Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,332,501 times

Advertisements

I'm 37 and will be 38 in the early part of next year. I still consider myself young, so this is not a woe-is-me kind of thread. But at the same time, I realize now that I'm now longer the young buck that I have been for what seems like all of my adult life. I feel like a new stage in my life is coming on, a stage in which I begin thinking about 'sh*t that happens in life'. I realize I'm only 2 years and change from being 40, a bit more than a decade away from being 50, and approaching middle age. I'm moving away from the years of invincibility, and I'm moving to that period where 'things can happen'.

Anyone know what I'm talking about here? I remember my older half-brother wen through this stage and he started becoming a bitter person. I hope that's not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I started to feel older when I turned 40 but it wasn't until I turned 50, just a couple of weeks ago, that it hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm also just getting out of a bad relationship and realize that I wasted 14 years of my life - good years - with this nut.

But I don't have time to be bitter. I realize that no matter what stage of life we are in we will always look back on it and think "I thought I was old? I was young" and make the best of it. Don't put off to tomorrow what you can do today. Instead of worrying about your age get on with your life, you are running out of time.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:02 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Turning 40 didn't bother me too much, but it did feel odd for a couple of days. No big deal. A couple of years before I turned 50, I don't know why it suddenly hit me that yes, I really was going to be in my 50's before long, and it felt just appalling. It was kind of good though because then I adjusted to the idea by the time my 50th birthday actually came. It does make you think a little more about what you're doing with your time, but there's no reason to be bitter and worry about what might have been. Make your life good and meaningful in the here and now.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
I just turned 50.

Turning 50 is the transition from "The Old Age of Youth" to the "The Youth of Old Age."

Old the older I get, the better I was.

Losing ten pounds will make you feel five years younger.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:41 AM

507 posts, read 1,538,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Turning 40 didn't bother me too much, but it did feel odd for a couple of days. No big deal. A couple of years before I turned 50, I don't know why it suddenly hit me that yes, I really was going to be in my 50's before long, and it felt just appalling. It was kind of good though because then I adjusted to the idea by the time my 50th birthday actually came. It does make you think a little more about what you're doing with your time, but there's no reason to be bitter and worry about what might have been. Make your life good and meaningful in the here and now.
Glad to hear you felt better at that 50th birthday. I'm about to be 49 and I'm in a horrible funk about my age. I've been trying to deal with it so I can get on with life, but it's been difficult to shake. I pretty much always have to wear reading glasses now and that sucks, lol.

So I have to say 50 is the number where you truly face the loss of "youth", the OP is a young pup

Old 11-30-2011, 09:36 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
It "dawned" on me one day when I looked into the mirror and realized, with quite a start, that it was my own Grandfather looking back at me.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I hate to say this but this thread is making me feel better. I'm going through a divorce with major money challenges and I feel so incredibly sad. I had such a heartbreaking life and I turn around and I am 50. I did very little that I wanted to, accomplished hardly anything and I am now at the crossroads and don't really know what I am suppose to do next. I'm going to need money soon - yesterday, actually - and I wonder if I am too darn old to reinvent myself.

But I do have an 11-year-old daughter. She keeps me young, keeps me going. I love her with all my heart and she adores me. I am truly blessed. If I have nothing else it doesn't really matter. Somehow I lucked out and got her.

I will admit that turning 50 wasn't as bad as the months leading up to it. I was a tiny bit surprised that I looked exactly like I did when I was 49.

Anyway, sorry to be going with the "misery loves company" motto but maybe there is strength in numbers. As I said in an earlier post, I know I will look back at this when I am 60, 70 - 80 if I'm lucky - and think "Wow, I was such a young whippersnapper!"

Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Ha. When I turned 22, I was living with 5 underclassmen and was faced with leaving college and working for a living. Boy did I feel old!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 AM

507 posts, read 1,538,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I hate to say this but this thread is making me feel better. I'm going through a divorce with major money challenges and I feel so incredibly sad. I had such a heartbreaking life and I turn around and I am 50. I did very little that I wanted to, accomplished hardly anything and I am now at the crossroads and don't really know what I am suppose to do next. I'm going to need money soon - yesterday, actually - and I wonder if I am too darn old to reinvent myself.

But I do have an 11-year-old daughter. She keeps me young, keeps me going. I love her with all my heart and she adores me. I am truly blessed. If I have nothing else it doesn't really matter. Somehow I lucked out and got her.

I will admit that turning 50 wasn't as bad as the months leading up to it. I was a tiny bit surprised that I looked exactly like I did when I was 49.

Anyway, sorry to be going with the "misery loves company" motto but maybe there is strength in numbers. As I said in an earlier post, I know I will look back at this when I am 60, 70 - 80 if I'm lucky - and think "Wow, I was such a young whippersnapper!"
You can absolutely reinvent yourself. I know several people who have done it, and they were older than you. My beef with aging is the loss of youth. It's all around us yet I know I am not really a part of it anymore. At the same time I don't really feel part of the "old people" group yet. Strange. My husband and I are getting ready to move so I'm hoping it will help to make some "older" friends meaning my age I'm sure I'll get over it, but I just wanted to chime in on the reinventing after 50, because people do it every day. Good luck to you. Oh and by the way, congratulations on ending 14 years of BS. Better days are ahead. New beginnings are wonderful no matter what the age

Old 11-30-2011, 11:03 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,543 times
At 37 I was diagnosed with Heart Disease and had pacemakers put in...

I couldnt 'do' what I normally did. My strenght was gone...

At work, I broke every kind of bolt there was, up to 3/4 inch!! (Used to drive my Bosses NUTS).
Then, I found I couldnt do it anymore...Thats when I realized that I wasnt the man I used to be, and it made the bosses happy as all get out LOL...

Now, I retired at 49, and partially disabled. I try to keep a positive attitude, even though Im stuffing down pills by the handfull to keep myself alive-->Better living through Chemistry and Electronice I say

But, I lived to see my Son Graduate from College, and now, my Daughter is in College and I hope to see her Graduate too!

I wish you well...

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health