Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you were following the thread, you'd know that it was a response to a tiny number of anecdotal and usually unauthenticated accounts of Mexican police behaving badly. The express purpose of these accounts is to convince people that Mexican police are dangerous, but American police are not, creating a false perception that one plunges into a new danger in Mexico that does not exist in the USA.
Of course that's their purpose. However, you could've easily posted your latest links which are supportive of the honorable police officers in Mexico without making sure that you got in digs on corrupt American police. It's hard to believe those initial links you posted were done in the spirit of equanimity. Not that that matters.

The OP asked if the assertions in his link were true. If you'd read the OP's question, you would know that your initial links were non-responsive. I was just wondering what their purpose was other than to show that we have corrupt officers in this country, just like Mexico. I don't see how that relates to the OP's question.

Yes, I do have an idea of know how many Mexican law enforcement officers have been tortured and killed as well as how many of their families have been tortured and killed trying to protect their communities. I am also very well aware that not "all of Mexico is corrupt" anymore than we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Can the U.S. news write anything positive about Mexico or is it all this type of BS? Mexican emergency isn't slow. I've never heard from anyone that it is illegal to render aid at an accident.

I'm a foreigner living in Mexico so maybe my Mexican neighbors can add to this story.
Not all news is BS, I think there's positive news but you'll not find it referenced on this forum, especially when there's an entire sub-forum dedicated almost entirely to hating Mexicans. I just don't understand that. It's embarrassing.

If someone wants to believe there's nothing else to Mexico other than unsubstantiated horror stories, there's not a whole lot you can do about it. I mean, if they're susceptible to being easily influenced and have a limited knowledge of a country to begin with and refuse to do a little research to validate or refute something, how are you going to change that?

I knew a number of Mexican nationals where I used to live...they loved their country and not one of them had ever come close to saying that "all of Mexico is corrupt."

Old 02-21-2011, 03:58 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
This part of the first story on Spring break - Nolan Webster break - Spring Cancun Mexico is pure bull and shows how these story tellers exaggerate:

Electric bills are sent out every two months. Electric per kilowatt hour is higher in Mexico. Except for the hot beach areas, we don't need air-conditioning or heat in the winter. Someone with a pool and using lots of electric in my area will have a $100 USD a month bill the average is $20 USD a month for most of us.

A business like a store can have a high bill due to refrigeration and air but in the $200 USD a month range not thousands.

Why would "drug lords" waste their time extorting businesses out of a few pesos when they can make more selling drugs? That's just stupid.
My friend's (from Tabasco) parents pay about $200 per two-month billing period, but they have a pool and 4 or 5 air conditioners.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Of course that's their purpose. However, you could've easily posted your latest links which are supportive of the honorable police officers in Mexico without making sure that you got in digs on corrupt American police. It's hard to believe those initial links you posted were done in the spirit of equanimity. Not that that matters.
My response was to a poster who cast a generalized comment on the Mexican police. Compared to what? Why, compared to the police the poster is accustomed to as an evreyday feature of life. In other words, contraxted with American police.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:45 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,342,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
My friend's (from Tabasco) parents pay about $200 per two-month billing period, but they have a pool and 4 or 5 air conditioners.
I assume you mean the State of Tabasco. Where it's hotter and closer to sea level Mexico (CFE) charges less per KWH.

Where I am we seldom need an air-conditioner, maybe one or two days a year one would be nice, but they're not necessary. If someone here ran several air-conditioners and a pool pump, the electric bill could be close to $200 a month because we pay a higher KWH rate than does Tabasco. I know someone whose electric bill was $4000 MX ( about $350 USD) almost every month because of old wiring, old pool pump, old meter, and they were not careful with their electric.

Mexico tries to keep electric use down by making those who use the most pay at a higher KWH rate. Certain areas like at sea level, the hotter areas, get a lower rate.

If one goes over a certain KWH amount within a 6 month period, he will be bumped into a higher rate per KWH. If he goes over that rate in the next 6 months, he will get bumped again into a higher rate. It makes people aware of how much electric they are using.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
20-year old girl is the chief of police, to replace the one who was assassinated, because everyone else was afraid to accept the risk attendant to the job..
http://www.eduinreview.com/blog/2010...n-border-town/ (broken link)
She was killed also.

Cops in Mexico are paid about $600 USD a month. It isn't that much cheaper to live in Mexico folks. I don't know how one lives on that little. They don't have the security cops NOB have. If they are killed or wounded, it's pretty much "tough luck" to the cops and their families.

I have to admire the cops who risk their lives everyday in Mexico because they are killed almost everyday. It is a far more dangerous job than being a cop NOB (North of the Border.)

They take bribes sometimes and we pay them. It's a joke to many expats that the same expats are always pulled over around lunch time and they give the same cops $50 MXP ($4 USD) for lunch instead of getting a $12 MXP ticket.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
She was killed also.
I had not heard that. Do you have a link to confirm that Marisol Valles García has been killed?

Old 02-22-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
I had not heard that. Do you have a link to confirm that Marisol Valles García has been killed?
I got her confused with the other two female police chiefs who have been killed. She's surviving so far.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/wo.../12mexico.html

Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I got her confused with the other two female police chiefs who have been killed. She's surviving so far.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/wo.../12mexico.html
Thanks, I hadn't heard about those, either.

It might be worth noting that so far this year, in only 51 days, there have been 15 American law enforcement officers killed by gunfire in the USA, six of them in Florida. The last one was yesterday, in St. Petersburg, FL. Two of them were women.

http://www.odmp.org/search.php?searching=1&yearfrom=2011&yearto=2011&c ause=19 (broken link)

At the present rate, there will be more than 100 American LEOs killed by gunfire in 2011. In the past three years, the number has steadily risen: 40, 47, 59.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-22-2011 at 08:54 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I hadn't heard about those, either.

It might be worth noting that so far this year, in only 51 days, there have been 15 American law enforcement officers killed by gunfire in the USA, six of them in Florida. The last one was yesterday, in St. Petersburg, FL. Two of them were women.

Search Results For: from 2011 to 2011 (http://www.odmp.org/search.php?searching=1&yearfrom=2011&yearto=2011&c ause=19 - broken link)

At the present rate, there will be more than 100 American LEOs killed by gunfire in 2011. In the past three years, the number has steadily risen: 40, 47, 59.
Looks like the U.S. might be a dangerous place to visit.

I have had people writing to me stating that they have witnessed law enforcement dragging men out and shooting them. My answer is that MX LEO might have decided that having their families killed in retaliation when they arrest a bad guy, is not worth it and outright killing the bad guys is safer. They might have decided to act more like Xe (Blackwater) would if it had been given the job of wiping out the cartels. The cartels are terrorists not simple criminals and should be treated like terrorists.

The sad statistics and why law enforcement, judges and politicians are afraid of these people:
Mexican Drug War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
1,000+ Police, judges and prosecutors killed
200 Soldiers killed
208 Federal Police killed
58 reporters killed.

121,199 cartel members detained but only 8,500 convicted
Total deaths:

Quote:
62 killed in 2006
2,837 killed in 2007
6,844 killed in 2008
9,635 killed in 2009
15,273 killed in 2010
1,133 killed in 2011
Total killed: 35,784 (December 2006–February 2011)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico