Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 08:09 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Any ideas on how I can overcome my phobia of the dentist? I absolutely hate going to the dentist...I've gone so far as to jump out of the chair during an exam and take off out of the parking lot with a hole in my tooth. My blood pressure goes sky high when they're just doing a routine exam. I have to have root scaling done and am reluctant to get it done because of the stress and fear. Any advice??
Me too. I have special anti-dentist sweat glands that only activate when I'm in a dentist chair.
I didn't go to a dentist for 20 years after the Navy because of my fear. It's not just fear, it's terror. And I too have fled.
But, I had to get work done, massive work... a few years ago and I had to go in. I kept putting it off until a co-worker told me about a sleep dentistry dentist she went to. She explained that you're given a pill to relax you...it's like Valium but different (Triazolam) and it causes memory not to take.
You take that an hour before you go into the office (so naturally someone must drive you as you're a buzzed blahhead at that point).
They put you in a chair, put a blanket over you, put IV's in your arms and the next thing you know is you're awakened and it's all done. In my case four hours of work and I remember nothing.
But, someone has to drive you home because you're in a different world still when you "wake up". I was told I kept pulling the passenger seat mirror down and admiring my teeth and asking my ex girlfriend over and over and over "don't you like these?"... then I went home and put a kettle of water on for tea and forgot it.
DON'T DRIVE AND DON'T COOK !!! It's best to have someone else in the house with you after sleep dentistry because you are not you for hours and do retarded things.
There's no pain, no memory, it's like sitting down, getting up and magically everything is done. I got all my work done that way
I recommend it!

Last edited by MoMark; 03-09-2007 at 08:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 12:48 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
I've done the laughing gas stuff, Hoosierguy. Makes a world of difference. I've even had cavities filled without novacaine on that stuff. You don't go out, you just kind of "float above the chair" as my former dentist called it. Good stuff! Hang in there. Healthy teeth make a whole big difference in all sorts of health issues. OK, I'm down off my soapbox now.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:56 PM

19 posts, read 64,310 times
It takes a lot to numb me so I have to let them know to look for a sign, put up your hand, immediately for more, and I bring head phones and blast my fav. music to drown out the sound. It is better than having unending pain and more dental problems so hang in there.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:00 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
hey for you dentist weenies like me and a few others here
if you want to mess with your Dentist.
Next time they tell you they are goign to do a procedure
look them dead in the eye keep a straight face and ask
"have you ever had this performed on you? "
No ?
"well then you don't know if this will jurt do you"

lol my dentist realized had this shocked look on her face at first then said "you know ....karla !!!!" and started laughing and said "point taken"

My dentist must think I'm wacky, she is the kind you can really bust chops with , when she said I needed 2 crowns I said " a little short on funds for the vacation this year?"
I guess I should be glad she dopesn't crank the gas and pull all my teeth

Old 03-25-2007, 12:00 AM

31 posts, read 213,137 times
Thank you for bringing that up MYFASK. My nerves used to counteract the anesthetic and it can still wear off quickly. I think it depends on what type of anesthetic they use. If whatever they use wears off quickly you may want to ask them about other options. Most of my family have dental/dentist issues and that didn't help me..
I used to always take a sedative probably Xanex, before I went in. That helped. I finally stopped that. I think what helped me is I found a dentist I trusted. I didn't sit there and wait for it to hurt.
I think that has a lot to do woth it. If you have confidence in your dentist, you don't sit there tensed up waiting for the pain. Most of the problem is the anticipation of it hurting. If you aren't comfortable with your dentist, get referrals and find another one. Get "happy pills" before you go in. They should numb your gum before the numb in and can sometimes move your lip during the shot to make it easier. If you believe your dentist isn't going to hurt you, it helps. And if you feel it at all, you know he'll stop.
Also take a CD player with your favorite music and concentrate on it. I always take mine, unless they have a tv in the ceiling and I can watch a movie.
If you can't do it, check sedation dentistry. But, before you do it, make sure you have a full treatment plan worked out so you know exactly what you need done. You don't want to do just one thing if you have more work.
I had oral surgery recently and he put me out. Very nice, just an I.V. a minute and sleep. You wake up and it's done. But because it costs more and you need somone to drive you home, do several things at once.
I've had my share of work done by dentists, endodonists and oral surgeons.
You'd think we'd all have learned to take care of our teeth by now, but we don't always do what we should.
Do yourself a huge favor, if you don't brush at least twice a day and floss or waterpick - start. The best way to deal with the dentist is not to need anything done.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:46 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
I've had the same problem at the dentist and he even yelled at me once to sit still. I get so nervous and tense, plus my tongue always goes right in is way as if I can't control it. Finially they offered nitrous oxide and it helped but I'm still tense.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,924 times
My dentist uses something called a TLC. It has a TV monitor overhead and these little lights that shine straight in your mouth and not in your eyes at all. I used to hate going to the dentist too because I have sensitive eyes and the big lights drove me crazy, plus it was so boring sitting in the chair for an hour or so. But now, I can watch TV or movies while they work on my teeth and the time just flies by. The doctor said their website is tlcdentist.com

Old 06-29-2007, 08:16 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
If you have sensitive gums, try brushing with that sensodyne for a few weeks before you know you have to go to the dentist. That may help. And get the shot in the gum so they can numb the area they're working on. Yeah the shot pinches, but you don't feel anything much after that. but afterwards you drool...

Old 06-29-2007, 11:59 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Any ideas on how I can overcome my phobia of the dentist? I absolutely hate going to the dentist...I've gone so far as to jump out of the chair during an exam and take off out of the parking lot with a hole in my tooth. My blood pressure goes sky high when they're just doing a routine exam. I have to have root scaling done and am reluctant to get it done because of the stress and fear. Any advice??

You poor baby. I'm the same way, but haven't jumped out of the chair as yet. I hate the place too. I grasp the arms of the chair and am so uptight, my body feels like rigor mortis has set in. I have a time or two pushed the dentist's hands away. He was not pleased.

I close my eyes tightly, but it does not eliminate the fear and stress I'm experiencing. I truly feel your fear, pain, and all that goes with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health