Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:10 PM

81 posts, read 238,514 times

Advertisements

I have had numerous jobs, been to a number of clubs and bars, and been around the country mostly, and one thing that seizes to amaze me is why is smoking so prevalent among young Caucasian women. I am not singling them out, it is just a turn off to many of my guy friends who would date white women. However more times than not they smoke, are social smokers, or have smoked in the past.

Seriously I work in an environment that is fairly young, and I will tell you all the white women who work with me smoke and they are probably under the age of 30, yet they do not look under the age of 30 more times than not. The women from other ethnic backgrounds do not and they look a whole lot younger. I see this same pattern in almost every new job I have had, class I have taken, or just simply observing.

Why is it like that? I know there are women of all races who smoke, but I think for the younger generation they would catch on and understand why smoking is bad, and understand the consequences if they engage in the behavior. Just by observation it appears women from other ethnic groups have gotten the message, yet young Caucasian women have not. Why???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 05:50 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,215,272 times
Because its wonderful? Seriously, I still miss smoking. I plan on lighting up when I'm 70 at which point who cares?

Meanwhile I suspect that smoking helps young deal with all the stresses of being a young woman.

Makes your brain feel more alert
Makes you feel more self-confident
gives you something to do with your hands etc. when nervous
Weight

I don't think people realize that no matter how brazen most young women may act - its just that, an act. Somewhere underneath all that tough act is someone who's sort of scared, insecure, trying to figure out who to trust and who not.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:59 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,404 times
I don't see that many women smoking to be honest. Where are you seeing them?

Old 10-30-2010, 06:53 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Because its wonderful? Seriously, I still miss smoking. I plan on lighting up when I'm 70 at which point who cares?

Meanwhile I suspect that smoking helps young deal with all the stresses of being a young woman.

Weight

I don't think people realize that no matter how brazen most young women may act - its just that, an act. Somewhere underneath all that tough act is someone who's sort of scared, insecure, trying to figure out who to trust and who not.

Sure it helps you lose weight-is a causal factor in lung cancer-it's a win win. I think you're joking right. Please tell me you are.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
I rarely see anyone but punk/goth kids smoking. Maybe if you frequent bars or something, you'll see more.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:28 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,769 times
I notice the same thing too. It seems like a lot of young people smoke and it is for some reason white people and an awful lot of them are females. I remember overhearing young girls at work telling other young girls to take up smoking because it will keep you thin. These were anorexic looking girls not the kind that are thin from exercise and diet. I think its most whites smoking because minorities probably can't afford it. I can't think of any Native American, Hispanic, African American or Asian I know that smokes. I hadn't thought about it before now, but its true. How weird! Its also odd cause I know a lot of Asians and in Asia many people smoke, but I don't know of any Asian Americans who do. Maybe the minorities just know better than to smoke or maybe they have better priorities on what to use their money for. Cigarettes are expensive!

Old 10-30-2010, 09:50 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,525,442 times
They smoke because they want to. What's wrong with that?

If you don't want to date them, fine. Just try to avoid the judgmentalism.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:14 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,522,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Sure it helps you lose weight-is a causal factor in lung cancer-it's a win win. I think you're joking right. Please tell me you are.
Some starve themselves and you think Gisela is joking? You don't have to understand why they smoke, but Gisela offered some very good points since she is a former smoker and I gave her +1 for it. I've been smoke free for 2 months, and it isn't a guarantee that it will stick but I will 2nd everything Gisela said.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and that includes you but please let's keep this discussion going and not force the mods to shut it down.

Last edited by myrc60; 10-30-2010 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-30-2010, 10:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I have had numerous jobs, been to a number of clubs and bars, and been around the country mostly, and one thing that seizes to amaze me is why is smoking so prevalent among young Caucasian women. I am not singling them out, it is just a turn off to many of my guy friends who would date white women. However more times than not they smoke, are social smokers, or have smoked in the past.

Seriously I work in an environment that is fairly young, and I will tell you all the white women who work with me smoke and they are probably under the age of 30, yet they do not look under the age of 30 more times than not. The women from other ethnic backgrounds do not and they look a whole lot younger. I see this same pattern in almost every new job I have had, class I have taken, or just simply observing.

Why is it like that? I know there are women of all races who smoke, but I think for the younger generation they would catch on and understand why smoking is bad, and understand the consequences if they engage in the behavior. Just by observation it appears women from other ethnic groups have gotten the message, yet young Caucasian women have not. Why???
Here in the rural Missouri Ozarks overwhelmingly it is lower class people who smoke (which is a LARGE percentage of the population, I might add). I am NOT saying that everyone who smokes is low class. I'm sure that it is different in other parts of the country, I'm just talking about the area where I live.

I think a lot of younger people pick up the habit to seem "cool" to their peers. But again, it is not going to be the validictorian of the class that is going to be hanging around with kids who smoke. It's definitely a class thing here. But again, I am not being critical or saying that this is consistent elsewhere, just where I live. OK? Don't get your panties in a knot.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-30-2010, 10:31 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
They smoke because they want to. What's wrong with that?

If you don't want to date them, fine. Just try to avoid the judgmentalism.
I think the OP's point was the dating pool of white females is seriously limited where they are if you eliminate all the smokers.

I can relate to that myself having asthma and allergies I find there are many, many people I have liked but couldn't date or be friends with since I can't be around smoke. Its nothing to do with being judgemental. Some people can't be around smoke because of their health problems and other people may choose to avoid smokers because they don't want to risk getting cancer from second-hand smoke. It is a real bummer since smoking now seems to be cool again after a decade of seeing its popularlity decline & this popularity has made the dating & friend pool significantly smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health