Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 03:40 AM

109 posts, read 99,085 times

Advertisements

I fired my psychiatrist of ten years at the beginning of July 2022 and requested a transfer of my record to a major teaching hospital. My appointment with the primary care doctor at the new hospital is in September. I have enough medications for six months and 21 days. So, I don’t need to see my psychiatrist. I’m stable, committed to my treatment as always, and haven’t had a relapse requiring hospitalization since 2013. I think I can wait until I get a new psychiatrist.

My former psychiatrist has called me three times this month, asking me for a final session. I don’t owe anything to him, and the reason I fired him was that I felt he was pathologizing aspects of my cultural heritage. In other words, he gave psychiatric names to everyday things in my culture until I couldn’t stand it anymore. I want to see a new doctor because I want a second opinion on my diagnosis. I felt my psychiatrist overdiagnosed me, and I want to review my treatment with a new doctor.

He left me a voicemail yesterday to say that he knows I have enough medications but to call him if I change my mind to restart treatment with him while I wait for my new provider. Starting treatment with him will delay the transfer of my record, and I don’t want that. But his calls are bothering me. I already told him I don’t trust him, and he still calls me. I need suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 06:48 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
He needs income,you are his fixed income,or you were his fixed income.
Just dont answer the phone

Old 07-23-2022, 04:23 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
You don't owe him anything, as you, but if you are taking psychiatric mediation and have suicidal ideation as you say in another thread, your doctor is trying to ensure continuity of care and that you are not a harm to yourself. He has a responsibility to you as medical professional.

Old 07-23-2022, 04:32 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
He needs income,you are his fixed income,or you were his fixed income.
Just dont answer the phone
Considering how difficult it is to find, let alone get appointment time with mental health providers these days I doubt very much this doc is that dependent on ONE patient!

I agree with fleetiebelle. Given your history OP, the followup seems professionally appropriate even if you don't welcome it. If he calls you after you've gotten established with a new provider, just tell him you're receiving services and support. The details shouldn't be necessary. Bring the book you had with your former provider to a civil close. I'll bet the calls cease.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-23-2022 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-23-2022, 09:26 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
I wonder if they are cutting back on Mcd,who can afford paying a shrink?

Old 07-25-2022, 12:05 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomar2007 View Post
I fired my psychiatrist of ten years at the beginning of July 2022 and requested a transfer of my record to a major teaching hospital. My appointment with the primary care doctor at the new hospital is in September. I have enough medications for six months and 21 days. So, I don’t need to see my psychiatrist. I’m stable, committed to my treatment as always, and haven’t had a relapse requiring hospitalization since 2013. I think I can wait until I get a new psychiatrist.

My former psychiatrist has called me three times this month, asking me for a final session. I don’t owe anything to him, and the reason I fired him was that I felt he was pathologizing aspects of my cultural heritage. In other words, he gave psychiatric names to everyday things in my culture until I couldn’t stand it anymore. I want to see a new doctor because I want a second opinion on my diagnosis. I felt my psychiatrist overdiagnosed me, and I want to review my treatment with a new doctor.

He left me a voicemail yesterday to say that he knows I have enough medications but to call him if I change my mind to restart treatment with him while I wait for my new provider. Starting treatment with him will delay the transfer of my record, and I don’t want that. But his calls are bothering me. I already told him I don’t trust him, and he still calls me. I need suggestions.
...suggestions?.... here's one...tell this guy to 'f-off', you're done with him, pretty simple...let him know if he contacts you again you will seek a restraining order from the courts...

Old 07-25-2022, 01:53 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You don't owe him anything, as you, but if you are taking psychiatric mediation and have suicidal ideation as you say in another thread, your doctor is trying to ensure continuity of care and that you are not a harm to yourself. He has a responsibility to you as medical professional.
Glad you did the work to dig into prior thread(s). I was about to remark, "medical professionals take time to follow up with patients when there exists a genuine concern about the patient's health and well-being." Non-response and/or abrupt termination of treatment signals that the patient is heading in a counter-productive direction. Possibly a crisis...in my layman's opinion.

The concern could be legal (obligation), moral/ethical (one hopes!), and/or fiscal as another reply mentions. Hopefully not the latter, but it's possible.

I'm not suggesting OP should or should not reply to the prior psychiatrist absent more information. I blew off my nutritional doctor after failing her weight loss plan not once but twice in 2018 and 2019 but mended the relationship in 2020. It was probably shame on my part. On-analysis I failed the plan, the plan didn't fail me. Granted a weight loss consultation or series-of is not so dire as the quoted words I blued above!

Old 07-26-2022, 12:05 AM

109 posts, read 99,085 times
It’s incredible the number of pseudo psychologists and psychiatrists here diagnosing and concluding my case based on my previous posts. I have medications until January 2022 and will continue taking them, as always, until I get an appointment with my new psychiatrist at the research hospital in September.

The appointments with my psychiatrist of ten years only lasted 15 minutes to check in and see if medications were working. I haven’t had any depressive episodes with suicidal ideation since 2014. I’m the first who cooperate with my doctors. I want to think of myself as an easy patient. But some doctors believe they control one, and I’m not an incompetent patient.

I can wait until I see my new doctor. I already told my former psychiatrist I don’t trust him, and I hope he stops calling me. Doctors exists to help, not to become the patient’s walking stick. I still have a say in my treatment.

Old 07-27-2022, 01:45 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
It’s incredible the number of pseudo psychologists and psychiatrists here diagnosing and concluding my case based on my previous posts.
Well, when you choose to ask total strangers for ideas and opinions on a free, public, general interest forum you need to expect a broad range of replies. C-D has never presented or touted itself as a psychotherapy or analysis resource, so I suspect your expectations were unrealistic. People here can only respond to what you present so if you had an agenda, withheld key information, and presented a biased picture, guess what? As researchers say about data and analysis...garbage in, garbage out.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:13 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
It’s incredible the number of pseudo psychologists and psychiatrists here diagnosing and concluding my case based on my previous posts. I have medications until January 2022 and will continue taking them, as always, until I get an appointment with my new psychiatrist at the research hospital in September.

The appointments with my psychiatrist of ten years only lasted 15 minutes to check in and see if medications were working. I haven’t had any depressive episodes with suicidal ideation since 2014. I’m the first who cooperate with my doctors. I want to think of myself as an easy patient. But some doctors believe they control one, and I’m not an incompetent patient.

I can wait until I see my new doctor. I already told my former psychiatrist I don’t trust him, and I hope he stops calling me. Doctors exists to help, not to become the patient’s walking stick. I still have a say in my treatment.
That seems reasonable.

I don't know that I could have stayed the course of ten years. That would seem to indicate you're serious about your treatment but have gone as far as you can go with this psychiatrist.

I had a depressive episode with suicidal ideation in 2018. I am finally on medication that's working.

I wish you well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health