Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 04:30 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

ScienceDaily (Apr. 2, 2010) — "Only dopes use dope," goes the memorable warning about drugs. Now a Tel Aviv University researcher cautions that the same goes for cigarettes.

Smoking is dumb: Young men who smoke have lower IQs, study finds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 02:14 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Professor Tel Aviv can take a morning jog to the wailing wall and shove his theory up in between his buns

I smoked in my teens and my college years. Not a chain smoker, though. I smoked for the kick and the "unruly thug" image, especially in the face of other people (other's parents and the culture champs)

The "wow, my kiddo's not so spoiled and unruly" look on the face of the 30-something and the 40+ folks used to send me into hyper-kick levels.

Of course, I'd urinate in my pants if my father were to find my unruly activities. I walked a tight line

And I smoked every other dude and girl in school and college. I was topper in my university many a time, and I used to think I had no equal. So much for the smoking retarding my brains

Old 04-03-2010, 02:28 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Professor Tel Aviv can take a morning jog to the wailing wall and shove his theory up in between his buns

I smoked in my teens and my college years. Not a chain smoker, though. I smoked for the kick and the "unruly thug" image, especially in the face of other people (other's parents and the culture champs)

The "wow, my kiddo's not so spoiled and unruly" look on the face of the 30-something and the 40+ folks used to send me into hyper-kick levels.

Of course, I'd urinate in my pants if my father were to find my unruly activities. I walked a tight line

And I smoked every other dude and girl in school and college. I was topper in my university many a time, and I used to think I had no equal. So much for the smoking retarding my brains
None of this means that it didn't lower your IQ. I don't think the effect is that big, so a couple of IQ points is not that noticeable.

But a lot of times smokers don't even notice (or they deny) other things about their habits that are obvious to everyone else. The smell. The yellowing of teeth. The reduced lung capacity. So you're hardly in a position to be objective.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:37 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
None of this means that it didn't lower your IQ. I don't think the effect is that big, so a couple of IQ points is not that noticeable.

But a lot of times smokers don't even notice (or they deny) other things about their habits that are obvious to everyone else. The smell. The yellowing of teeth. The reduced lung capacity. So you're hardly in a position to be objective.
What level of IQ does it take to be self-righteous and judgmental?

I'm just curious because that seems to be a common affliction among non-smokers.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:11 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
What level of IQ does it take to be self-righteous and judgmental?

I'm just curious because that seems to be a common affliction among non-smokers.
Probably the same as it does to be hyper defensive and in denial.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:35 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,708 times
I'm glad I never got into smoking. I've only smoked 3 or 4 cigs my whole life and I hope to not be smoking too many more.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:58 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,687,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I'm glad I never got into smoking. I've only smoked 3 or 4 cigs my whole life and I hope to not be smoking too many more.

In truth I will never recommend cigarettes to anyone for any reason but I will recommend the pipe to anyone who seeks the calm quiet enjoyment of a simple good bowl of pure tobacco.

Any moron can smoke a cigarette but it takes practice and attention to smoke a pipe correctly.

Oh yes, people forget that many ,if not most, of the world most famous people smoked a pipe. I know Albert Einstein smoked a pipe from his early days at university as a lad. I wouldn't call Albert dumb.....would you?

Old 04-04-2010, 05:46 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
I'll smoke a pipe when I cross 50, perhaps

I'm not ancient yet. Pipes always go with walking sticks, a belly and white hair. I'll wait for my turn.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:11 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,233,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
In truth I will never recommend cigarettes to anyone for any reason but I will recommend the pipe to anyone who seeks the calm quiet enjoyment of a simple good bowl of pure tobacco.

Any moron can smoke a cigarette but it takes practice and attention to smoke a pipe correctly.

Oh yes, people forget that many ,if not most, of the world most famous people smoked a pipe. I know Albert Einstein smoked a pipe from his early days at university as a lad. I wouldn't call Albert dumb.....would you?
That is a ridiculous assertion.

"Most of the world's most famous people smoked a pipe"

First off defining the most famous people is a pretty subjective task....even if you are going to include just folks from Einstein's era you are probably still looking at 5% or less of the "most famous".....hardly a majority..

Old 04-04-2010, 01:08 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,687,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'll smoke a pipe when I cross 50, perhaps

I'm not ancient yet. Pipes always go with walking sticks, a belly and white hair. I'll wait for my turn.
Well not really but I'm sure the pipe smoking community (yes, there really is such a thing) will welcome you to it's ranks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health