Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 11:08 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,660,494 times

Advertisements

Single middle aged guy here...youthful and try to stay active. Work out three times a week, etc. Just realized have no real close friends...they all married/divorced, etc and drifted out of my life years ago. Have gotten complacent, and have not put myself out there much the last few years after a dating breakup...like live music but not really into drinking and the club scene. Hear that lonliness is like smoking 15 cigarettes a day as you get older, so need to get back out there. Tired of internet dating and looking for low budget ways to meet new people. Any suggestions are appreciated on how/where to find common interest clubs and so forth. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 03:31 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
You sound EXACTLY like me. I can only tell you what I've tried: Meetup.com, classes (I took an improv class and Salsa), new hobbies. I don't know...none have worked for me, but at least I tried. Next is online guitar lessons, bike riding, more classes at the gym. Its hard, especially if you're an introvert and have some social anxiety like I do. Meetup.com is very hit or miss. In all honesty, I haven't pout too much effort in it in the last year. Lots of nerdy misfits is what I found. But I think its different everywhere.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:32 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,825,286 times
I was also going to suggest meetup. There are facebook groups too. Meetup IS hit and miss and people are very flaky, they just won't commit to things. There aren't many nerds where I live. But meetups are still the best way I've found to make friends.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:35 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
I'm a middle-aged woman (42), single and having a blast. MeetUp is a great place to start - I have joined a writer's group and been a member for nearly a decade. Those people are wonderful, and the group has spawned another writer's group that is more specialized. I'm going on a date with a guy I met in one of the groups next month.

I'm involved in dog sports and spend a lot of time training my dogs. Through these sports I've met a ton of other people.

I'm currently renovating my house with the intention of hosting events for my friends here, like game nights and dinners. The work needed to be done, but I'm going to align the end results with my interests and goals.

I'm in Denver. Musical events and breweries are great places to meet people here. There's also a lot of hiking groups and if you're into working out probably some crossfit too. Probably the same wherever you're located too.

My advice is basically to just GO OUT. And get a dog if you like dogs. They are incredible social lubricant.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:18 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm a middle-aged woman (42), single and having a blast. MeetUp is a great place to start - I have joined a writer's group and been a member for nearly a decade. Those people are wonderful, and the group has spawned another writer's group that is more specialized. I'm going on a date with a guy I met in one of the groups next month.

I'm involved in dog sports and spend a lot of time training my dogs. Through these sports I've met a ton of other people.

I'm currently renovating my house with the intention of hosting events for my friends here, like game nights and dinners. The work needed to be done, but I'm going to align the end results with my interests and goals.

I'm in Denver. Musical events and breweries are great places to meet people here. There's also a lot of hiking groups and if you're into working out probably some crossfit too. Probably the same wherever you're located too.

My advice is basically to just GO OUT. And get a dog if you like dogs. They are incredible social lubricant.

Glad to hear you are doing so well, JD....

Old 04-13-2019, 04:44 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,934 times
I stay active by traveling. Living in one place for too long bores me, so I relocate often for work. Thankfully, I have a job that allows me to live just about anywhere. I move when I want to. Currently in CO, but won't stay too much longer. My kids are grown and I have nothing tying me down. So, after 1.5 years I've decided to return to the east coast where I am not so land-locked. The EC geographic location just works better for my lifestyle. Currently, I find fulfillment by exploring new cities, experiences new cultures and meeting people. I enjoy my solo, nomadic lifestyle. Loneliness can't catch me I guess.

I second JD's advice, just GO OUT.

Last edited by lovely40; 04-13-2019 at 05:37 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 08:55 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

The dog advice is good. I have a cat. She's a great pet, but obviously I don't take her out. I'm about to start looking at dogs and trying to figure out what breed I want. I'm looking at possibly getting a Pembroke Welsh Corgi or a Double Doodle. I'm also going to volunteer at an animal adoption place.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:42 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
How about
* joining a book club through your local library
* learning a card game like bridge (find lessons)
* volunteering with a dog rescue group — they need people for lots of different things
* Taking up some kind of class at your local community center or just joining the volleyball league
* Joining a running group — some small althetic gear shops have info
* Joining the Sierra Club — they may have hikes or backpacking events for singles but even just their regular hikes are great
* taking a regular class in adult ed at your local community college

Old 04-14-2019, 03:57 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
OP: Maybe just take a rest on the Looking scene. The above member has some very good ideas. Why not be of service to others for a while and then now and then etc...people meet people that way too.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:44 PM

7 posts, read 5,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
The dog advice is good. I have a cat. She's a great pet, but obviously I don't take her out. I'm about to start looking at dogs and trying to figure out what breed I want. I'm looking at possibly getting a Pembroke Welsh Corgi or a Double Doodle. I'm also going to volunteer at an animal adoption place.
I just started volunteering at an animal shelter, and I really enjoy. It hasn't been great for meeting people so far, but the dogs love the attention and going for walks, and they are always so happy to see me. (I have a cat, too, but she hates dogs so I won't be able to get a dog until she passes away).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health