Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 03:48 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socialbee17 View Post
What are some ways people are coping with anxiety during the pandemic ?
Related to what, specifically?

- Catching the Plague? Nothing I can do about it. I'm 53 and still have a weight problem, so I'm a low but non-trivial risk. I practice the protocols to somewhat isolate and work at home. Nothing further I can do, so nothing to be "anxious" about there. Reasonable vs. unreasonable fear, in that case.

- Not dealing with people: a godsend to me, an introvert. I run major programs remotely from Zoom and Teams. Works great. 'Nuff said.

- Not being able to travel and do some of the activities I like: I've shifted hobbies, to weight loss and diet and related. Also retained a personal trainer who comes by the house and teaches me how to maximize the weights that I have, and core strength. So far so good, I'm a dilettante at learning personal training so it's interesting.

- Gave up news, in-toto, since early November. Worthless, lies and BS. ALL of it.

- Reading lots of books, they're relaxing: thank you, Kindle.

I'm never bored. I hike on Saturdays most weeks, new to me the past 6 months. Tomorrow it's snowshoeing, also new to me. Bottom line is I find ways to cope, often in physical activity, which by-definition is one path to lower anxiety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 11:40 AM

24 posts, read 14,970 times
I have an anxiety disorder — and now, in times of crisis and global pandemic, it is especially difficult to cope with it. I know it's not just my problem: Statistics show that up to 33.7% of the world's total population experience some kind of anxiety disorder at some point in their lives. And today there has come just such a moment when the risk of being alone with anxiety is off the scale: for example, in China, where the Covid-19 outbreak originated, 28.8% of people faced moderate or severe anxiety. Sometimes, in order to calm down and change my outlook on the world, I use cbd edibles canada. For me, this is the best tool so far.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:22 PM

3,126 posts, read 1,017,583 times
- I use meditation, sometimes twice a day, once a day most of the time (a longer meditation) or even three times a day (shorter). I find it very helpful.

- Working out daily. Even if just for 15 min yoga or Pilates or a short walk outside. I started power lifting recently and I like it. I do it at home. It only takes 15 min because it is really hard. But I feel great after that. I finish with some stretching and I'm good.

- Healthy diet. I'm doing my best to eat as healthy as I can. Salads, fresh fruits, smoothies, good quality meat, fish, nuts. Most of the food that I buy is organic. No wheat, gluten, sugar, soy, alcohol, dairy products (rarely) and I follow a low carbs diet. It sounds fanatical, I know. But it is really helpful for the mind/moods. I cook all my meals at home.

- Visualizations (imagery). I use visualization techniques for courage, weight loss, phobia, sleep, pain etc.

- Positive affirmations. I've been using them for a few decades. For many things. For fears, peace, balance etc.

- Prayer and sending positive vibrations to others at the end of the practice. Daily.

- Music.

- Aroma therapy.

- Hobbies. I grow a small garden, read a lot, make my own clothes, knit, make jewelry (see my albums here), paint and draw, embroidery, rugs, bags, bookmarks, pillows etc.

- Not watching the news.

- Reading positive news online and watching comedies.

- Going out in nature, short trips, during the weekend most of the time.

- I go to an ashram/monastery about once a month and there is a park there. I take a walk, or meditate and practice visualizations and positive affirmations there for about one hour.

Take care.

Old 06-08-2022, 01:44 PM

3,737 posts, read 2,566,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
- I use meditation, sometimes twice a day, once a day most of the time (a longer meditation) or even three times a day (shorter). I find it very helpful.

- Working out daily. Even if just for 15 min yoga or Pilates or a short walk outside. I started power lifting recently and I like it. I do it at home. It only takes 15 min because it is really hard. But I feel great after that. I finish with some stretching and I'm good.

- Healthy diet. I'm doing my best to eat as healthy as I can. Salads, fresh fruits, smoothies, good quality meat, fish, nuts. Most of the food that I buy is organic. No wheat, gluten, sugar, soy, alcohol, dairy products (rarely) and I follow a low carbs diet. It sounds fanatical, I know. But it is really helpful for the mind/moods. I cook all my meals at home.

- Visualizations (imagery). I use visualization techniques for courage, weight loss, phobia, sleep, pain etc.

- Positive affirmations. I've been using them for a few decades. For many things. For fears, peace, balance etc.

- Prayer and sending positive vibrations to others at the end of the practice. Daily.

- Music.

- Aroma therapy.

- Hobbies. I grow a small garden, read a lot, make my own clothes, knit, make jewelry (see my albums here), paint and draw, embroidery, rugs, bags, bookmarks, pillows etc.

- Not watching the news.

- Reading positive news online and watching comedies.

- Going out in nature, short trips, during the weekend most of the time.

- I go to an ashram/monastery about once a month and there is a park there. I take a walk, or meditate and practice visualizations and positive affirmations there for about one hour.

Take care.
This is a great regimen.. do you still have breakthroughs of significant anxiety (?) I'm a big believer in a lifestyle approach to managing anxiety, but I'm curious about Plan Bs, if/when lifestyle isn't enough

Old 06-08-2022, 02:29 PM

No, I don't. But I'm very careful with the mind, what I expose my mind to.

I also stay away from stimuli as much as possible. No caffeine, no aspartam, nu loud music, no crowds of people (concerts), no violent movies, no sexual content, no intense crazy drama in writing/movies/music etc. Not for me.

I take supplements, I forgot to mention about them. I used to suffer from anemia as a child/teen and still have some deficiencies. Ayurvedic remedies, some special salts, Brazil nuts, vegan/vegetarian supplements, rarely I have dairy products but only from Europe/New Zealand/other (they have some regulations there and don't permit for example the farmers to give hormones like estrogen to cows).

Old 06-09-2022, 10:00 AM

Someone commented about a test for anxiety. (in a personal comment) I'm not aware of it. I presume there is something like that, probably a therapist would know.

Good books about axiety + techniques how to treat it = written by doctor Claire Weekes, from Australia. "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" is the best, in my opinion. I have it on kindle and also found it on youtube some years ago. Read by the author.

She died 32 years ago but she's considered the best expert in anxiety. In any case, she has a technique that I practiced over and over again and was particularly helpful. The floating technique.

I tried to find the book now on youtube and post it here but could not find it. There are parts of it, not sure if one can listen to the entire book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health