Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:56 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,935,870 times

Advertisements

I'm 48 and have been told I don't look it (ok ok, so the guy wears glasses but still....). I think I'll feel no longer 'young' when I let fear stop me from doing something I really want to do, if there's nothing else preventing me doing it.

I realize I can no longer wear the same sort of clothes I used to, that I hate most music around today etc...but those things don't make me feel that I'm not 'young', just that I'm mature enough to have well-formed opinions about what I do and don't like. I've always had opinions, don't you worry about that!

Of course, I could just be in denial but I really enjoy telling people how old I am. I prefer that to the mentality of my SIL who said once she didn't like to think about birthdays b/c 'it means you're getting older'. Well duh. :roll eyes:

Anyway, you're only as old as the person you feel. My hubby is a week younger than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 05:24 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,782,313 times
When I hit 60...I am a slow learner!

Old 12-16-2011, 05:29 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,552,203 times
im 63. when i stopped competitive fencing 6 months ago. multiple injuries. not from others but when i executed the advanced moves which i have mastered, now my body responded with damaged ligaments and tendons.
had 4 chronic injuries when i stopped. i am not concerned about bitter, i was already bitter.
so now all this blinding speed, fitness and skill ---is used to garden and grow tomatoes.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:46 AM

26,033 posts, read 22,230,983 times
At 57, I haven't really given that a thought. I am not sure that it matters whether or not I am young. I am young compared to someone who is 80 years old and there a lot of people reaching that age and beyond. I am not "too" young or "too old" so that makes me, "just right" for many years to come.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:31 AM

88,751 posts, read 85,140,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
im 63. when i stopped competitive fencing 6 months ago. multiple injuries. not from others but when i executed the advanced moves which i have mastered, now my body responded with damaged ligaments and tendons.
had 4 chronic injuries when i stopped. i am not concerned about bitter, i was already bitter.
so now all this blinding speed, fitness and skill ---is used to garden and grow tomatoes.

Mmmm, nothing like garden tomatoes...of course you're not in NJ, but I'm sure the CA tomatoes are good, too!

Old 12-16-2011, 05:17 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,007,740 times
Well, I can make some folks feel better: I'm 52 and make less than half of my previous wage. Talk about falling off! I'm considering bankruptcy.
What makes me feel old is seeing younger people with great jobs. I don't envy them, just wish my job was great. But, thankfully, I have one.

I also have laugh lines around my mouth. Oh no!

I wear contact lenses less and glasses more 'cause sometimes I just don't care ... Figure if my makeup, hair, and clothes are on point, the glasses don't matter. People say they make me look older. Oh well ...

Learning to be content with less, too. When I was younger, it took much to make me satisfied. Now, it takes much LESS.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:50 PM

7,151 posts, read 12,708,807 times
Maybe tonight, a Friday night, when I didn't feel like going out and instead opted to stay home with the 'net and a good book...but then, I did hours of yard work and am tired...

Old 12-17-2011, 09:23 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,222,845 times
Being old depends on your attitude. My favorite aunt held a 20 hours a week job until a month before her 80th birthday. She continues to do her own house repairs and physically help out her much younger nieces and nephews with chores. Up until the age of 85 she would frequently say that she would "relax, get a hobby, slow down, etc" when she got old. She is now 87 and still drives (safely), cans her own fruit & vegetables but does admit that she is " getting a little old" probably due to a broken ankle last year. Most of my relatives have the same attitude. Many of my relatives did heavy physical labor, logging, farming, etc until they were well into their 70s or 80s. Two of my aunts, until they were 90 and 92, would take a 2 to 3 mile walk together each morning. I'm turning 60 in a few months and in spite of all of my health problems I feel like I'm in my 20s. I am certainly still young. Perhaps when I hit 90 or 100 I may feel like I'm "not young" but not until then.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:15 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,769,868 times
Quite an interesting thread.

Can't say I have the same feelings. I'm gonna turn 32, but everyone keeps telling me I look way younger. Went to an alumnus get together, and I was told I am aging backwards

It's a weird combination of belief in God, belief in myself, heavy physical activity, passion to learning and the arts (especially Renaissance and sculpture), refusal to use medicine even for a minor fever and let my immune system heal itself, lots of water drinking, positive long-term outlook on life (with of course bouts of short-term negative outlook, who doesn't have these), good sleeping (without sleeping or depression pills), good music, good women, good family which supports me 24/7 and the go-getting "I deserve the best of everything" attitude.

You, every one of you, can adopt this attitude and make yourself happy. Of course, they have to be backed up with real on the ground action. Try a 3 mile jog every am at 6:30, or exercise in the gym at 6 am to 7 am. And then tell me how energized you felt ALL day.

And some of you depressed people, it could REALLY be the weird dozes of chemicals your stethescreeps prescribed you, all through your life. I can count within the fingers of one hand as to how many times I actually went to a doc. Of course, no major illness has hit me yet.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:37 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,377,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Can't say I have the same feelings. I'm gonna turn 32, but everyone keeps telling me I look way younger. Went to an alumnus get together, and I was told I am aging backwards

I was the same way. I always looked younger, a lot younger - except when I was in my teens I looked older - and often went out with men that were younger than me and everyone thought I was the baby in the relationship.

That will change.

It happened to me in my mid-40s when I gained weight. I'm 50 now and don't look it but I'm no longer some young, hot chick. It will happen to you, too. However, it is not the end of the world, I promise. I kind of like it. In fact I was worried that once I got older, doors would close for me. I was very surprised to find that I can get by on my personality just as well. There is something very rewarding in that, in not having to rely on looks anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health