Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 11:48 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times

Advertisements

Need to make a job change for my emotional health...can't keep doing the job I'm doing it is boring and unfulfilling (i'm literally sitting and playing solitaire half the day)

BUt I am terrified the jobs I'm applying for will be TOO demanding and I won't be able to keep up. I was told to quit or be fired from my last job and lucky to get the job I have. Had to relocate to a town I don't want to live in to get it. I still have PTSD from the experience, the boss lied on my evaluation to get rid of me and made some assumptions about things that weren't reality. I tried my hardest to recover the situation but failed. My confidence and self esteem are in tatters and I haven't been able to recover them. This current job, where I do next to nothing all day, isn't engaging and doesn't make the best use of my skills. Anxiety and depression are my constant companions and I don't know if a different job is really going to help.

One that I'm applying for is only half time so I would have to find a way to make up the extra income. It would be less stressful in that I would not have primary responsibility unlike before. But I'm not sure how long I could sustain that reduced income. It would be a good way to ease myself back in and get the training I need to eventually go back to full time. It might be good for my mental health to have less responsibility yet be doing work I enjoy.

I have an interview for the 50% job tomorrow. What if they offer it to me before I even have a chance to interview for the others? I'm grinding my teeth with worry over this.

Sorry, I don't really have a question, just needed to vent about my situation. I don't have much of a support system and there is really no one who can advise me on what to do (Which is the story of my career...I've made many mistakes along the way and never really had a mentor of any kind to help me out)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 11:56 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
Having a part time job isn't necessarily going to be low stress. Stress on the job is usually a function of who is supervising you, rather than the work. Taking a cut in salary is never a good idea. Stick with the boring job until you get a better offer. You don't have to play solitaire. With a little imagination you can make almost any job, even cleaning toilets or mopping floors, interesting and rewarding.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Having a part time job isn't necessarily going to be low stress. Stress on the job is usually a function of who is supervising you, rather than the work. Taking a cut in salary is never a good idea. Stick with the boring job until you get a better offer. You don't have to play solitaire. With a little imagination you can make almost any job, even cleaning toilets or mopping floors, interesting and rewarding.
IT isn't the part time that makes it low stress...it's the fact that I would be second in command instead of first in command that would reduce the stress. I would have an experienced person in charge making decisions and providing the guidance...that I've never had before. After a year or two of that, I would know if I was capable of doing the job full time or not.

Keeping my current job is not an option. I'm dead inside and this job is killing what's left of me.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:29 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
I'm sure most people who've ever worked go through this at one time or another. I know I have.

Seems like you have two choices: either to continue to "freak out" about your current unhappy situation or to "freak out" about changing it. One option requires action, the other doesn't. Only you can decide whether action will be worth the temporary anxiety it creates. Also consider that taking the part time gig might replace one sort of anxiety with another...the worry over whether you can afford it.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:40 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
I found that I enjoyed two part time jobs a lot more than one full time job. Each one gave me time to "regroup" and when I went back to full time work, I was actually bored. If you are a high energy person who hates boredom, this might be an option for you.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:42 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,846 times
I would suggest you look for option 3. It's a job-seekers' market right now more than ever and while you are not happy with your current job, I would just caution against taking a job that is only part time where you might be trading constant anxiety over job unhappiness for constant anxiety over how you will pay rent or have benefits covered. I would definitely look for something else, but full time.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:53 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
IT isn't the part time that makes it low stress...it's the fact that I would be second in command instead of first in command that would reduce the stress. I would have an experienced person in charge making decisions and providing the guidance...that I've never had before. After a year or two of that, I would know if I was capable of doing the job full time or not.

Keeping my current job is not an option. I'm dead inside and this job is killing what's left of me.
I'm not sure what kind of work other than a trainee would allow you to have your boss making your decisions for you. I would think a second in command person ought to be fully capable of filling in for the first in command and competent to do the first in command's job. Every job I ever had at every level required me to make my own decisions and stand or fall on those decisions. I got marching orders and it was up to me to get the jobs done. I asked co-workers for help but never asked a boss.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
I would suggest you look for option 3. It's a job-seekers' market right now more than ever and while you are not happy with your current job, I would just caution against taking a job that is only part time where you might be trading constant anxiety over job unhappiness for constant anxiety over how you will pay rent or have benefits covered. I would definitely look for something else, but full time.
I have applications in for another part time and 2 other full time jobs. Just waiting for them to call.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:11 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

Not necessarily. I followed that train of thought recently and find myself straining at the bit like never before and the money is great.

Work on your resume. Keep it simple. Work on your "what happened". Turn it into a written Q&A then work on elimination then on a two minute professional explanation. And I am not kidding - get some good unders for interviews. Feel goo, go hither can give you that little spark in the eye.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:04 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
what kind of work do you? What's your profession? I have been in dead end jobs too but I ended up getting too comfortable and scared to leave. I finally have a job that I love and a great boss and that's a plus. I am a licensed insurance agent now and I have been in this job 4 1/2 years. I was in the same business back from 2003-2010 but was never given the opportunity to get my broker's license even though I did get promoted 2 times. Once the company merged with another agency I was let go along with 2 other people. I was unemployed 2 years, went on different interviews, was depressed, did not want to get out of bed etc...The I took a job at a school in the cafeteria did that for about 1 year, when full time was not offered to me I got a job in a sandwich shop. Loved it for the first 3 years and then my last year there I was hating it. So I sent out my resume and got back into the insurance industry. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health