Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:55 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,340,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buahh View Post
Yep, that's them White Mexkins.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:29 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
I know there are white Mexicans. I knew quite a few of them growing up. Medium brown hair, white skin, and green eyes, for example, wasn't that uncommon. Different European peoples stomped on the place.

Still, I wouldn't live anywhere where I would be considered a "gringo." I immediately think of an ignorant person with a poncho and a sombrero somewhere in west Texas sitting on a mule. I hope they don't have a word like that in Argentina and Uruguay. They seem too Euro-centric to buy into that mindset.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,340,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I know there are white Mexicans. I knew quite a few of them growing up. Medium brown hair, white skin, and green eyes, for example, wasn't that uncommon. Different European peoples stomped on the place.

Still, I wouldn't live anywhere where I would be considered a "gringo." I immediately think of an ignorant person with a poncho and a sombrero somewhere in west Texas sitting on a mule. I hope they don't have a word like that in Argentina and Uruguay. They seem too Euro-centric to buy into that mindset.
Foreigners throughout South America are called "Gringos."

Talk:gringo - Wiktionary

Quote:
Gringo is not a term for an American. It means "someone who speaks a strange language." It is used to describe Italians and Brazilians, and the Brazilians use it to describe Spanish speakers.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:10 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
My experience in Mexico is that "gringo" is most often used by Mexicans to describe a white extranejero -foreigner believed to be from either the United States or Canada. The word is used as a pejorative as well as an easy neutral description, depending upon who is using it, the inflection, circumstances, etc. Mexicans often use such descriptions, strange as it may seem to people unfamiliar with the culture, without negative connotations: "gordo", "güero", "negro", "flaco".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.