropriate before he started taking medication?
Are you comfortable talking about what kind of medication it is?

Old 06-18-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
I am no doctor so I will not be so bold as to say he needs his meds or not~~
Proper nutrition and a healthier lifestyle may enable him to wean off those meds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It's not that clear. The OP uses the term dry drunk which she thinks applies to him.
She describes him as someone who misses his couple or few beers. I don't see any alcoholism there and more importantly, no desire to change his consumption even if it was a problem... which it may not be save for interaction with his meds.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Proper nutrition and a healthier lifestyle may enable him to wean off those meds.

She describes him as someone who misses his couple or few beers. I don't see any alcoholism there and more importantly, no desire to change his consumption even if it was a problem... which it may not be save for interaction with his meds.

LOL
I am sure there is no denial around any where
I can not call anyone an alcoholic I do not know but only had someone tell me what they think
nor can I say they are not an alcoholic if I do not personally know them and I sure as hell can not play doctor!
I have been sober in AA for many years I also used to work in alcohol and drug treatment neither of these qualifies me to make such calls I can however share my own personal experience
most folks get on here looking for an easy answer
I wanted someone to tell me "what was wrong" usually with "them"
"they" were the problem
not me I was the victim
I hope the gal who asked the question gets help for herself she sure can not fix her boyfriend and neither can anyone here, including myself
and pretending like I know all the answers would just be my ego flapping around

Old 06-18-2014, 10:23 AM

One drunk can tell another drunk. The trick is for the one drunk to help the other one come to a realization of whether they are alcoholic or not and if they are, do they want to do something about it.

This process starts off with the recovered alcoholic talking about their own drinking. There's this chapter in this book called Alcoholics Anonymous that has dedicated a whole chapter to it called Working with Others.

Oh, and in that same book, they spend 55+ pages discussing what an alcoholic is and is not. You ought to read it some time.

As far as playing doctor, isn't that something little kids like to do? I spend my time avoiding doctors. Until I meet a doctor who tells me that the way to health is through proper nutrition and healthy living, I don't have much time for them. But that's just me. Go take your pills if that is what you must do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health