Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2018, 07:10 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,672 times

Advertisements

Sorry not sure where to put this.

I often have many projects with which to keep myself interested and learning. Often I have so many projects and the related detritus, that I have a table or two with piles of project/hobby stuff that is half done or ready for when I finish acquiring the things I need to finish the project.

Then I see some people who appear to be content with watching TV or just sitting outside. My wife and I are of above average intelligence and I often regard her as having the higher intelligence, but all she's interested in doing is watching TV. It boggles my mind how anyone could be so disinterested.

Do I have some condition that makes me want to keep my hands busy? I don't think I have ADD because I work with a millennial that has ADD and he can't concentrate on his work or even learn it properly and refuses to take his medication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 02:56 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
I'm not sure the question should be are you normal because, frankly, what is normal? It seems to be are you compatible with your wife? What do you do while she's watching TV? Are you doing your own thing? Or are you sitting beside her wishing y'all could be somewhere else doing something different?

Old 06-17-2018, 03:30 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Sorry not sure where to put this.

I often have many projects with which to keep myself interested and learning. Often I have so many projects and the related detritus, that I have a table or two with piles of project/hobby stuff that is half done or ready for when I finish acquiring the things I need to finish the project.

Then I see some people who appear to be content with watching TV or just sitting outside. My wife and I are of above average intelligence and I often regard her as having the higher intelligence, but all she's interested in doing is watching TV. It boggles my mind how anyone could be so disinterested.

Do I have some condition that makes me want to keep my hands busy? I don't think I have ADD because I work with a millennial that has ADD and he can't concentrate on his work or even learn it properly and refuses to take his medication.
You are restless, infinished projects are a sign. Something amiss in state of being will affect the human spiritual condition. The tell tale sign is restlessness, discontentment.

Most people claim to be above average intelligence, so where are the majority of fools like me?

Old 06-17-2018, 03:39 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Statistically speaking, you may not be "normal."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/normal

Old 06-19-2018, 01:00 PM

6,153 posts, read 4,525,082 times
Yeah, you're normal, you just have to finish one project before you start, or start buying for, another. Look at any crafter, quilter, anyone with hobbies and they'll have a joke ready about how buying things for a project and actually finishing projects are two separate hobbies. (Don't bother asking me how I know this.) As for your wife, maybe she works hard, or is fulfilled by her work, or is just tired. When I'm under stress I do nothing but watch TV, and the crappier the better. It lets my mind off the hook.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:58 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
I agree with the above....and yes, you're [normal]...whatever that means.
Maybe it "boggles" your wifes mind how you can be so busy all the time..Maybe she's not really "disinterested" just not passionate about it, like you are.

I can never understand why so many people don't read books anymore...it boggles MY mind.
When I'm relaxing that's what I'm doing....it keeps me interested and learning.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,672 times
After my computer died, I spent 2 weeks trying to do other things than researching my interests. Relaxing and doing nothing is fine too, but seems so.. boring.

I went back to work from an early retirement just to avoid being bored, i had run out of things to keep me busy. ha ha

Old 06-30-2018, 02:25 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Nothing dictates that the mind has to stay in the same "gear" all the time nor should it. There is nothing wrong with changing the pace of your thoughts at different times of a day. I may spend the entire workday or a weekend busy and tightly focused, but that certainly doesn't mean I must stay that way constantly.

I find if I have too many unfinished projects (I mean voluntary ones like hobbies) it frustrates me and I can't seem to settle down to work on any of them. Kind of flit from one to the other, accomplishing nothing. Like too many people all trying to get through a door at the same time. If I have fewer things going on (but still a choice, not just one) I tend to enjoy them more. There's less "clutter" going on mentally if there isn't too much stuff hanging around waiting for me to get to it. At some point it becomes overwhelming. That "point" is very individual IMHO.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:04 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Yeah, you're normal, you just have to finish one project before you start, or start buying for, another. Look at any crafter, quilter, anyone with hobbies and they'll have a joke ready about how buying things for a project and actually finishing projects are two separate hobbies. (Don't bother asking me how I know this.) As for your wife, maybe she works hard, or is fulfilled by her work, or is just tired. When I'm under stress I do nothing but watch TV, and the crappier the better. It lets my mind off the hook.

This.

I think it's normal too, and admirable, to have so much interest in hobbies like yours...no worries there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health