Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 06:31 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Lubby & Mighty: try a tidbit of jam on those crackers & cream cheese...

For me it's dessert: for many years it was Cake Batter ice cream with cookie dough.
I switched to coconut cream pie with a thin slice of vanilla cheesecake alongside.

I lost 45 pounds quitting the ice cream. 20 to go.
Yes, ice cream. Every few days I seem to buy a container of Haagen Das Dolce de Leche and eat it all. I justify it with the heatwave and it does make me feel better. But if I keep this up I will gain weight. BTW, I'm allergic to dairy but unfortunately finding that nowadays I can eat ice cream every few days and feel fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 02:02 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Lubby & Mighty: try a tidbit of jam on those crackers & cream cheese...

For me it's dessert: for many years it was Cake Batter ice cream with cookie dough.
I switched to coconut cream pie with a thin slice of vanilla cheesecake alongside.

I lost 45 pounds quitting the ice cream. 20 to go.
Never been a great big fan of jellies and jams, but once in a while it hits the spot.

Losing the ice cream was a big factor for me when I lost the 27 pounds in 2020. I ate ice cream just about every day. As a matter of fact, when I was still working, sometimes I'd get off the train, get in my car, it was 6:30 or 7, and I'd drive straight to the family-owned homemade ice cream place about mile from my house and get some. Why the hell not? I was single, working long hours, had no real social life, but dammit, I had ice cream.

When my blood sugar was one point away from diabetic and the doc wanted me to go on metformin, I knew the ice cream had to go. I asked him to hold off, let me do diet and exercise, and he said come back in four months. That was in March. By July I had lost 20 pounds mostly eating a Mediterranean sorta diet, but I still stayed off the ice cream--THE ENTIRE SUMMER--does anyone get what a sacrifice that is? LOL.

Then finally I went to the local ice cream place one time over Labor Day Weekend and treated myself to a scoop in a cup.

Old 08-03-2022, 02:53 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
I have to ask... why is this topic in the mental health forum? I guess having a bad food habit is considered mental?

Old 08-03-2022, 03:28 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,391,623 times
Diet Pepsi. I drink ~6 cans a day and buy it in 24 packs at Wally.

Ultimate favorite treats; KFC (bucket), BBQ Rib steak with the fat still on, Chinese take out, A&W Teen Burgers and their onion rings, McDonalds fries, Ukrainian Borsht (beet/cabbage soup with sour cream), Buffalo wings with blue cheese dip, Greek salad.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:37 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have to ask... why is this topic in the mental health forum? I guess having a bad food habit is considered mental?
Well here's one thing to consider: Not being able to conquer a negative food habit can mess with one's mental health. In the past, I've stressed out about eating too much peanut butter.

And that being said, I was just about to go buy some peanut butter which is mentioned upthread and haven't had in almost 3 months!!! And I don't care that it'll probably trigger a bit of bingeing.

I must need some Vitamin B. "They" say that craving peanut butter means you need Vitamin B.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:36 AM

699 posts, read 1,015,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Yes, for me it can cause mental issues. I am a sugar addict. My personality changes when I eat sugar....I can become depressed, anxious, angry, reactive, hard to be around.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:41 AM

45,431 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Yes, for me it can cause mental issues. I am a sugar addict. My personality changes when I eat sugar....I can become depressed, anxious, angry, reactive, hard to be around.
I'm like that all the time.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:26 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,017,583 times
What is one food habit that is hard for you to break?

I don't have one. I thought about it and I really don't have one particular food that I can't live without.

I used to like my daily coffee many years ago, I made it myself, Turkish coffee/style, very small, with foam, very strong. My parents always asked me to make the coffee, at my first job the same, I had to always make the coffee in the office because...people said it was so good. (I boiled it twice, quickly).

I didn't like that I started to get a little addicted so I decided that I had to get rid of it. And I did, about 30 years ago. Now I would only drink decaf but so rarely...maybe once a year or so.

I can't live without food, this is correct. I can fast for 3 days continuously but I have to drink a little fresh orange juice or milk, at least 2-3 glasses of it during each fasting day. I used to do this once a month, every month, some 8-9 years ago. Plus I used to fast one day/week every week just on fresh orange juice and water.

I like fasting. It's a challenge. Mental. You can increase your will power, plus has lots of benefits for health.

Now I only water fast for 1/2 day or so. I skip breakfast or dinner a few times/week. The following meal after a fast... I find it to be delicious. And it doesn't matter what it is, can be just an apple or some soup. It's always really good!

Old 08-13-2022, 07:24 AM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times
I LOVE food in general...trying new restaurants, etc.

I think my very faves are pizza & Chinese food. I eat one or both every few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health