Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 03:37 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,766,820 times

Advertisements

I am just curious about others experiences on anti-depressants. Obviously, we are all different, but I am curious, nonetheless. As for me, I am still searching.

Prozac (fluoxetine) - I found this the most effective for me, but caused crippling insomnia . I love this drug, but the sleep issues are too much. I also felt "sharper" on it, like it was a "smart pill".

Zoloft - this drug did wonders for my social anxiety - GONE. But alas, it made me TOO relaxed and I started to have issues with driving. I had the least side effects on this one. Initial insomnia which went away pretty quickly.

Effexor - made me jittery, sleep issues, heart palpitations. To be fair, I didn't really give it long enough. Same with Cymbalta.

Mirtazapine (remeron) - slept well, seemed effective, but did make me feel dizzy during the day. Again, I probably did not give it long enough to make a fair assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 06:31 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Well, clinical depression set in with me in 1991 and my gut told it was thyroid but for 10 yrs the doctors all told me I was fine...I was NOT.

Prozac was the first one I took as it was just new on the market....it did nothing, zilch.

Then thru the 10 yrs I believe I was given Zoloft and Wellbutrin and different times and still depression.

Finally in in 2002, my D.O. put me on theraputic dose of Armour thyroid and those 10 yrs of depression were gone.

For me it was a sluggish thyroid...could be this for so so so many.

We are not numbers, we are symptoms.

Sorry, you got a little more info than you asked for...but A/D's are not for me.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:26 AM

No, not too much info - thank you for sharing it.

Yeah, I wish it was just my thyroid - I have that checked yearly.

I am REALLY missing my Zoloft. It just made me so foggy. I don't know, I miss the calmness it gave me.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:36 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I am just curious about others experiences on anti-depressants. Obviously, we are all different, but I am curious, nonetheless. As for me, I am still searching.

Prozac (fluoxetine) - I found this the most effective for me, but caused crippling insomnia . I love this drug, but the sleep issues are too much. I also felt "sharper" on it, like it was a "smart pill".

Zoloft - this drug did wonders for my social anxiety - GONE. But alas, it made me TOO relaxed and I started to have issues with driving. I had the least side effects on this one. Initial insomnia which went away pretty quickly.

Effexor - made me jittery, sleep issues, heart palpitations. To be fair, I didn't really give it long enough. Same with Cymbalta.

Mirtazapine (remeron) - slept well, seemed effective, but did make me feel dizzy during the day. Again, I probably did not give it long enough to make a fair assessment.

I don't remember specifics of each drug tried but I could not take Effexor, Paxil, Zoloft.
Lexapro and Wellbutrin combined, as well as Abilify and Seroquel, have together worked amazingly well for me.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:55 PM

I am glad you found the right combo. I know I am greatly in need of them, I just can't seem to find the right fit for me, or a doctor who seems particulary concerned. It's like they just prescribe them to me willy-nilly without really asking me too much.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:14 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
I am glad you found the right combo. I know I am greatly in need of them, I just can't seem to find the right fit for me, or a doctor who seems particulary concerned. It's like they just prescribe them to me willy-nilly without really asking me too much.

It's necessary to be part of your medical care plan....don't just rely on the MD. Be proactive.

Ask questions, read up on meds. I make sure I have input in my medication regimen and my medical care.
Offer more info to get your MD interested. Or find a new psych MD.

Repeatedly mention the most problematic depression symptoms and ask if there are meds that are more tuned to your situation. Get into therapy. Insist on trying new meds...

It takes multiple tries to find ones that work. Trying just 3 meds is nothing. Keep trying.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:23 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
No, not too much info - thank you for sharing it.

Yeah, I wish it was just my thyroid - I have that checked yearly.

I am REALLY missing my Zoloft. It just made me so foggy. I don't know, I miss the calmness it gave me.
Well, I had it checked over and over by MD's for 10 yrs and my numbers were fine in their minds, but once my D.O. called in for Armour on the phone, no labs, just going by my symptoms, that long depression lifted in my body. This is my story and I've been that route. I don't believe the numbers world. The old time docs went by symptoms and the new crew, it's numbers.

Numbers can be a guideline but symptoms are where it is. Too bad so many are missed, I believe this from the numbers. One can have a sluggish thyroid and have great numbers.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:33 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Celexa & Lexapro worked best for me.

Wellbutrin was giving to me recently and I had the worst episode of depression ever.

What may work great for one person could make things worse for others. It's trial & error.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:04 PM

139 posts, read 76,335 times
I took Wellbutrin once for a few weeks. I felt numb and dead inside. Almost robotic. Now I just smoke lots of weed.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screechingweasel View Post
I took Wellbutrin once for a few weeks. I felt numb and dead inside. Almost robotic. Now I just smoke lots of weed.
That is kind of how the Zoloft made me feel - but I miss that since I am normally too wound up. I have not smoked weed in decades. I think about it sometimes, and wonder if it might help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health