Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 06:48 AM

103 posts, read 93,326 times

Advertisements

Age 23. I was a very sociable girl before I slipped into depression four years ago, when I moved to another country. What made things worse was I was in an abusive relationship for two years during that time. I did make a lot of friends but no one I could talk to on a daily basis or hang out with frequently, apart from my abusive ex. I started to get a lot better mentally a year ago and be able to find myself again. I was more involved in social activities but I still struggled a lot to make and keep friends.
I love playing [insert musical instrument here, trying not to reveal my identity on here]. I travel a lot and make friends in hostels. I join hiking groups and go hiking occasionally. I also try and explore new things in my city. I'm not sure if the aftermaths of four years of depression are still keeping people from seeing me as a great potential friend. I just still feel pretty lonely especially now I'm out of univeristy. Any advice would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 07:47 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Good that you value yourself enough to leave a bad relationship.

For now focus on staying healthy and balanced. Do things you enjoy & people will be drawn to you. Take a class or learn something new. Music is a great way to meet other people. Just relax and don't put extra pressure on yourself. It will take awhile to heal.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:11 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
You sound like you have really grown and healed quite a bit. Keep doing what you are doing and slowly things will come together even more. It can be frustrating not to see a difference but it's really true that little by little changes will happen. Wishing you strength to keep up the good work. You will be rewarded.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:28 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I'm so happy for you having such a turnaround. When I went through a depression in my 20s, I ended up getting a retail job at a store I loved. I met many coworkers who had similar interests. 15 years later, they are still my close friends, even though I've moved 2,000 miles away since then. I've made other friends through dog sports. And others through my writing group.

Meetup.com has been a huge boost to my social life.

Congrats on your new start.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:04 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,586 times
When I moved four years ago, I didn't have any friends locally. I found other musicians to play with. What started as a casual jam eventually lead to playing gigs in bars as a group of friends. Music might be something worth looking into, you're more than welcome to come play at my house lol

Old 07-11-2016, 08:47 AM

294 posts, read 337,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy2013 View Post
I'm not sure if the aftermaths of four years of depression are still keeping people from seeing me as a great potential friend.
People don't have to know about your prior status unless you really, really want to tell them.

Follow up with the people you've met through hiking and maybe you have more in common. Just do what you enjoy doing (unless it's super solitary) and it would likely put you in the same space as potential friends. Depending on what city you are in, Meetup groups might even work.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:17 PM

263 posts, read 230,811 times
You may want to consider 'meetings'....CODA, AA, Al Anon, NA, Nar-anon...if any of the subject matter applies to you. This is generally where 'strangers' come together to be open and honest about issues that they have

Old 07-11-2016, 12:18 PM

263 posts, read 230,811 times
Above all, don't forget it's not as hard as you think, and the positive change you seek is more proximate to your reach than you realize.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:13 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
Would love for the original poster to comment again to let us know how you are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health