Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:58 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I wake up suddenly when I dream about my father's death. As it is ,I still have a difficult time dealing with it although it's been a little over two years. In the dream I see him physically dying, even though I didn't see it in real life, and then he is gasping for air and telling me he loves me and I start crying and screaming and run to him. Then I wake up screaming and crying as well and it takes me a long while to control the panic and terror I feel when I wake up. Sometimes I have to drink something to help me get back to sleep or watch tv.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 02:03 AM

3 posts, read 8,796 times
yes i still do that alot my best friend commeted sucide a few years back. and i felt for along time it was my fault because i wasn't there. i wonder if it ever goes away. i just take solice he is now at peace hopefully.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:18 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
Maybe in your sleep you are trying to work through his death?

I dreamed about my Dad after he died but it was a real pleasant dream where I woke myself up laughing. I was at peace with his death and maybe that was the differance, you are not at peace with it yet.

Try thinking it through while you are awake. What is it that bothers you about his death? You were not there and that bothers you? (He probably didn't want you there anyway!) Sometimes the dying send their loved one out of the room for something or wait until they leave the room to die. Sometimes they wait until that person is there so they will not die alone. My Mom waitied for me to get there from out of state before she would pass away but she waited until I left the room to actually die. She wanted me there for my sister who don't handle things very good.

Think it through or find someone to talk it through with so you can find peace and acceptance. He wouldn't want you to have nightmares about his death, he wants you to find peace..♥

Old 01-17-2010, 08:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
It took a couple of years for me to accept the death of my parents. I kept waiting until I'd feel normal again.

Once I realized that I would never feel the same and it would never stop hurting, I started to accept their death. Amazingly, it doesn't hurt anymore.

Time does heal these things. It takes a lot of time when it comes to the death of a parent. Have you considered counseling?

Old 01-17-2010, 04:21 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Oh that is awful! I have never had bad dreams, only good ones. My grandfather visted me in a dream. I knew he was dead, but he was coming to say hello and spend time with his granddaughter. I woke up all smiles.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:45 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Hmm, I was just the opposite. When my best friend died about a year ago at 27 I had dreams of him for the first two weeks that were so sad I woke up crying with the area around my heart physically hurting.

The dreams went away but a certain area around my heart aches once in a while when I'm dealing with the loss of loved ones. I'm perfectly healthy BTW.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:59 AM

811 posts, read 1,386,853 times
I never knew my dad, as he died at a young age when I was an infant. My mom tells me of a dream she had, though she was certain that it was real. Not long after he died, her doorbell rang in the middle of the night. She got up to answer it, and it was Dad, just letting her know he was alright. She got great peace from this, real or not.

Several years ago my beloved uncle died. He was like a father to me, and I still miss him terribly. I never had bad dreams about his passing, but the dreams I do have of him ALWAYS have the same theme. He was an avid outdoorsman, and in every dream, he is always showing me where to go to pick mushrooms! It is usually in strange places, like the alley by my house, and these dreams always amuse me.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
It will be one year on Feb. 6 since my father passed and I feel more sad and more guilty about losing him. It doesn't get better.....I keep dreaming that I run into him at horse shows and I realize that he isn't dead and I just made a mistake but I just figure I won't mention it to anybody. What a dope I made such a stupid mistake thinking my father had passed and he hadn't.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:11 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
It will be one year on Feb. 6 since my father passed and I feel more sad and more guilty about losing him. It doesn't get better.....I keep dreaming that I run into him at horse shows and I realize that he isn't dead and I just made a mistake but I just figure I won't mention it to anybody. What a dope I made such a stupid mistake thinking my father had passed and he hadn't.
I am sorry about your father. Anniversaries of death are tough, especially the first one. I think your dream is pretty normal--you want him to not be dead. I was there when my father died--he'd had a heart attack but didn't die right away, and I guess he'd broken his nose when he hit the floor and there was blood all over. He died about 20 minutes later while the paramedics were working on him. They took him to the hospital and we all went, but we could tell he was dead when he was still in the kitchen. I got back home before my mother did and cleaned up all the blood so she wouldn't have to and didn't think of that part again until the first anniversary of his death was approaching. It kept flashing before my eyes--that clotted pool of blood on the kitchen floor, while I was at work or trying to go to sleep, it just kept flashing. Very weird.

Now it's been ten years and it is easier, but I still miss him as you will always miss your dad. Expect February 6 to be difficult. Let yourself mourn and let yourself smile when you remember the good times with him when he was here with you.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:21 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
My mother-in-law died of cancer five weeks before my daughter was born. My daughter is named for her. I never dreamed about her until 18 months later, when I woke that morning after having a dream that she was standing in my living room watching my daughter play on the floor. I was so excited and told my MIL how happy I was that she and my daughter finally met. She turned to me and said, "Oh I've been here the whole time, you just couldn't see me." I was in such a good mood that morning because of that dream.

That happened on February 26, 1993, and I worked at the World Trade Center in NYC. Shortly after noon the bomb went off and we had to get down the stairs. The smoke was filling the stairwells and we were moving so slowly and it was hard to breathe and I started to become lightheaded. I remembered the dream from that morning and thought "OH NO, she was coming to take me with her!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health