Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
That stat appears to be grossly wrong (too high). According to NationMaster.com, the weighted worldwide average per capita murder rate is .1 per 1,000 people (or, one person in 10,000). That is 20 times less than the statistic you gave.
That's per year. For a normal lifetime of a typical murder victim, you'd have to multiply it by about 30 or 40, because every year, you have the accumulated exposures. In your lifetime, you'd have 30 or 40 chances in 10,000 of being one of those annual victims. In other words, if you lived to be 10,000, eventually the odds would catch up with you and somebody would knock you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
I'm sure when I moved from AZ to CA that I gained at least 10 years of life.
Yeah, because Arizona's new governor has appointed Death Panels.

It's also a life expectancy factor that the USA has a higher Obesity rate than Mexico. And the USA obesity rate would be higher still, if it weren't for all those comparatively slim Mexicans lowering the average. And, Mexican soft drinks contain cane sugar, not HFCS. The consumption of more healthful Cokes in Mexico probably more than offsets the risk of being murdered. And capsaicin in hot chilis is widely held to reduce both cancer and heart attacks.
http://www.naturalhealthweb.com/articles/SixWise16.html

Last edited by jtur88; 04-16-2011 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,471,813 times
What's weird is that Mexico's avg life expectancy is higher than the average life expectancy for people of Mexican descent in the US.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
What's weird is that Mexico's avg life expectancy is higher than the average life expectancy for people of Mexican descent in the US.

Not weird at all if you consider the daily diet of each one. And affordable access to health care in Mexico, which is now phasing in universal health care, which is already in place for low-income Mexicans. Whereas about half of all Americans of Mexican ancestry probably have no health insurance at all.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not weird at all if you consider the daily diet of each one. And affordable access to health care in Mexico, which is now phasing in universal health care, which is already in place for low-income Mexicans. Whereas about half of all Americans of Mexican ancestry probably have no health insurance at all.
I'm also not surprised. I don't think it's lack of health care in either country because they get free health care in the USA or Medicaid but they eat better in Mexico and get some exercise in Mexico. The USA has too much of a good thing, the easy life, too many food stamps.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:48 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm also not surprised. I don't think it's lack of health care in either country because they get free health care in the USA or Medicaid but they eat better in Mexico and get some exercise in Mexico. The USA has too much of a good thing, the easy life, too many food stamps.
Fast food joints are springing up all over in Mexico and big chain grocers are well stocked with sweets and processed foods. The junk food diet is coming to Mexico and I think that is going to be a serious drag on Mexican health in the future.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:18 PM

972 posts, read 3,927,313 times
obesity is a real problem NOW in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico